I often go more than 10 tabs down the rabbit hole. 1 7.14%
What tab is that music coming from? 0 0%
Joe Pesci also worked as a barber in the early 1960's 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2024, 07:50   #1
Box
Quiet Professional

How Many Tabs?

There was this guy (pronouns: he/him/his/me/I/we/us) that did things.

He (cisgendered biological male) seemed to spend a lot of time going down internet rabbit holes. This guy was told on several occasions that he may or may not have some demons. One day, he was on the internet looking for a place to buy a very specific thing, and before long, he had learned that in 1968, Joe Pesci released a studio album under the title, "Little Joe Sure Can Sing!" on which he covered numerous contemporary hit songs.

This Guy, (lets just say his real name is "This Guy") had no intention of discovering that not only did Joe Pesci drop an album in 1968, but he followed it up with "Vincent LaGuardia Gambini Sings Just for You" in 1998, and then "Pesci... Still Singing" in 2019.

Who fucking cares though - amIright? After a dark and fruitless trip down the rabbit hole - entertained by the fact that Joe Pesci, one of the best movie gangsters in cinema history - was also a talented lounge singer !!!
This Guy closed his browser - then realized, he never actually found what he was looking for, and to his horror - he took several seconds to actually recall what it was he was looking for in the first place...

Dark times indeed - although, during one trip down the rabbit hole, he also learned how to equate the laws of physics with modern political theory and military leadership, so there's that...
...This Guy might be a dangerous nut job, but lets not focus on that right now.

The original question before getting off topic was "How many tabs?"

So, I ask you all - How many tabs does it take to get to the center of an internet search rabbit hole? Some might say, "the world many never know" but I would say to that - nonsense. That's also what the Tootsie Pop people thought when they first published their commercial back in 1969 (just one year after "Little Joe Sure Can Sing!" for those of you that are still paying attention). Then they commissioned a genuine study that found it actually takes 364 licks.

Then the controversy began - Purdue repeated the study with a licking machine - and did it in 365 licks. Now the results were contested. They redid it with human lickers to validate the results - BOOM - 253 licks.
What in the actual fuck?

The University of Michigan, Swarthmore College, University of Florida all of them joined the fray: one study revealed as many as 412 licks while others completely surrendered and simply returned their findings as a range of licks. Some said 70 to 220 licks while others reported a median of 184 licks with a variable of plus or minus 33 licks.

This Guy just cant fucking help himself from going down the rabbit hole.
...and there are so many different types of rabbits that dig holes !!!!

Anyway - how many tabs?

What is the average amount of useless tabs that you open in your browser while surfing across the world wide web (and why do they even call it surfing - if we were surfing, shouldn't it be called the world wide wave)????

How many tabs do you open before your realize that your train has derailed?

....discuss
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 04-26-2024 at 08:03.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:19   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I want to thank you for raising this critically important topic. You are a great American.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:09   #3
Box
Quiet Professional

You don't have to thank me, I'm just raising awareness; trying to get people to think outside the box. Its a win-win if we just leverage our core competencies and stop chasing low hanging fruit.

I'm not asking people to drink the kool-aid, I'm just saying we need to take this issue of internet rabbit holes to the next level; lets get our ducks in a row and stop trying to reinvent the wheel. What we need is a paradigm shift that gets everyone on the same sheet of music.

It is what it is.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:12   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
You don't have to thank me, I'm just raising awareness; trying to get people to think outside the box. Its a win-win if we just leverage our core competencies and stop chasing low hanging fruit.

I'm not asking people to drink the kool-aid, I'm just saying we need to take this issue of internet rabbit holes to the next level; lets get our ducks in a row and stop trying to reinvent the wheel. What we need is a paradigm shift that gets everyone on the same sheet of music.

It is what it is.
We need better emojis on this site, LMAOROTF
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 15:52   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
We need better emojis on this site, LMAOROTF
Concur. For a moment I had a mental tab open called "Hood, Riding, Red, Little, 1 each."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:27   #6
milkman
Auxiliary

Does a scroll count as a tab ? ..........Askinf for a few friends of mine...
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 06:07   #7
bubba
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman View Post
Does a scroll count as a tab ? ..........Askinf for a few friends of mine...
No.
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:15   #8
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
(and why do they even call it surfing - if we were surfing, shouldn't it be called the world wide wave)????
Yes.

CAN’T STOP THE SIGNAL!
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 08:29   #9
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
I want to thank you for raising this critically important topic. You are a great American.
Well, my day is complete now. I couldn't have lived without this knowledge... of....tabs..
Old 04-29-2024, 17:02   #10
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

A smart owl told me the answer was 3.
Oddly, I was able to confirm that with only 2 tabs.

LHC
Old 05-02-2024, 06:59   #11
bblhead672
Area Commander

I was surfing the world wide wave one night, got off down a rabbit hole so deep eventually some girl named Alice popped up and said I should carry my drunk ass to bed. The rabbit and I laughed and told her to go eat the queen.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote