Old 12-16-2019, 18:46   #1
cbtengr
Area Commander

RUGER VAQUERO

Christmas came early this year. Decided to treat myself to a stainless steel Ruger .357 magnum 4.62 inch barrel. Regarding that box of ammo in the picture, I'm too cheap to buy the .357 magnum bullets LOL. I ordered one box of 250 rounds, they billed me for one but sent four boxes. They inform me they do not allow returns on ammunition I guess I'm stuck with those additional 750 rounds. Much thanks to Box for his advice he gave me much to think about.

Ruger .357.jpg
Old 12-16-2019, 20:17   #2
Box
Quiet Professional

Nice looking six shooter.

You are going to have a good time with it. Now all you need is a cowboy hat and some jingly spurs !!!
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 21:44   #3
tonyz
Area Commander

Cbtengr best wishes for many happy and healthy years with your new pistola.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:12   #4
have_gun
Asset

Next?

If I may offer a suggestion: A Stainless Steel .357 Magnum Lever Action Rifle to match that handsome pistol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wm_1636453.jpg (12.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-17-2019, 12:19   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

hm....
The Ruger Vaquero is a fine modern day interpretation of the Single Action Army pistol that helped win the American West.

While I am a big fan of Marlin rifles...
...a YUGE fan of the Marlin 1894 Series specifically, I must zealously disagree with your suggestion that a Marlin would be the correct rifle to pair with a Vaquero.
That would be like the wait staff at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse suggesting that he pair his Bone-In filet with a glass of Moscato.

- if ever someone needs a rifle to pair with the SAA or any one of its numerous clones, that rifle would be a Winchester Model of 1873 - the RIFLE that helped win the west - perhaps even a Model 66 were he so inclined...
...and that rifle should be chambered in the exact same caliber as his pistol so all in the Universe can be at peace.

Honest mistake - this one is on the house - just try to be more careful next time so we dont get a rip in the very fabric of time and space
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

Last edited by Box; 12-17-2019 at 12:22.
Old 12-17-2019, 13:01   #6
cbtengr
Area Commander

My rifle, not a MDL 73 however a MDL 92 32-20. Were I to get a rifle it would be as you suggested in the same calibre as my handgun.

MDL92.jpg
Old 12-17-2019, 13:23   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

THAT is a nice rifle.

any idea when it was built?

Old 12-17-2019, 14:24   #8
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
THAT is a nice rifle.

any idea when it was built?
1912, I got it at the big Louisville show a few years back, I have a Carbine same calibre and condition mfd in 1914. Fun to shoot and reload for.

Carbine.jpg
Old 12-17-2019, 14:56   #9
have_gun
Asset

Thank you for the re-direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
hm....
The Ruger Vaquero is a fine modern day interpretation of the Single Action Army pistol that helped win the American West.

While I am a big fan of Marlin rifles...
...a YUGE fan of the Marlin 1894 Series specifically, I must zealously disagree with your suggestion that a Marlin would be the correct rifle to pair with a Vaquero.
That would be like the wait staff at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse suggesting that he pair his Bone-In filet with a glass of Moscato.

- if ever someone needs a rifle to pair with the SAA or any one of its numerous clones, that rifle would be a Winchester Model of 1873 - the RIFLE that helped win the west - perhaps even a Model 66 were he so inclined...
...and that rifle should be chambered in the exact same caliber as his pistol so all in the Universe can be at peace.

Honest mistake - this one is on the house - just try to be more careful next time so we dont get a rip in the very fabric of time and space
My apologies, I was careless and grabbed the first pic I found without regard for the correct genre, obviously in disregard for the intended audience.

As you stated, the caliber must match that of the pistol for to do otherwise may result in more than just a rip in space and time, but carrying excess ammo.

I prefer a hearty Cabernet Sauvignon with my Filet.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:14   #10
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Christmas came early this year.
That is a fine lookin' gun. I had one awhile back in 45 Colt, 3-1/2" bbl. Fun belly gun with a big bang. Some real fun with these can be had after learning it, you, and the cartridge; then carry it over to the flannel shirts at the rifle range & start lobbing them onto a target at 100yds and further.

Merry Christmas! Very pretty indeed, sir.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:28   #11
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
.......... start lobbing them onto a target at 100yds and further. Merry Christmas! Very pretty indeed, sir.

So are you available to teach me how to hit something at 100 yds. with it?
Old 12-18-2019, 13:30   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
So are you available to teach me how to hit something at 100 yds. with it?
If I survive this pneumonia thing. Use a 6 o'clock hold, just keep shooting the same load at increasing distances and you will learn how "proud" to have that front sight above the notch. There are also some fun readings from Elmer Keith; one of his jobs seemed to be to inflict ridicule against know-nothing writers. One called a shot of his "lucky" after it was done, on demand in front of him, and he famously replied:

"Well, it does seem the more I practice the luckier I get."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 12-18-2019, 16:24   #13
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
If I survive this pneumonia thing. Use a 6 o'clock hold, just keep shooting the same load at increasing distances and you will learn how "proud" to have that front sight above the notch. There are also some fun readings from Elmer Keith; one of his jobs seemed to be to inflict ridicule against know-nothing writers. One called a shot of his "lucky" after it was done, on demand in front of him, and he famously replied:

"Well, it does seem the more I practice the luckier I get."
Pneumonia no fun ! I use to get that once every couple years then I quit smoking in 2011, a very smart move on my part. And then the I received a pneumonia vaccination. I have not had any problems since. I wish you well!

I shall take your advice as far as practice is concerned. I just got a set of loading dies today powder and primers I plan on having lots of fun. Take care of yourself and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2019, 19:18   #14
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

Cool coincidence

Just today Mom gave me my Uncle Norman's model 94 , 30-30.
As well as his model 62 , .22.

The 22 was the gun I learned to shoot with and the 30-30 was used to take my first deer.

They will not be safe queens and if Skadi favors me they will put me at on the table.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:04   #15
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat in the hat View Post
As well as his model 62 , .22.

The 22 was the gun I learned to shoot with
Likewise. Congrats on that. Those little things are slick; and a good one is worth every penny. Load up a tube of CB Longs & watch big grown men paste big stupid grins on their faces.

Last edited by Badger52; 12-19-2019 at 20:08. Reason: stupid keyboard