Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 04-30-2010, 19:02   #61
vcorpstac
Asset

When was it that you were there and it was deserted? You say Boeblingen was where the academy was relocated? Just curious as you can see by my post I ws there in Mch 1966 and boy I do remember the "Details"!

d
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfromcolorado View Post
I walked through the deserted hallways of the Academy at Toelz while on Bn duty. Many had already left for Boeblingen and being one of the last there I got stuck with duty.

It was kind of spooky in there. All the stupid shit was still there like the brass plugs in the showers and the "Autobahn"-a bit more scuffed up than in previous times I am sure.

My mind got to thinking of who might have stayed in those rooms over the many years since the place was built.

The end of the Academy wing at the archway over by the Community Club is now the Gaststaette zur Flintkaserne.
vcorpstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:01   #62
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcorpstac View Post
When was it that you were there and it was deserted? You say Boeblingen was where the academy was relocated? Just curious as you can see by my post I ws there in Mch 1966 and boy I do remember the "Details"!
d
The NCO Academy moved from Toelz to Vilsek/Grafenwoehr in late 1990. I was on duty with 1/10 SFG(A) mid 1991 when most everyone from the BN had moved to Boeblingen. The Kaserne was fairly empty by then. That's when I found my way into the old Academy area.
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:49   #63
Coaster
Asset

I went through the Academy in Jan of 80. the problem was that I knew most of the instructors there and I was given some extra training just for the heck of it. They made sure to make my visit there special. I just ran the photo section for 10th. Ahh well what doesn't kill you right.
BTW the guy that tried to blow up the tank monument was a crew chief from the air field. The Academy tried to blame one of the Demo guys, but we all figured if it had been one of the guys on the Teams they would have done it right.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 15:24   #64
MVP
Quiet Professional

A7/121/021

There was lots of heritage in that tm room that disappeared with the move to Stuttgart and the re-org of the Bn circa 1989. I believe I have a folder with the ODA-7 logo somewhere in my stuff. The soldier lost his rifle in the logo revamp and was replaced with a stick and knapsack when 021 became the "Hobo Team" with Rocket Rick as Tm Sgt. When I got back to the Bn in 1991 I found the "Jazzer" coffee table from the bar ended up with a C-Co team. One night at a party in the BEQ I found a large drawing I had framed and donated to 121 in 1987 in the bedroom of a C Co. guy. I think most of the Tm memorabilia was trashed by guys unconcerned about their history. I did recover two of the "pack mules" steins but passed them to guys that told me they had been on 7/121.

Forgot to mention that the S-house next to the jazzer storage room was where S-Houseman (reference Team code names thread) kept his gear

MVP

Last edited by MVP; 05-04-2010 at 10:46.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 14:47   #65
Bennett
Quiet Professional

My first look at Flint Kaserne was when I arrived at the 7th NCO Academy in 79. I had a commo guy, Lee Helbig, in my class and he showed me around on the weekends. When I returned in 86, I ended up in the team room just to the right of the main arch in the basement, ODA 011 with Corky Shelton as team daddy. I left just prior to the move and returned to find the Bn at Börbligan and most of the team room and a lot of the other stuff in personal hands. C Co had a good team room bar, hidden from the BN CDR McMillian who wouldn't let any of the teams have them and in it was a collection of a few ODA bars, sort of for safe keeping. I also saw some items in the trash, which I recovered and tried to give back to the team from which it came from. I went back to Tölz a number of times and walked through the Kaserne when it was empty but will only remember it as the most beautiful Kaserne in Europe.
De Oppresso Liber
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"]
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 14:19   #66
Charlie1bear
Asset

I was assigned to ODA-022, got to Toelz in December 88 til Mar 90. I was one of the last of the 5th Group refugees to be fortunate to get an over seas assignment to Toelz while 5th Group moved to FCKY.
The selection process was truly unbiased in the respect that they selected people that had never had an overseas tour.
I had spent my entire career in "Airborne" units, so had never left Bragg for 13 consecutive years until then.
I had no idea what was going on. I was assigned to Mott Lake when I first got to 5th Group and then went to Ft Gordon for ANOC. When I got back my company had moved back to main post. The old "Delta" stock-aid compound and I got my orders for Bad Toelz. No one ever told me 5th Group was moving. It was old news by time I got back. I found out 2 years later when I walked into PERSTAT looking for my orders to go back to Bragg.
Toelz is where I meet Corky. Luckiest SOB I ever met. Don't play poker with that man. I married one of the local Krauts from Munich (Divorced now). I couldn't stand to see the place after the Regular Army ran us out and it was announced they were going to knock it down. I wanted to remember it the way it was. Absolutely BEATIFUL. even the Army couldn't mess that up.
ODA-022 had a great team room too. Nice bar with a Balcony looking at the Alps. The 2 years I spent there was just amazing. The absolute best time of life and my career. A real adventure from the moment I got there until I left.
Wonder what happened to Patton's desk? It was in the NCO School Commandants office.
Charlie1bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 18:17   #67
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Another Tolzer here. I got to Tolz from 1/5th SFGA in Feb 88 and back to 1/5th in Nov 90'. The PLDC course had just shut down and moved to Grafenwoehr when I left (IIRC). I started on ODA-012 and then moved down the hall to 015. Always enjoyed that garden spot. Stopped back by again in Sep 03 when I was leaving Stuttgart to remomorise. (seems everytime I'm in 1/10, I have to fight with DA to get back to 1/5 to go to war!)

CD

Last edited by Combat Diver; 03-07-2014 at 18:01.
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 19:19   #68
Nonstop24/7
Asset

Bad Toelz

I was part of the 10th in 61-62-63 and would say it was my best assignment ever.
I was assigned to C co, located in Lengries a few clicks away in A-32.

I live on the Isar River about half way between Flint and Lengries in a Germany house for , get this $37.00 per month.

A-32 was deployed out of country some and none of our team members went to
7th Army NCO academy while I was with them. We always heard about how tough it was. I went to XVIII abn NCO academy previously while statinoned at Ft Bragg.

That whole area around Flint Kaserne was beautiful and I would love to go back.
Nonstop24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 20:01   #69
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
There was lots of heritage in that tm room that disappeared with the move to Stuttgart and the re-org of the Bn circa 1989. I believe I have a folder with the ODA-7 logo somewhere in my stuff. The soldier lost his rifle in the logo revamp and was replaced with a stick and knapsack when 021 became the "Hobo Team" with Rocket Rick as Tm Sgt. When I got back to the Bn in 1991 I found the "Jazzer" coffee table from the bar ended up with a C-Co team. One night at a party in the BEQ I found a large drawing I had framed and donated to 121 in 1987 in the bedroom of a C Co. guy. I think most of the Tm memorabilia was trashed by guys unconcerned about their history. I did recover two of the "pack mules" steins but passed them to guys that told me they had been on 7/121.

Forgot to mention that the S-house next to the jazzer storage room was where S-Houseman (reference Team code names thread) kept his gear

MVP
Thanks for the information, although it saddens me to think about the loss of so much great memorabilia.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:26   #70
mike-munich
Guerrilla

I wonder where all this stuff went after Flint Kaserne shut down... It breaks my heart everytime I drive by the Kaserne and the housing area, or the Sachsenkam range. The area to the far right on the fence, across from the tennis courts where the teamhouse used to be, has the ice hockey stadium for the Tölz club now.

Quote:
I married one of the local Krauts from Munich (Divorced now).
Haha. Many did that, most marriages worked out though. I married a girl from Munich, but I divorced her too. My current HH6 is Bavarian again.

Richard, I see you completed your move to NorCal. Hope y'all like it! We'll be back in TX. in 4 weeks, doing some work on the house.