Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 01-16-2008, 17:58   #1
MAB32

Need help with a problem with my M-1 Carbine...

Maybe I am not seeing the obvious but I am still looking for you guys to point it out.

I have an IAI M-444 (this Israeli companys version of the Carbine) that will not full seat a cartridge in the chamber. The bolt will not go into battery because of it. Last year it was loaned to a friend who does WWII "Living History" to shoot blanks (both plastic and brass). Last month I finally got around to fully dis-assembling the rifle with the exception of taking the barrel off of the reciever and cleaned it. Now I cannot even get the blanks to chamber fully. I have scrubbed the bore and tried as best I could to get the chamber clean.

With a bore light I cannot spot any obstructions in the barrel or the chamber but then again it goes back to not beeing able to see the chamber fully because of its design.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2008, 18:08   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

1. Use a dental exam mirror.
2. Take it to a competent gunsmith and have him check headspace (with the gauges ).
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 18:11   #3
Karl.Masters
Quiet Professional

MAB,

I'd have my smith take a cast of the chamber with Woods metal, then do a visual check of the neck of the casting. You can also measure the dimensions of the casting and compare to chamber specs to see what is going on.

Karl
Karl.Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 19:00   #4
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
1. Use a dental exam mirror.
2. Take it to a competent gunsmith and have him check headspace (with the gauges ).
MAB, that is probably your best choice. In a situation where there is wear, the headspace will become "greater". Bolt will go to battery but too much room in the cylinder. I don't think it is a headspace issue at this point. More a problem with debris in the chamber/throat. Way to check:

1) does the bolt go to battery when no round is in the chamber?

2) if yes, you may still have too much debris in the chamber/throat such as plastic, etc. That can keep a round from completely chambering, thus keeping the bolt from going to battery.

If the bolt will not go to battery with no round present then the problem is in operating system/locking lugs
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 19:30   #5
MAB32

Peregrino,

Found one about 30 minutes ago. It looks clean. I used Sweets and let it soak in the chamber for 10 minutes to. Still a no-go.

HOLLiS,

To answer your 2nd question, yes it will go into battery on an empty chamber.
Old 01-16-2008, 19:42   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Interesting. If you're using virgin, factory ammo, that only leaves KM's recommendation. Chamber castings are routine for knowledgeable gunsmiths. It will answer all questions. Good luck. Carbines are fun plinkers and the ammo/components are fairly cheap (for the moment).
Old 01-16-2008, 19:57   #7
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Another thing before a chamber casting, Take a round, lightly coated with Prussian bluing or a colored grease. Chamber it. and then look for wear marks. Maybe easier said than done. I use Prussian bluing a lot for checking operations for tight clearances or restrictions.

The only thing I know that reduce the size of a chamber is debris. The only chambers gauges I have are no gos. I use a dummy round for a go gauge.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 20:51   #8
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

MAB, first a few questions.

1. Since it is a IAI (actually manufactured in Texas not Isreal), how did it perform before loaning it to your buddy?

2. If it performed fine before, how many rounds have you put through it?

3. Other than the plastic blank rounds, were the metal cased blank rounds lacquered in any way?

IAI are not to be confused with USGI carbines, most parts are cast not forged to include the receiver and the operating slide. IAI are notorious for having bad feed ramps, bent and binding slides and a number of other problems.

My USGI Saginaw had issues going into full battery with every other round; I replaced the operating slide spring and never had another issue.

Not to sound like a butt, BUT the ultimate fix would be to purcahse a reliable USGI thru the CMP. CMP has Rack grade USGI Inland ($419.00) and Underwoods ($479.00)for purchase, . One can never go wrong with USGI bought thru the CMP.

Finally, here is a board link with some true M1 carbine gurus.

http://www.ambackforum.com/viewforum.php?f=110

http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/carbine/carbine.pl?

Last edited by rudelsg2; 01-16-2008 at 21:05. Reason: add more info
rudelsg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 21:02   #9
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

MAB - My 'smith is reading the thread. He says borescope it. The possibility is that the blanks have left a carbon deposit where the cartridge headspaces. (Headspaces like a pistol.) Then make a chamber cast using Cerokote. Follow manufacturers directions. If it's the carbon - problem solved with a good cleaning. HTH
Old 01-16-2008, 21:14   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Another option would be for your gunsmith to use a Go/No Go gauge and a chamber reamer to clean up the chamber, if it is gunked up.

Not sure what kind of blanks were used, but Sweet's will not dissolve plastic.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 21:21   #11
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
Maybe I am not seeing the obvious but I am still looking for you guys to point it out. I have an IAI M-444 (this Israeli companys version of the Carbine) that will not full seat a cartridge in the chamber. The bolt will not go into battery because of it. Last year it was loaned to a friend who does WWII "Living History" to shoot blanks (both plastic and brass). Last month I finally got around to fully dis-assembling the rifle with the exception of taking the barrel off of the reciever and cleaned it. Now I cannot even get the blanks to chamber fully. I have scrubbed the bore and tried as best I could to get the chamber clean. With a bore light I cannot spot any obstructions in the barrel or the chamber but then again it goes back to not beeing able to see the chamber fully because of its design. Any suggestions?
MAB:

I read everyone's suggestions and your inspections and cleaning narratives.

Are you sure it is the same barrel? If your bud was doing WWII re-enactments he was firing some sort of blank that probably had to function the bolt. Two ways of doing it. Blank adaptor or blank barrel. Yes, they make barrels for blanks that don't need blank adaptors and they won't chamber live rounds.

So how about ensuring your barrel is the real one?

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 21:28   #12
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
MAB - My 'smith is reading the thread. He says borescope it. The possibility is that the blanks have left a carbon deposit where the cartridge headspaces. (Headspaces like a pistol.) Then make a chamber cast using Cerokote. Follow manufacturers directions. If it's the carbon - problem solved with a good cleaning. HTH
I believe you are referring to Cerrosafe

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 21:56   #13
MAB32

Gene,

I am positive it is the original barrel. The guy using it for "Living History" had no way of doing it because I took the rifle home after every show. We used the G.I. blank adaptor too.

TR,

I used Hoppes #9 before hand to see if that would break up the plastic.

rudelsg2,

The brass blanks had no Lacquer on them. When I first got it I fired approximately 150+ rounds thru it without a single malfunction. Something had to have happend during the use of the blanks. Also, thanks for correcting me on where it was manufactured.

Guess she's going to gun doctor. Thanks guys for your help. I will keep you advised of what he finds out.
Old 01-16-2008, 22:13   #14
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
Gene,

I am positive it is the original barrel. The guy using it for "Living History" had no way of doing it because I took the rifle home after every show. We used the G.I. blank adaptor too.

TR,

I used Hoppes #9 before hand to see if that would break up the plastic.

rudelsg2,

The brass blanks had no Lacquer on them. When I first got it I fired approximately 150+ rounds thru it without a single malfunction. Something had to have happend during the use of the blanks. Also, thanks for correcting me on where it was manufactured.

Guess she's going to gun doctor. Thanks guys for your help. I will keep you advised of what he finds out.

Hopefully it's something simple. Having read a few post about IAI carbines your round count seems to be about right for malfunction time for that model. Again, not trying to be a butt or know it all with info snippits, but Israel generally gets the undeserved "credit" for this gun.

Not trying to slagg off on your carbine, but I generally stay away from anything not USGI when it comes to M1 carbines. Most of the civvy ones were made of questionable parts and there has been quite a few serious failures with bolts and receivers due to the poor quality of parts and assembly used in their make up.

Last edited by rudelsg2; 01-16-2008 at 22:31.
rudelsg2 is offline   Reply With Quote