Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-18-2010, 07:40   #1
Arctic
Asset

Shoulder Pads

I’m looking to add some aftermarket shoulder padding to my ruck straps for purely sniffle reasons. I really just want to enhance my comfort on my long range rucks; 24 miles, cross country, white undershirt only. The pack is 50 pounds without Water, Food, and Ammo.

I’m currently looking at these two wrap around products which would allow me to sandwich in more gel and foam padding should they not be enough on their own.

http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/...ds/Detail.bok#

http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/...ces/Detail.bok

I was wondering if anyone out there had any mods or options they liked and would recommend before I build my own.

For the record I use a CamelBak BFM

http://www.camelbak.com/government-m...packs/bfm.aspx

Thanks,
Arctic

There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy.
- George Washington, 1780
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:17   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

It occurs to me that you have the wrong ruck for the application.

Are you training for something specific?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:58   #3
Arctic
Asset

I use the BFM for packing and separation purposes, I carry some electronic gear I don’t want housed in the same space as my sandbags (a majority of my weight on these rucks).

Prior to my BFM I used an unmodified Alice I got in highschool and upgraded when I bent the frame a couple months back. I prefer the internal system for work it makes life much easier while aboard ships and in the crew berth.

Im training for 18x. Specific job? Not sure yet, issues abound.

I’m aware of the recommendation to use an unmodified Alice for training as will be the norm for SFQC to Robin Sage. I just can’t see myself giving up the luxury of the BFM right now for old Alice I’ve spent too much of my childhood under her I want to enjoy my civi freedom a bit longer imo. Heh.

There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:20   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I use the BFM for packing and separation purposes, I carry some electronic gear I don’t want housed in the same space as my sandbags (a majority of my weight on these rucks).

Prior to my BFM I used an unmodified Alice I got in highschool and upgraded when I bent the frame a couple months back. I prefer the internal system for work it makes life much easier while aboard ships and in the crew berth.

Im training for 18x. Specific job? Not sure yet, issues abound.

I’m aware of the recommendation to use an unmodified Alice for training as will be the norm for SFQC to Robin Sage. I just can’t see myself giving up the luxury of the BFM right now for old Alice I’ve spent too much of my childhood under her I want to enjoy my civi freedom a bit longer imo. Heh.
I think that when you get back under the ALICE at SFAS, you are going to wish that you had trained with it more, rather than the Camelbak.

The shoulder pads will not help the real problem here.

Lots of people quit when their shoulders get crunched and their sides/pressure points rubbed raw. I know that it is not comfortable or easy. But it is what you will be required to use. When you get serious about training, I hope that you will be motivated to use the gear that you will be assessed with. Your lack of the resolve to train with it now will be reflected again if you get to SFAS.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33   #5
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
I’m aware of the recommendation to use an unmodified Alice for training as will be the norm for SFQC to Robin Sage.
And you feel you can ignore this recommendation because.....?

Quote:
I just can’t see myself giving up the luxury of the BFM right now for old Alice
That in itself may be your downfall. If you are not going to train correctly you are wasting your time.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by Snaquebite; 03-18-2010 at 11:37.
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:05   #6
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Arctic,

Between leaving my last unit and recently receiving TA-50 at my new one, I too used the Camelback BMF for training. I only had medium rucks with no frames for the interim, and the BMF was durable and easy to pack to 50-60 lbs.

While it is a great pack that I have used for various things over the past two years, it doesn't compare to your standard issue ruck/frame. I noticed an immediate difference transitioning to and from the BMF. It sits differently on the body, is much more comfortable and as has been mentioned, you don't get those same quirks and spots that rub. If you're having issues with the BMF straps, you really need to get out and get adjusted to what you'll be using at Selection.

Heed TR and Snaquebite's words (not that I really needed to emphasize that). Train as you fight.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:27   #7
Arctic
Asset

"Train like you Fight, Fight like you Train"

Was just thinking that.

I'll go shop for a new frame this weekend for my old Alice.

I can’t promise I’ll use her for every ruck I make but for the non-technical non-climb rucks I’ll be sure to start incorporating her. The problem I face is that she is not the proper tool for the mission I’m facing much of the time and to be fair Reaper I have been humping Alice around for 10 years, my camel is only a recent addition.

I’m taking into consideration all the factors of my environment and the gear I carry while rucking, Alice simply lacks the ability to concealed carry my pistol while being readily accessible. It lacks the protection and ease of access for my thermal NVG, satcom and laptop. I ruck a long way from home and help over multiple days sometimes the capabilities the BFM greatly surpass that of Alice, I simply wouldn’t feel comfortable or safe rucking with her as my primary pack into some of the places I do.

I ruck 6 days a week not all long range I’ll get Alice out there and hump her over some trails, but I can’t see her going into the wilderness so long as I’m alone and need to look unarmed.

Old 03-18-2010, 13:07   #8
craigepo
Quiet Professional

If you are contemplating a future in SF, you had better learn how to pack, use, and carry an ALICE pack. If you can't pack enough stuff now to last a couple of days, you are going to be S.O.L. when you have to live out of that thing for a couple of weeks. Further, you have to be able to pack that thing where your critical stuff is find-able, at night, without using a flashlight.

Troops referred to SFAS as "Sore Feet and Shoulders" for a reason. If you're going to Selection, start leaving all of that "PX Ranger" bullshit at the house. You had better know how to use an alice and minimize the pain it causes, and how to set it on your back and avoid driving the meathooks of your LBE through your kidneys. This knowledge comes from experience using the gear, period.

Sell the camelback, or put it in storage until you get selected.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 15:28   #9
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
. . . avoid driving the meathooks of your LBE through your kidneys. This knowledge comes from experience using the gear, period.

Sell the camelback, or put it in storage until you get selected.
Cut those meat hooks off and replace with 550 cord. Craig is spot on. But it ain't all about being miserable. It's about being comfortable in miserable circumstances.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 21:24   #10
Koa18B
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Cut those meat hooks off and replace with 550 cord. Craig is spot on. But it ain't all about being miserable. It's about being comfortable in miserable circumstances.
"But it ain't all about being miserable. It's about being comfortable in miserable circumstances."

+1 spot on sir!

Drop the BFM man it's a waste of space in your closet. I have my personal reservations towards both BlackHawk and Camelback, but that is neither here nor there. give up the Highspeed BS and go for the tried and true stuff. It sucks and sometimes is not as efficient but its what you will use in SFAS and Q so get used to it now and babying yourself and only using it half the time is not going to help you adjust and get any stronger in Rucking.

Old 04-03-2010, 17:04   #11
regular guy
Asset

Getting jumped?

If you are truly worried about getting in a shootout while on a hump, Tactical Tailor (among many other gear mod companies) makes plenty of panels and zipper pouches that can modify the ruck to your specs.

Although I am sure a couple salty LRRS guys can tell you how to 'effectively' pack a couple claymores in the event you have to drop ruck and beat feet and run
regular guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 21:18   #12
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Note on "Meathooks".

When you replace them with 550 cord, don't throw them away, You'll need them on the gear when you turn the equipment in.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:24   #13
WonderHog
Quiet Professional

Maybe I missed something......

I am not sure but having served a very long time in numerous SOF units as well as working as a tactical/armed IC for the past few years I never thought about "Padded Shoulder Pads" or anything close.

I have carried a ALICE Large Ruck for as long as I have been around the military and have NEVER had problems with the lack of padding. I would submit that rucking comes down to a couple of things - mental mindset and physical conditioning of the shoulders, neck, and back not to mention the legs.

I watch young soldiers today on AFG struggle with carrying moderate to heavy loads while I continue to march on.......

Like many have stated here already.... quit worrying about the "Cool Guy" gear or finding the easy way and work on your mental and physical conditioning and you will be fine. I follow a KEEP IT SOLDIER SIMPLE (K.I.S.S.) way of life and enjoy a whole lot less stress and hassle.

Wonderhog
Old 04-05-2010, 13:40   #14
scotchrick05
SF Candidate

MOLLE

Just a helpful note to this conversation. SFAS, as of 2/2010, is no longer using the ALICE system. CIF now issues the MOLLE system with the plastic frame as well as the MOLLE FLC instead of the LCE/LBV.

Cadre stated that CIF can no longer keep the ALICE pack in circulation due to part (frame) shortages; they are not being manufactured for the government anymore.

And learn how to pack the MOLLE slick, because there are no sustainment pouches issued with the new system.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
scotchrick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 16:36   #15
fng13
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchrick05 View Post
Just a helpful note to this conversation. SFAS, as of 2/2010, is no longer using the ALICE system. CIF now issues the MOLLE system with the plastic frame as well as the MOLLE FLC instead of the LCE/LBV.

Cadre stated that CIF can no longer keep the ALICE pack in circulation due to part (frame) shortages; they are not being manufactured for the government anymore.

And learn how to pack the MOLLE slick, because there are no sustainment pouches issued with the new system.
Damn I went out and bought one and have been using it, partly because of this thread.