Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Vital Signs

Old 01-25-2005, 12:33   #31
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dave
CPTAUSRET,

What kind of dosage are you currently taking? And in what form? Pill, liquid, chewie? I'm just curious. I've been taking 2000mg's in the hard pill form, and I read somewhere that you only get about 65 to 70% of that actually absorbed. I've definitely noticed a difference, thats for sure.
I will ask Nancy, she's my MD, and she lays out all my pills every morning.

Terry
Old 01-25-2005, 22:00   #32
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDoom
Would you mind posting a link to a representative article? I'm just curious. Thanks.

I have googled for about two hours on this one and have found some articles dating as far back as 1998. However those arent what I am looking for so I have not referenced them for you.

From what I heard during my last ACLS cert a few months ago AHA will revise in 2005 based on research showing poor survival rate to discharge (not admit) involving ALS. Much of this is prehospital.

From my searching I have seen survival rates of 3-10% prehospital to discharge. Interestingly one study I glanced at showed survival rates of witnessed codes inhospital by ACLS certified nurses to be about 1 in 4 as opposed to nurse that werent certified.

The following is from the 1999 Bethesda Conference:

http://www.acc.org/clinical/bethesda/beth31/task1.htm

"Pharmacologic Adjuncts to Defibrillation

The prognosis is ominous for a sizable proportion of patients with cardiac arrest in whom spontaneous circulation is not restored by the first few defibrillation shocks and in whom additional ACLS measures, such as endotracheal intubation, epinephrine and antiarrhythmic medications, are required.

Antiarrhythmic drugs. Antiarrhythmic drugs, including lidocaine, bretylium, magnesium and procainamide, have been classified as an "acceptable, probably helpful" treatment for cardiac arrest secondary to ventricular tachyarrhythmias unresponsive to three or more shocks under current ACLS guidelines. Although these drugs represent current clinical practice in the U.S., there is limited evidence supporting the benefit from use of these agents in treating cardiac arrest victims. Use of antiarrhythmic agents has not been universally embraced as an essential component of treatment algorithms for shock-refractory cardiac arrest.

Evidence supporting any clinical benefit from early administration of antiarrhythmic drugs in cardiac arrest is scarce. In early animal trials, either resuscitation of VF was not improved by the addition of procainamide or lidocaine, or any benefit was offset by worsened short-term survival attributed to the drugs' adverse circulatory depressant effects. Ironically, lidocaine, procainamide, quinidine, phenytoin and oral and higher doses of intravenous amiodarone (10 mg/kg body weight) have all been observed to increase the defibrillation threshold and, in theory, make it more difficult to resuscitate hearts from VF (50–55) .

In the only published case-controlled clinical trial in which shock-refractory victims of out-of-hospital VF were stratified according to those who did and those who did not receive lidocaine, no significant differences were observed in the return of an organized rhythm, admission to the hospital or survival to hospital discharge between the treatment groups (56) . A retrospective evaluation of antiarrhythmic drug use during a trial of active compression–decompression CPR found that lidocaine and bretylium were independently associated with a lower likelihood of survival to 1 h after cardiac arrest (57) . Another retrospective study comparing outcomes from a time when ambulances were or were not staffed by personnel who were authorized to give medications found that recipients of lidocaine were more likely to have a return of spontaneous circulation and to be admitted to the hospital, although no survival benefit was demonstrated (58) . In contrast, in a prospective, randomized trial comparing administration of lidocaine with standard doses of epinephrine in shock-refractory VF, not only was there absence of benefit, but survival actually worsened when such pharmacologic therapies served to delay defibrillation (59) .

The current recommended use of magnesium in torsade de pointes is supported only by case reports. Two recent prospective, double-blind, randomized trials of cardiac arrest in patients in the hospital and in the Emergency Department found no benefit from routine treatment with magnesium (60,61) . Finally, none of the reported randomized trials comparing bretylium with placebo or with lidocaine in victims of cardiac arrest demonstrated any significant differences in outcome between treatment groups (62) .

In most studies to date, intravenous amiodarone has been administered only after failure of other antiarrhythmic medications to terminate malignant ventricular tachyarrhythmias. When compared with additional lidocaine and epinephrine in dogs with shock-refractory VF pretreated with prophylactic lidocaine, intravenous amiodarone significantly improved the success of subsequent defibrillation (63) . The Amiodarone in out-of-hospital Resuscitation of REfractory Sustained ventricular Tachyarrhythmias trial (ARREST), a recently published randomized, prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, evaluated intravenous amiodarone in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest due to VF or pulseless ventricular tachycardia (64) . In 504 randomized patients, a significant improvement in admission to hospital was observed in recipients of intravenous amiodarone as compared with placebo (44% vs. 34%, p = 0.03). The trial was underpowered to detect differences in survival to hospital discharge between the two treatment groups, which tended to favor recipients of intravenous amiodarone. However, this is the only randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial ever to show a significant benefit from antiarrhythmic drug therapy during CPR.

Conclusions. With the possible exception of intravenous amiodarone, available evidence is inconclusive concerning benefit of antiarrhythmic drugs in cardiac arrest. Most studies addressing this question have been unpowered either to demonstrate or necessarily exclude benefit from such treatment or to have employed a positive but equally unproven control (lidocaine) comparison. The dose and manner in which to administer antiarrhythmic medications during cardiac arrest and the optimal variables by which to measure benefit from treatment (e.g., return of spontaneous circulation, admission alive to the hospital, 24 h survival, discharge from the hospital, neurologic function at hospital discharge, one-year survival) also remain controversial."

Although I have personally seen Amiodarone control arrythmias I doubt it is as effective as AHA or ARREST study in Washington State claims it is.

Also there isnt much evidence supporting ET route for ACLS medications that I am aware of.

Being in your current postition you have better access to this information than I but I will make it my mission to find whatever current research that is out there that actually contradicts the Myths of ACLS-

ccrn
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:52   #33
DoctorDoom
Guerrilla

x

Last edited by DoctorDoom; 07-29-2013 at 09:21.
DoctorDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:42   #34
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
I'm just a barely out of the cave knifemaker. I know If I drink too much my head hurts the next morning. If I don't drink, my head doesn't hurt, as much.

If I take the G and C stuff, my knee quits hurting. If I don't take it, my knee hurts.

I'm just a knifemaker, this is all I know.

Ditto. My doggy could hardly walk before, now she jumps around like a puppy.....and I doubt she read all the tests on placebos, horses and flying monkeys....
Old 07-23-2008, 19:26   #35
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

Cosamin DS

I was a bit dubious myself until one of my patients, an orthopedic surgeon, relayed the following. He is a former college and NFL football player with bad knees. He developed a loose body and had his knee scoped, took pictures etc. He then started on Cosamin DS. Nine months later he developed another loose body and had another scope. They snatched out the loose body and noted some changes in the articular cartilage, for the better.
In the fall of 2006 at the annual PAOS (Physician Assistants in Orthopedic Surgery) conference I sat through a session about glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate. They presented study after study and the bottom line at that time was that it does support articular cartilage, it does not regenerate articular cartilage. The interesting fact I gleaned was that they tested several different brands and found them to contain from 0% to 100% of the claimed ingredients. The more expensive brands generally contained a higher percentage of the ingredients. Cosimin DS came out on top. They are the only company that pharmceutically prepares their product and they have the data to back it up. The recommended dose is 1500mg a day in a single or divided doses for all other brands. Yet the Cosamin DS recommends a loading phase of three capsules a day, then taper to a maintainence dose of one to two per day.
I have no stock in the company. If you're going to use a glu/chon product, pay a bit more and get the best. There is no reported down side to this product.
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote