Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03   #106
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheepdog View Post
I can sell you reinforced rice paper...that way you will be guaranteed to pass. ;
Hmm...I don't know. I would not want to do anything to upset sensei. I'll take three rolls.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:49   #107
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Rex Kwon Do has a good six week program for only 300 bucks.
Quote:
$300? That is a bargain.
Lol. Only if you're serious about becoming a pro "cage fighter."
Old 03-19-2012, 09:51   #108
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Lol. Only if you're serious about becoming a pro "cage fighter."
I don't think there is much to gain fighting cages. Seriously though...just how much more advertising can they put on those speedos, er um shorts, I mean uniforms?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:31   #109
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarski View Post
I don't think there is much to gain fighting cages. Seriously though...just how much more advertising can they put on those speedos, er um shorts, I mean uniforms?
Cage fighters wear Flag pants. Know anybody who wants a roundhouse kick to the face wearing those bad boys?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:46   #110
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
I always found it rather unfortunate that many of them had/have large advertisements for "Condom Depot" on their backsides. Kind of an unfortunate ad placement if you ask me.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:28   #111
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
I don't think there is much to gain fighting cages.
Didn't watch "Napolean," huh? No big loss, there.

Quote:
I always found it rather unfortunate that many of them had/have large advertisements for "Condom Depot" on their backsides. Kind of an unfortunate ad placement if you ask me.
Lol. Hadn't really noticed that until now. I was fairly interested in watching MMA sports in the beginning, but all the added drama, IMHO, overshadows any respectable qualities the organizations might have had.

Now, I think of it as something akin to "pro wrestling." Sort of a shame, since boxing is down the tubes these days.
Old 03-19-2012, 14:08   #112
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Didn't watch "Napolean," huh? No big loss, there.

Lol. Hadn't really noticed that until now. I was fairly interested in watching MMA sports in the beginning, but all the added drama, IMHO, overshadows any respectable qualities the organizations might have had.

Now, I think of it as something akin to "pro wrestling." Sort of a shame, since boxing is down the tubes these days.
No, 'Mano-not in the case of Faber v. Cruz, Spider v. Chael or any time Clay Guida fights. Or most of the others, either.

I fought full contact and it's painful and real. Nothing like pro wrestling.

As for your blithely scathing reference to the Nappy Dyno movie, shame on you.
Old 03-19-2012, 14:10   #113
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Dupe

Last edited by Dusty; 03-19-2012 at 17:23.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 17:14   #114
Sarski

Flag pants? That is what they fit all those ads on, huh? Round house to the face is for people who need to learn to not block roundhouses with their faces. Probably hurts more with steel toe and heal boots on, but that would be pain beyond the friendly compitition pain in the gym or televised on FOX network...maybe they could show that on PPV.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:36   #115
grigori
Guerrilla

Tommy Lee Jones would be so proud after watching this(heart,heart,lung)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELPl2...eature=related
grigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:04   #116
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigori View Post
Tommy Lee Jones would be so proud after watching this(heart,heart,lung)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELPl2...eature=related
More MMA type approach. IMHO I think this approach is a disservice to the MA student. I think a student should only study one style at a time. Essentially devote their life to it. This does not mean you can' t choose a different art to study at a later time, but study one at a time till you find both a great instructor and a single MA that you gravitate toward, like a force sucking you in.

Then learn that single MA forwards, backwards, up, down, sideways for a couple of decades. Devote your life to it and you will come away with a very indepth understanding of martial arts in general, mixed or not, regardless of style, because at those levels of training style is not important, and the distinctions of different styles and even technique (secret or not) tend to merge, and blend.

So better, again IMHO, to master one style in the years one puts into training, than trying to divide that time among many different styles because it is the latest fad, or based on TV pragramming, or what everyone else is doing.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:07   #117
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
More MMA type approach. IMHO I think this approach is a disservice to the MA student. I think a student should only study one style at a time. Essentially devote their life to it. This does not mean you can' t choose a different art to study at a later time, but study one at a time till you find both a great instructor and a single MA that you gravitate toward, like a force sucking you in.

Then learn that single MA forwards, backwards, up, down, sideways for a couple of decades. Devote your life to it and you will come away with a very indepth understanding of martial arts in general, mixed or not, regardless of style, because at those levels of training style is not important, and the distinctions of different styles and even technique (secret or not) tend to merge, and blend.

So better, again IMHO, to master one style in the years one puts into training, than trying to divide that time among many different styles because it is the latest fad, or based on TV pragramming, or what everyone else is doing.

Thanks for reading.
OK. I'll make a deal. You kick Lyoto Machida's ass with one style, and I'll be your Grasshopper.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:08   #118
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:

Thanks for reading.
I would argue that the video showed a fighting style more than a martial art. The instructor did provide some discussion on philosophy and what-not, but from the limited demonstratoin and discussion provided in the clip, I don't see the art component of this. YMMV...
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02   #119
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
OK. I'll make a deal. You kick Lyoto Machida's ass with one style, and I'll be your Grasshopper.
There will always be someone bigger and badder around the corner. Even those who train in his approach can't always beat the #6 man. However, if we take a look at the masters who specialized in the arts they made famous, like Jigoro Kano and judo, we can clearly see a highly developed skill set that is not relying on brute force, swift kicks to the head, repetitive punches to the head on the ground which may or may not have an effect , or rules designed to keep a bout running for sake of spectators.

Even H. Gracie (taught by a couple of judo Black Belts who failed miserably when dispatched to the US to show the US Army some judo, and for shame could not return to Japan) was beaten in Brazil by Kimura.

Yet many would rather study Gracies BJJ, as opposed to actual judo, which Kimura was trained.

One style is all one needs. One technique can finish any fight. Finding the right one, and opportunity is the key.

I don't know, maybe I am a little old fashioned, I prefer mastery to a jack of all trades.

Also, as I study aikido, I realize that it is not the perfect style, and has its own shortcommings, but one can't begin to understand and deal with that until actually having spent time in an art.

There are no perfect styles, no perfect techniques...no perfect men, afterall.

No, I would not back down, if it was already too late for me to avoid conflict, or I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...oops.

Again, based on my observations and oppinions.

Besides, how do we know I could'nt learn a thing or two from you as well? Maybe I'd be your grasshopper!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:07   #120
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
I would argue that the video showed a fighting style more than a martial art. The instructor did provide some discussion on philosophy and what-not, but from the limited demonstratoin and discussion provided in the clip, I don't see the art component of this. YMMV...
Right, sir. Analogous to this: If I need to have a brain tumor excised, do I go to a GP MD? I think I would prefer a competent neuro surgeon who has specialized in that area of medicine to save my life.

Edit to add: preferably one in his/her sixties or seventies that has say more than a few under their belt.

Last edited by Sarski; 03-25-2012 at 10:11.