Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-09-2004, 06:47   #46
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by militarymoron
do let us know how you like them - i always like to hear 2nd opinions from others that may put them through different uses than i.
cheers,
MM
MM:

I know that you don't like the term "gear whore", but that term is more appropriate to others than you.

It occurs to me that you have moved into an entirely different realm, and I see you more as a "gear pimp" now.

Now where is the TS with the report on those gloves?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:20   #47
militarymoron
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
MM:

I know that you don't like the term "gear whore", but that term is more appropriate to others than you.

It occurs to me that you have moved into an entirely different realm, and I see you more as a "gear pimp" now.

Now where is the TS with the report on those gloves?

TR
just spreadin' the word, brother.
hey, if i'm pimpin', aren't i supposed to get a cut of the sale? i must be pimpin' all wrong.
cheers,
MM
militarymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:23   #48
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Pimp gloves??
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 13:08   #49
eyes

Last edited by eyes; 10-16-2007 at 12:19.
Old 03-09-2004, 17:42   #50
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Id rather be called a gear whore than a gear queer LOL.
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:26   #51
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I'll tell you guys what. I wouldn't wear them in the jungle, but these Oakley boots are the business for concrete. I've never had a more comfortable pair of boots for in town.
Just picked up a pair, although the little "special forces" tag makes me feel like a poser. They are incredibly comfortable.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 19:58   #52
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Just picked up a pair, although the little "special forces" tag makes me feel like a poser. They are incredibly comfortable.

You own a razor blade or sharp knife?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 20:06   #53
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
You own a razor blade or sharp knife?
He is a lawyer.

He is the one they put the warning labels on for.

Perhaps a pair of the blunted kindergarden scissors might work.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 04-12-2004, 11:57   #54
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I got my Oakleys on thursday, I really like them. I got the Tan ones that do not have the "Poser Tags" on them, and thus far, they are very comfortable, only downside (beside price) is complete lack of traction on wet surfaces. (I did some Ice Capades type stuff while I was mopping the floor at work the other day)
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 13:46   #55
vampire03
Asset

Can the plastic piece in the toe portion of the old green jungles be removed? If so does anyone have the address /phone# too the cobbler shop in F'ville that can do it. I've finally wore through the protective layer covering it and it's tearing the tops of my toe knuckles up.
vampire03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 14:12   #56
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by vampire03
Can the plastic piece in the toe portion of the old green jungles be removed? If so does anyone have the address /phone# too the cobbler shop in F'ville that can do it. I've finally wore through the protective layer covering it and it's tearing the tops of my toe knuckles up.
Hey, vampire03, do a search, that has been covered here before.

TR

Old 05-16-2004, 14:59   #57
vampire03
Asset

Found it, I knew it had been mentioned and thought that what I read in this thread was all that was available on it. So, sorry for the jacked up ?. BTW, awesome vid's T.R..
vampire03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 13:34   #58
odoylerules
Asset

Hate to bring up a thread this old, but it seemed more appropriate than starting one of my own.

Having read a lot of threads about boots here, there are a few recurring patterns that make me curious.

First off, green jungle boots are preferred over black jungle boots. Why? Is there a significant difference between them to merit this? (According to the Wellco website, the only difference seems to be green jungles are made of a different material and have only eyelets for laces, instead of speed lacing.)

On that subject, do you prefer speed lacing or all eyelets? Can 550 cord be used in either, or only in the all eyelet set up?

Finally, everyone seems to be glad that the old all leather boots are gone. But then, a lot of people say that jungle boots are their favorite boots. Jungles seem pretty similar to all leathers. Does this mean that ICBs are way better than jungle boots too?

Thanks,
Doyle

EDIT TO ADD: The Vibram Sierra sole on Belleville and Altama ICBs seems very similar to the Tuff Kushion design of Wellco. Are they the same?

Last edited by odoylerules; 10-09-2004 at 13:37.
odoylerules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 13:52   #59
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by odoylerules
Hate to bring up a thread this old, but it seemed more appropriate than starting one of my own.

Having read a lot of threads about boots here, there are a few recurring patterns that make me curious.

First off, green jungle boots are preferred over black jungle boots. Why? Is there a significant difference between them to merit this? (According to the Wellco website, the only difference seems to be green jungles are made of a different material and have only eyelets for laces, instead of speed lacing.)

On that subject, do you prefer speed lacing or all eyelets? Can 550 cord be used in either, or only in the all eyelet set up?

Finally, everyone seems to be glad that the old all leather boots are gone. But then, a lot of people say that jungle boots are their favorite boots. Jungles seem pretty similar to all leathers. Does this mean that ICBs are way better than jungle boots too?

Thanks,
Doyle

EDIT TO ADD: The Vibram Sierra sole on Belleville and Altama ICBs seems very similar to the Tuff Kushion design of Wellco. Are they the same?
I usually wear the Wellcos.

They have a tremendous variety of confiigurations, and I am pretty particular.

I liked the old original US GI jungle boots except for the following.

No speed laces, some "bite" on the top of the foot, piss poor insoles, and zero cushioning in the soles. The next version (the newer black one) addressed the speedlace and biting issues, but had nylon uppers (hotter and prone to melt, rather than cotton) and a big collar around the top. The soles/insoles still sucked.

The ICB is a great cool weather boot, but in the summer, your feet will sweat a quart in them.

For the summer, I wear a Wellco Tuffcushion jungle boot, black cotton uppers, speed laces, no collar. It is great and very comfortable for short distances. If I were rucking a lot as a field boot, I might have the toe/heel boxes removed and the metal shank.

For the winter, I wear the Belleville version of the ICB, but will switch to the Wellco ICB if/when I ever wear them out.

The most comfortable boot I own is the Wellco Desert boot. Outstanding warm/hot weather boot, but not authorized with BDUs.

All of my boots (except my Jump Boots) have black 550 cord laces.

The Ingenius socks are the heat and will make up for many boot deficiencies.

Good insoles like the Superfooot can help, but I cannot bring myself to part with $30 for insoles when my first pair of jungle boots were $12.

I believe that the Tuffcushion soles are proprietary to Wellco.

Good luck.

TR

Old 10-09-2004, 14:27   #60
odoylerules
Asset

Thanks, sir.

Are these the ones? http://wellco.com/html/bhwctv.html

If so, what's the leather cap on the tongue like? Does it cover the whole thing, the way the leather covers the Gore-Tex on ICBs or is it just hanging a little bit off the top and the rest is like a normal jungle boots tongue (ie, canvas only, uncovered by leather)?
odoylerules is offline   Reply With Quote