Wiseman
Guerrilla Chief

Yemen - protests

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110203/...mi_ea/ml_yemen
Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 16:29   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman View Post

OK,, Why did you post this link???

Individuals on this site engage in conversations, for entertainment, for education, and for arguments.

You don't throw up posts to see if they stick to the wall..

State your opinion, start an argument, laugh or don't post...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 17:13   #3
Wiseman
Guerrilla Chief

Sorry, I forgot to add my comments. So it looks like Egypt is becoming an example for other groups to initiate change but whether it is for good of the US or not remains to be seen.
Old 02-03-2011, 17:17   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

Remains to be seen???????????

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to add my comments. So it looks like Egypt is becoming an example for other groups to initiate change but whether it is for good of the US or not remains to be seen.
Remains to be seen???????????

This is the story folks should be reading.

http://en.rian.ru/world/20110203/162433368.html

"Egypt's banned Muslim Brotherhood movement has unveiled its plans to scrap a peace treaty with Israel if it comes to power, a deputy leader said in an interview with NHK TV.

Rashad al-Bayoumi said the peace treaty with Israel will be abolished after a provisional government is formed by the movement and other Egypt's opposition parties.

"After President Mubarak steps down and a provisional government is formed, there is a need to dissolve the peace treaty with Israel," al-Bayoumi said........"

Don't look for this to get a lot of play in the US press.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 17:20   #5
Wiseman
Guerrilla Chief

Pete,

I was talking about Yemen. There is a general disdain of Egyptian populace towards Israel but is that the same sentiment amongst common Yemenis? Anyone been to Yemen here and interacted with the population?
Old 02-03-2011, 17:36   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

It don't matter what the common folks want

Quote:
Pete,

I was talking about Yemen. There is a general disdain of Egyptian populace towards Israel but is that the same sentiment amongst common Yemenis? Anyone been to Yemen here and interacted with the population?
It don't matter what the common folks want. The Muslim Brotherhood is starting to flex it's muscles - and they and their sub units are all over.

While events appear to be moving fast right now and everyone has that warm and fuzzy "Democratic" feeling look to the long term - like Hamas, the MB is going to cement itself in power in a number of countries.

In the next war between the Muslim Nations and Israel who do we back? Israel or Egypt?
Old 02-03-2011, 18:22   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

IMHO, the Yemenis make the MB look like the Girl Scouts.

They are extremists and hate the Israelis (and us).

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 19:11   #8
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...00&postcount=2

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39   #9
nw44451
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
IMHO, the Yemenis make the MB look like the Girl Scouts.

They are extremists and hate the Israelis (and us).

TR
Our relationship with Israel has always been confusing to me. I understand the arguments anchored on strategic partnerships/political pull at home/preventing another Holocaust. However, I fail to see how our (the USA’s) unqualified loyalty and defense of an aggressive/expensive Jewish state is helping our national security, regional stability, or, for that matter, Israelis! (Note: If I have to say this - I am not suggesting that we should allow for the destruction of Israel or ignore the threat of extremism.)

IMHO this article raises some valid points:
http://www.presstv.ir/usdetail/163476.html

More broadly, our policy decisions vis-a-vis the Middle East/Northern Africa/Israel/etc are conspicuously short sited. For example: It does not take an expert in international relations to understand that supporting a single leader (especially a dictatorial one) is not sustainable for, at the very least, no other reason than he will eventually die.
"It makes no difference what men think of war. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."
-Cormac McCarthy

Last edited by nw44451; 02-04-2011 at 10:47. Reason: Stylistic change.
nw44451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42   #10
Todd 1
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw44451 View Post
I fail to see how our (the USA’s) unqualified loyalty and defense of an aggressive/expensive Jewish state is helping our national security, regional stability, or, for that matter, Israelis!
Maybe if the religion of peace would leave Israel the hell alone regional stability, or, for that matter, Israelis would be better off and not so “aggressive/expensive”.

Quote:
(Note: If I have to say this - I am not suggesting that we should allow for the destruction of Israel or ignore the threat of extremism.)
Yes you have to say that, because that is exactly what islam wants to do to Israel.

Bukhari (52:177) - Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. "O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him."
Todd 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:50   #11
nw44451
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd 1 View Post
Yes you have to say that, because that is exactly what [I]slam wants to do to Israel.
1. I'm not Muslim, so I'm not sure why what "Islam wants" would have any bearing on why I "have to say that." I was making a personal declaration (for those that may have been unsure about the nature of my comments) that I didn't want to see genocide. HOWEVER--If we're going to anchor our judgment of a people on the contents of their religious texts, Jews and Christians are no slouches in the "destroy all thine enemies" department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd 1 View Post
Maybe if the religion of peace would leave Israel the hell alone
2. Could you expand on this? I'm not sure what you mean. Who or what is the "religion of peace"?
"It makes no difference what men think of war. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."
-Cormac McCarthy

Last edited by nw44451; 02-04-2011 at 13:31.
Old 02-04-2011, 14:13   #12
Pete
Quiet Professional

Dude, you better get up to speed real quick.

Quote:
1. I'm not Muslim, so I'm not sure why what "Islam wants" would have any bearing on why I "have to say that." I was making a personal declaration (for those that may have been unsure about the nature of my comments) that I didn't want to see genocide. HOWEVER--If we're going to anchor our judgment of a people on the contents of their religious texts, Jews and Christians are no slouches in the "destroy all thine enemies" department.

2. Could you expand on this? I'm not sure what you mean. Who or what is the "religion of peace"?
Dude, you better get up to speed real quick. Your second statement, "Who or what is the "religion of peace"?" shows you have not been paying too much attention to the news the past few years.

Now go back and follow the link in post # 4 of this thread. Do you see any benefit to peace in the region with throwing out a peace treaty that has kept the peace for 30 years along the Egypt/Israel border - well, in a fashion.

With the removal of our MFO forces from the border area do you think that will make things more calm?

How long before rockets are launched into Israel from the area and when asked the MB leaders of Egypt shrug and say "I don't know"?

How will the MB in charge of the border crossing into Gaza inpact weapons smuggling?

Things are going to get very, very interesting after the next election in Egypt.
Old 02-04-2011, 15:33   #13
nw44451
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Dude, you better get up to speed real quick. Your second statement, "Who or what is the "religion of peace"?" shows you have not been paying too much attention to the news the past few years.
Pete- I understand Todd is using RoP to refer to those practicing Islam. Just wanted him to nail it down a little bit. Muslims in general? MB? Al Qaeda? Egyptians? Palestinians? "Religion of Peace" is pretty blanket--in the same vein as phrases like "The American People."

Your points about the borders and dissolution of a long standing treaty are well taken. However, as you say, the peace has been kept "in a fashion." I am suggesting only that we consider new strategies/solutions and not simply repeat what has already been tried. ("We" meaning whoever is making the applicable foreign policy decisions at that moment)
-Cormac McCarthy

Last edited by nw44451; 02-04-2011 at 15:47. Reason: Drinking my own coolaid ("we" is pretty blanket)
Old 02-04-2011, 15:55   #14
Pete
Quiet Professional

You are wrong

Quote:
Pete- I understand Todd is using RoP to refer to those practicing Islam.............
You are wrong in that statement.

Do research on the term before claiming somebody like Todd uses it to refer to those practicing Islam.
Old 02-04-2011, 16:05   #15
nw44451
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
You are wrong in that statement.

Do research on the term before claiming somebody like Todd uses it to refer to those practicing Islam.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/AboutSite.htm

Am I on the right track? This is what I was refering to earlier.
-Cormac McCarthy