Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 10-25-2004, 15:50   #31
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

When I was younger I used to sleep walk alot. One day I was staying over at my mates house (must have been 10 or 11) and I suddenly wake up in the hallway standing in my sleeping bag. I had woken the whole house up, it seems. I asked my mates Mum what happened. She gives me this odd look and says:

"You were running around the house in your fart sack yelling something about how 'The Russians are coming' and something about a machine gun nest."

I very very rarely sleepwalk now- and only at home. I just wake up in the middle of the lounge or whereever, only remember the previous minute before I woke up.

It's an odd feeling, but something you get used to.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 16:03   #32
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

We surely looked very ridiculous... A bunch of guys with veritable turbans of BDU strapped to their heads, and one of them sleeping underneath his bed.

It was probably even more funny in the mornings when we were rudely awakened by the other teams getting up way before it was even remotely necessary- a bunch of guys with camouflage turbans for heads yelling 'WTF?!' and 'STFU!' (in their nonabbreviated forms) from their beds.

On another note, I used to sleep walk. When I was eight my Dad had gotten back late from work and sat down to talk to my mom and eat dinner... I came down, fast asleep, walked in, slapped him across the face, and then sat down on his lap.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 17:36   #33
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Sleep Walking ??? No way !!! It would only happen once, and then you would, if you ever went with me again, find your boots Zip-tied together, your Web Gear Zip-tied shut, and your Web Gear Fookin Zip-tied to a TREE !!! God help you if we got attacked, hope ya got a sharp Harsey Knife !!!
Old 05-23-2007, 21:05   #34
Sdiver
Area Commander

CLEAR !!!!!!!

**ZAP !!!!**

Beep....beep....beep....beep......this thread lives.

So, anyone else have any useful tips on stopping/curtailing their snoring, aside from hooking up a shock device to a deuce and a half?

It's been said....that I snore. I don't know if it's true or not. I'm asleep and don't hear myself, but I have been told, that I start sawing logs as soon as I fall asleep. Some have even said, that I have a "reverse snore". That I snore upon EXHALATION, that I take a deeeeeeeeep breath in, then grunt/rumble/snore upon exhalation.

I've used those "breath right" strips. Taken sudafed before going to sleep. Used saline spray, to moisten up my nasal membranes. Those work sometimes, but when it comes to quick "cat naps", I'm sounding like Vulcan going off.

I've thought about going under the knife and fixing my deviated septum, and thought that there might be a few here who have under gone that procedure, or if any AD guys have under gone it, so they don't go off snoring while being "tactical" in the field/on mission.

BTW.....this is for any new people to the boards.....THE SEARCH BUTTON DOES WORK !!!!
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 21:10   #35
Remington Raidr

It's not worth dying over . . .

I finally bit the bullet and got tested. I had a VERY restfull sleep but warned the nurse I had to be in court later that a.m. At 0530 I awoke from a VERY nice sleep and I asked her if I had wha they were testing me for. She demurred, saying the doctor would have to make the diagnosis. I explained that I understood her reluctance, but just wanted an idea if I had wha they were were looking for. I will never forget the look on her face when she said "oh yeah, you got it BAD". I had no idea, but think about this . . . if you have ANY difficulty with a good sleep, your body NEVER really has a chance to repair itself. I don't care if you are high-speed or not. While snoring=death downrange, if you aren't getting enough oxygen while you are asleep you cannot really heal. If you are not sure, get tested. Life is too short as it is.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:52   #36
vsvo
Area Commander

I was also a sleepwalker as a kid. My family loves to tell the story of how one night I walked into my little sister’s room and peed in the wastebasket.

One of my aunts lived with us when she first arrived in the States. She had survived a junk ride which included pirate boardings in the South China Sea, then several months in a Thai refugee camp, just to make it to the States to be terrified by my young ass sleepwalking around the house. The first time she saw me she couldn’t sleep the rest of the night and asked my mom the next morning what in the world happened. At that time she wasn’t that much older than my sisters and I. After my sisters stopped ROTFLTAO, they told her, “Oh, he does that all the time!”

Today, my only sleep malady is that several times during the night I get a sharp elbow or shove, followed by a hissed, “Sleep on your side!” To which I usually groggily respond, “Whhhaa…” Apparently, I have taken the crown for Loudest Snorer in the Whole Wide World. I usually like to tell my wife, “If you don’t fall asleep before I do, it’s on you,” but somehow, I’m getting the feeling those words are beginning to lose some traction!
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 21:53   #37
sbl
Asset

A little off topic, but to keep up with the funny sleep stories I got one to tell.
Pulling security one night at Benning on a ftx I am completely ragged out. Nothing high speed here, I haven't learned to deal with lack of sleep like I'm sure you QPs have. I'm walking the line, and I see what I'm assuming is an opfor advancing towards the line, so I call out for the interloper to identify himself..no response...I call out again with the same results, I don't know what came over me but before I know it I'm running to spear the guy only to abruptly and painfully find out that the guy had transformed into a pine tree.

It would have been ok if the thud hadn't woke up everyone around...who preceded to rag me about it for the rest of the ftx.
sbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:59   #38
hoot72
Guerrilla

If this is sensitive, then please, do ignore my question but its a question thats been on my mind for years; I never was a snorer till about four years ago and even then, I actually caught myself snoring while having short naps and even at night especially so when I was exhausted.

I even got kicked out of the village hall we were all cramped into by an aussie detachment who kept waking me up through the night complaining about my snoring...I eventually felt bad and moved on outside and got bitten to death by mossies...

But anyways, my question was, how do you guys cope with the snoring issue when you are out on duty or on operations?

I can only imagine it can also be a problem in the field......
hoot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 16:47   #39
sofmed
Guerrilla

Sleep Ops

Damn mouse is double clicking on its own again. Sorry for the almost double post. Technology is great until it breaks.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Last edited by sofmed; 02-06-2008 at 16:54.
sofmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 16:52   #40
sofmed
Guerrilla

Sleep Ops

I say all of the following tongue in cheek, as I'm having a great read here, and this is just a tad bit embarrassing, but warrants an airing out.

About 3 years ago, not too long after my second hip surgery, and being on some pain med I don't remember the name of, I was sleeping soundly one night and my wife says she attempted to lay her head on my chest and drape her arm across my abdomen, fitting into her 'spot' as she calls it.

She tells me that I told her, "No!" very adamantly, that she sat up and looked at me and realized that I was still sound asleep. She again attempted to fit into her 'spot' and again was rebuffed, only more aggressively. She figured I was only having a bad dream and this strengthened her resolve to "comfort" me so she attempted a third time to fit into her 'spot'. This time, she states I raised up, grabbed the back of her head with my left hand and placed my right palm (she's little...only4' 11" and tiny boned and I have very large hands) on her chin, as if to twist (break) her neck, looked her directly in the eyes and spoke a viciously sounding, "I...SAID...NO!!" She states that she dared not move for fear of my breaking her neck, and then just as suddenly as it all started I blinked a couple times, looked right at her again and said, "Oh! I'm sorry, Baby," and fell back onto the pillow sound asleep, and actually started snoring at this point. I don't snore much, to which she can attest.

What scared her was the fact that I (then) slept with a Cold Steel Tanto under my pillow and I had 25 years involvement in MA/Combatives, 8 years as an instructor at the time.

I felt terrible about the whole thing. Needless to say I don't sleep with the knife so close, but it's still close enough.

And way back in basic I nearly plastered some kid's head into the wall when he came to wake me up for fireguard. Grabbed him by the throat and nearly picked him off the floor before I realized what I was doing.

Anyone else have any experience with anything like this? My 13 yr old sleep walks, has for years, and that makes me wonder if it's something genetic. Or it could have just been the meds.

Anyone with some kind of intel on this, please speak up. Your advice would be much appreciated.

M

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
Old 02-06-2008, 18:42   #41
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

This thread has been going for some time! My anesthesia practice since 1977 has taught me a few things. At sleep, soft tissues in the upper airway tend to
loose support and can obstruct the upper airway= snoring. If you are "awake" you probably won't snore. If you are on your back and sleeping you can snore. If you are on your side or belly, you probably won't snore. So... if someone is asleep and snoring, awaken the person...or turn person to their side. I snore. I go to sleep on my side to keep my wife happy on that subject. As for sleep walking, I have no experience...it is rather poor form to have anyone anesthetized found to be walking about the operating room.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 19:27   #42
sofmed
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
As for sleep walking, I have no experience...it is rather poor form to have anyone anesthetized found to be walking about the operating room.
RF 1

Let me know when you have one.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:53   #43
Sdiver
Area Commander

Here's something I wanted to pass along.

My PCP told me about this a few months ago, and I've been using it ever since.

It's a product called NeilMed. http://www.unimedprod.com/

It's a saline flush for your sinuses, and it really helps. I've noticed a big improvement in my sleep habits. I find I'm more rested, and also been told, I don't snore, as much, as I used to.

Also with allergy season upon us, it really clears out the sinus cavities of all that dust and pollen that's floating around.

Last edited by Sdiver; 04-20-2008 at 09:05. Reason: forgot a Y
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 15:25   #44
vsvo
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Here's something I wanted to pass along.

My PCP told me about this a few months ago, and I've been using it ever since.

It's a product called NeilMed. http://www.unimedprod.com/

It's a saline flush for your sinuses, and it really helps. I've noticed a big improvement in my sleep habits. I find I'm more rested, and also been told, I don't snore, as much, as I used to.

Also with allergy season upon us, it really clears out the sinus cavities of all that dust and pollen that's floating around.
My wife's been bugging me to get a Neti pot ever since she heard Dr. Oz talk about it on Oprah. I, of course, had been resisting.

Yesterday, I fired up the lawnmower for the first time this season, and got a nose full of dust, pollen, and exhaust fumes (I didn't drain out the gas that was sitting in it over the winter, and haven't changed the oil, but the Honda motor still fired up on the second pull ). After being somewhat dismayed after blowing my nose, I remembered what she had been talking about and went to the drugstore. I bought a kit similar to the one cited, with the prepackaged salt packets.

It was a bit disconcerting the first time I squirted the solution up my nose, sort of like being dunked in the ocean. But unlike the ocean, the isotonic solution did not burn, and it tasted only slightly salty. About five minutes after I blew my nose and cleared the solution from my throat, my sinuses opened up and I felt great, breathing easily through my nose. I will have to do it tonight and find out if it decreases my snoring too!
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:51   #45
jatx
Area Commander

I had surgery last summer to correct for obstructive sleep apnea, i.e. smothering on my own anatomy at night. The tonsills and uvula would collapse during sleep and prevent me from breathing, causing me to wake gasping for air 10-12x per hour. They removed my tonsills and uvula, fixed my deviated septum and trimmed down the nasal turbinates (I had a nearly complete obstruction of my nasal airway). It was a very rough surgery, but I no longer snore and I sleep much better. If anyone considers having this done - make sure that you have someone at home to look after you for the first 5-7 days!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote