Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 01-21-2010, 10:22   #1
koz
Quiet Professional

5th SFG Soldier named USASOC Medic of the year

Congrats and well done.

---------
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20...100121-01.html

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. (USASOC News Service, Jan. 21, 2010) - For the second year in a row, a Soldier from 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) was named the United States Army Special Operations Command Special Forces Medic of the Year. Sgt. 1st Class Owen Wendelin of B Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th SFG (A) received the award for actions performed while serving in Afghanistan and at Fort Campbell.

While on patrol in Helmund Province in northeast Afghanistan, Wendelin's Operational Detachment-Alpha came under heavy and accurate fire from machine guns, small arms and rocket propelled grenades. Several members of the patrol were injured by small arms.

Wendelin raced to each man rendering life saving measures, placing his own life at risk. He gave medical treatment while returning effective weapons fire. Wendelin continued these actions until a helicopter could medically evacuate his injured team members.

“I was just doing my job,” Wendelin said, exemplifying the "Quiet Professional" motto of Special Forces.

Service in combat is not the only consideration for the award. Duty performance while in garrison is also factor. When not deployed, Wendelin trained other Soldiers in the principles of tactical combat casualty care.

Wendelin has been serving as a SF medical sergeant for 4 years, and has deployed twice to Iraq and once to Afghanistan.

The USASOC Surgeon, Col. Peter Benson, presented Wendelin the award at the 2009 Special Operations Medical Conference in Tampa, Florida. Benson said the award represents the best of the best among Special Operations medical sergeants.

Wendelin accepted the award with his family present. He thanked everyone who trained him in medicine and all the men on his team.

The USASOC Medic of the Year award is presented annually to a medical sergeant who has exhibited exemplary performance. Last year’s award went to Sgt. 1st Class Eric Strand, of 3rd Battalion, 5th SFG (A).
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:07   #2
nousdefions
Quiet Professional

Congratulations!

Job well done, SFC Wendelin. Glad to see that B/2/5 SFG(A) continues to set the standard!
“Whether we come from poverty or wealth; whether we are Afro-American or Irish-American; Christian or Jewish, from big cities or small towns, we are all equal in the eyes of God. … May all of you as Americans never forget your heroic origins, never fail to seek divine guidance, and never lose your natural, God-given optimism. … My fellow Americans … God bless each and every one of you, and God bless this country we love.”
– Ronald Reagan, Aug. 17, 1992
nousdefions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 13:12   #3
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Congratulations Warrior on a job well done.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 13:29   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Congratulations SFC Wendelin..

Thank you for your service...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 13:54   #5
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Congratulations on a job well done

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 14:21   #6
Goggles Pizano
Area Commander

Congratulations SFC Wendelin!
You ask; What is our policy? I will say; “It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.” You ask; What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory—victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.-Winston Churchill
Goggles Pizano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 14:58   #7
18DWife
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

2nd yr in a row Outstanding
18DWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 18:51   #8
PRB
Quiet Professional

Congratulations Doc.
I have always been in awe of our SF medics and their abilities. I've loved watching them work on the indig with some other US Med Doc in the AO and watch that Doctors face when he saw the competance/skill and knowledge
these great operators posses.
They are Warriors too...one of the finest killers I know is a retired SF Medic.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 17:02   #9
PinelandVet66
Quiet Professional

I had the pleasure of serving with Owen that very day and I have to tell you he is definitely a guy you can depend on. Whether it be when the shit hits the fan or you just need a guy to help you load out the trucks. Owen is always willing to lend a hand. Hats off to you Bro!
PinelandVet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 17:11   #10
jbour13
Area Commander

Congrats SFC Wendelin

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 19:46   #11
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Job Well Done.......

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 21:14   #12
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Congratulations SFC Wendelin