Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 20:14   #1
conductingCHAOS
Asset

obtaining packing list items during SOPC or Airborne?

First off I'd like to say I know that "there are no magic carpets." No piece of equipment is going to get me through SFAS but there are still a few recommended items I'd like to obtain beforehand such as a waterproof map case, and other items recommended in the SFAS advice thread and Warrior Mentors book.

Going in as an 18X, I'm not going to be allowed these items at BCT / infantry OSUT. I thought that I might get them ahead of time then have family bring them to me at graduation but I'm not sure what all I'll be allowed to have at jump school either.

If I don't get the items ahead of time then I'll have to acquire everything during airborne at Fort Benning or SOPC at Fort Bragg. Seeing as airborne is only 3 weeks, I can't imagine having much free time to visit the PX or if I will even be allowed to do so.

Will there be time during airborne or SOPC to visit the PX? Will the PX have most of what's on the SFAS recommended packing list?
Old 06-24-2012, 21:46   #2
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

You will be issued everything that is on the packing list for SFAS...

Whether or not that is what is needed for you to be successful is entirely up to you.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 06-24-2012, 21:51   #3
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Worry about Basic and Airborne first.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48   #4
conductingCHAOS
Asset

both of your points taken. Respectfully, I am trying to follow advice from other QP's in the SFAS Advice thread and Warrior Mentors book. Each have a list of recommended items that are allowed in addition to what is issued. I understand this will not make or break my time at selection but it's been recommended for a reason.

I am not necessarily "worrying" though I am thinking of Basic and Airborne first. I'm seeking someone who has experienced Airborne and SOPC to let me know how much free time I'll have to do things such as visit the PX.

As an 18X candidate I must always have SFAS in the back of my mind as I carry out my initial training or I will not be prepared.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:33   #5
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by conductingCHAOS View Post
I am trying to follow advice from other QP's in the SFAS Advice thread and Warrior Mentors book.
Then follow the advice. It's good advice . . .

Need permission? Fine. Tell em, "Dozer said I could"
Old 06-25-2012, 06:03   #6
conductingCHAOS
Asset

I feel I've been polite as possible in posing my questions. I haven't found a lot of information on the airborne and SOPC courses around here so I thought I might be requesting information that, when answered, might also help others in my situation, and become a decently valuable thread on this board.

Last edited by conductingCHAOS; 06-25-2012 at 06:21. Reason: retracted cheeky statements
Old 06-25-2012, 06:04   #7
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
both of your points taken. Respectfully, I am trying to follow advice from other QP's in the SFAS Advice thread and Warrior Mentors book. Each have a list of recommended items that are allowed in addition to what is issued. I understand this will not make or break my time at selection but it's been recommended for a reason.
WE KNOW what is recommended and WE KNOW why. But if you aren't able to get those things that will make your life "easier"...then what?

You are worrying about the wrong thing...

eta:

Your statement about getting off on withholding is entirely uncalled for and smacks of immaturity. Stomping your little bare feet, clenching your fists, and whining about not getting what you want after you have contributed exactly ZERO to this board in your 4 posts is telling about your chances for success in the program.

Keep it up and your "lesson in patience' will be you being banned from this site and you can carry your happy self someplace else.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 06-25-2012 at 06:08.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:08   #8
conductingCHAOS
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
WE KNOW what is recommended and WE KNOW why. But if you aren't able to get those things that will make your life "easier"...then what?

You are worrying about the wrong thing...
Then I suppose I will have to do my best with what I have. If I'm told that's the case than I will accept it, but why not attempt to utilize everything I possibly can to my advantage?

I am capable of concerning myself with more than one thing at a time. PT is my biggest concern and I am taking appropriate measures but I do have free time when I'm not working out and I like to use it to address other issues.

What can I do to contribute to the board?

Last edited by conductingCHAOS; 06-25-2012 at 06:11.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:18   #9
Millcity
Asset

Quote:
Then I suppose I will have to do my best with what I have. If I'm told that's the case than I will accept it, but why not attempt to utilize everything I possibly can to my advantage?

I am capable of concerning myself with more than one thing at a time. PT is my biggest concern and I am taking appropriate measures but I do have free time when I'm not working out and I like to use it to address other issues.

What can I do to contribute to the board?

One of the few things you can count on in the army is a mailing address and since you will be state-side the mail room shouldn’t have any problems finding you as you switch from unit to unit.

Prior to deployment some folks set up an 'A' box, 'B' box, 'C' box etc with various known items. Once you get to a location with a good mailing address you can call up/write the lady friend/mom and tell her to send 'B' box, based on what you need.

Before you leave you could pack up one of those flat rate boxes and have someone ship it when you feel you have a solid address. I am confident you would have time to go out and by some things but by having it shipped you don’t have to worry about it and you don’t have to carry it.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:31   #10
Prester John
Quiet Professional

Cherry,

This place is populated from top to bottom with Special Forces soldiers that you WILL be interacting with in the near future. Be mindful that some of these "Professional soldiers" are up to the General level, and others certainly have the ability to figure out who you are.

This is not your typical message board... a few answers in quorum here are all you'll ever get, just like in the community. When you get one answer from one NCO in your training, it's best not to try and hunt down the answer you wanted from another one. They talk and remember immaturity.

As for the gear you want: It'll be available, you'll have time to get it, and in the end it won't make a difference on whether you get selected or not.

V/R,
Another one of your future instructors... maybe.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:31   #11
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Will there be time during airborne or SOPC to visit the PX? Will the PX have most of what's on the SFAS recommended packing list?
Yes - Yes (and if not, the numerous surplus stores just off-post will).

Now - go do PT and focus on your 25m target.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 06-25-2012, 06:32   #12
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Chaos,

Pause for a moment and consider the reality of what you are asking?

"Will I get any time off to shop once I enlist in the military."

You have ZERO military experience at this time, and you are persistently asking questions that are extremely basic in nature. There is a very excellent possibility that once you actually begin your military career and experience some sort of training that many of these answers will be revealed. You may find that the recommended packing list no longer applies, and then you'll actually have to use your own reasoning skills to pack your rucksack.

Whatever the next few months brings for you, I would strongly recommend that you do not use "deferment" as an excuse to your Drill Sgt's or Cadre when you do not get the answer you want to hear to your questions:

"Respectfully, I am trying to follow advice from other QP's in the SFAS Advice thread and Warrior Mentors book"

It doesn't resonate well in here, and it will not resonate very well in person either.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:36   #13
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Or, like a majoirty of those QPs on this forum who went to SFQC before social networking and the internet, you can just do a lot of PT, alot of rucking and go. Let the chips fall where they may and quit being petulent.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44   #14
conductingCHAOS
Asset

@Prester John - I will keep that in mind.

@Millcity & Richard - Thank you, I appreciate your direct responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
Chaos,

Pause for a moment and consider the reality of what you are asking?

"Will I get any time off to shop once I enlist in the military."

You have ZERO military experience at this time, and you are persistently asking questions that are extremely basic in nature. There is a very excellent possibility that once you actually begin your military career and experience some sort of training that many of these answers will be revealed. You may find that the recommended packing list no longer applies, and then you'll actually have to use your own reasoning skills to pack your rucksack.

Whatever the next few months brings for you, I would strongly recommend that you do not use "deferment" as an excuse to your Drill Sgt's or Cadre when you do not get the answer you want to hear to your questions:

"Respectfully, I am trying to follow advice from other QP's in the SFAS Advice thread and Warrior Mentors book"

It doesn't resonate well in here, and it will not resonate very well in person either.
You are right, as a civilian with no military experience I have only a small inclination about the world I am entering. I realize many of my basic questions will be answered at BASIC training. I dislike the unknown and it's in my nature to seek answers as soon as I have a thought about them. I apologize for bothering seasoned soldiers to whom my simple questions must seem below recognition. I normally direct such questions to my recruiters but as their MOS' have not taken them through airborne or SFAS, they are not very helpful in that regard.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:52   #15
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Every QP on this board has been where you are. (Millcity has not, and he should not be posting answers to any pipeline training related questions.)

No one on this board looks to deter or obstruct others from the path we have proudly taken.

No one on this board will make the difference between success and failure for you.

Read more, post less.

Good Luck and do your best.

Last edited by blue02hd; 06-25-2012 at 06:54.
Closed Thread