Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-25-2017, 15:21   #1
thid92
Asset

US SOCOM deployments

I have seen a few soldiers returning from deployment in Afghanistan wearing the SOCOM patch, I question it because it's only a few out of the entire brigade that went wearing them. They claim they were attached doing logistics for SOCOM. Is this legit or are they taking it upon them selves to wear a patch the have seen the SF guys wear thinking they are authorized to wear it? If someone in the know can shed some light on the situation so I can call them out if they are not entitled to wear them.
thid92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 16:21   #2
CAARNG 68W
Guerrilla

Are you talking about the SF patch that non-SF Joe's wear on their right sleeve?

It's to show everyone else they did cool stuff on their mob, or at least they watched cool people do cool stuff.
CAARNG 68W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 19:38   #3
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Ask to see their orders that award that specific units Combat Patch?

TBH I'm not even sure why one would care. These potatoes are very small.

My .02$

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 22:15   #4
thid92
Asset

I never been under any SF unit and don't have the under standing how you deploy, this is why I am coming here before confronting someone I am 90% doesn't deserve to wear A socom patch as a combat patch.

If socom deployed would they deploy in a command size element or do they send small teams that would fall in on other commands. I hope I am not violating any opsec here. My guess is they would send smaller teams that would fall under major commands, they would still wear their SF/SOCOM patch rather than the command they fall under.

Hope my rambling and questions make any sort of sense. Guess I could always pull their deployment order in iPERMS
Old 01-25-2017, 22:38   #5
HardRoad
Quiet Professional

Location: Georgia, Florida and North Carolina (its complicated)
For what it's worth, the SF patch and the SOCOM patch are two different things. The SF patch is the arrowhead with 3 lightning bolts over a V-42 commando knife in the middle (the "electric butter knife".)

The SOCOM patch is an oval with a spearhead in the middle and a wreath around the outside (at least, they tell me it's a wreath - I always thought it was the rope used to tie the hands of the people actually fighting the war.)

I don't know what the rules are now, but back in the early days of the war, you could get a SF patch by being attached to an SF unit for 30 days. All kinds of people would finagle a 30 day vacation at our firebase (loggies, ETTs, medical types, etc.) so that they could get the patch. No biggie there - a ton of support folks assigned to the SOTF got it too.

All kinds of non-SOF qualified folks deploy for SOCOM too, so all either patch tells you about someone is that they happened to be assigned or attached to a SOF unit downrange.

And, really, all the patch actually tells you is that someone had $3.98 to spend at Ranger Joe's.
HardRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:37   #6
thid92
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRoad View Post
For what it's worth, the SF patch and the SOCOM patch are two different things. The SF patch is the arrowhead with 3 lightning bolts over a V-42 commando knife in the middle (the "electric butter knife".)

The SOCOM patch is an oval with a spearhead in the middle and a wreath around the outside (at least, they tell me it's a wreath - I always thought it was the rope used to tie the hands of the people actually fighting the war.)

I don't know what the rules are now, but back in the early days of the war, you could get a SF patch by being attached to an SF unit for 30 days. All kinds of people would finagle a 30 day vacation at our firebase (loggies, ETTs, medical types, etc.) so that they could get the patch. No biggie there - a ton of support folks assigned to the SOTF got it too.

All kinds of non-SOF qualified folks deploy for SOCOM too, so all either patch tells you about someone is that they happened to be assigned or attached to a SOF unit downrange.

And, really, all the patch actually tells you is that someone had $3.98 to spend at Ranger Joe's.

Hardroad,

Thank you for your reply. I understand the patches are different and the 30 day required to earn it with the unit. I just wasn't sure is SOCOM deployed large enough elements to have outside units attached. If in fact it's a px Ranger thing I want to put a stop to it. I have called out a 1SG that was deployed with me when he was a SSG that wears the CAB that he didn't earn, I am a true believers that you wear what you have earned. I do realize a SF/SOCOM patch doesn't say much being worn on the right sleeve but right is right and wrong must be addressed.
Old 01-26-2017, 13:12   #7
bowhunter
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thid92 View Post
Hardroad,

Thank you for your reply. I understand the patches are different and the 30 day required to earn it with the unit. I just wasn't sure is SOCOM deployed large enough elements to have outside units attached. If in fact it's a px Ranger thing I want to put a stop to it. I have called out a 1SG that was deployed with me when he was a SSG that wears the CAB that he didn't earn, I am a true believers that you wear what you have earned. I do realize a SF/SOCOM patch doesn't say much being worn on the right sleeve but right is right and wrong must be addressed.
It is as simple as Blue stated.
THID, obviously you have the ability find out if the guy earned the patch or not. More importantly I want to let you know it is individuals like you -concerning yourself with matters that don't effect a unit or individual's ability of being a warfighter - causing many squared away barrel chested freedom fighters to leave the military. You should re-focus your efforts to what is important in being a leader of troops(assumption).

After several trips in SF, never earned the right shoulder patch, I decided to get out of the military because too many leaders and decision makers concern themselves with diminutive matters which in turn effects moral and productivity of a unit. Essentially you are tightening the rope that is already tight enough with the complexities of current threats.

Last edited by bowhunter; 01-26-2017 at 13:43.
bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 13:53   #8
thid92
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter View Post
It is as simple as Blue stated.
THID, obviously you have the ability find out if the guy earned the patch or not. More importantly I want to let you know it is individuals like you -concerning yourself with matters that don't effect a unit or individual's ability of being a warfighter - causing many squared away barrel chested freedom fighters to leave the military. You should re-focus your efforts to what is important in being a leader of troops(assumption).

After several trips in SF, never earned the right shoulder patch, I decided to get out of the military because too many leaders and decision makers concern themselves with diminutive matters which in turn effects moral and productivity of a unit. Essentially you are tightening the rope that is already tight enough with the complexities of current threats.
OK I think you took it a bit to far comparing me with toxic leadership over something I consider an integrity violation. I don't have to explain myself but I have always done real well with the Soldiers that I have had under me and 90% have grown to become great leaders themselves.
Old 01-26-2017, 14:58   #9
bowhunter
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thid92 View Post
OK I think you took it a bit to far comparing me with toxic leadership over something I consider an integrity violation. I don't have to explain myself but I have always done real well with the Soldiers that I have had under me and 90% have grown to become great leaders themselves.
It most certainly could be an Integrity violation or if this is Joe we are speaking about, possibly ignorance. Without going into your reasoning for sake of time this is how I would handle the situation and maybe you have but I doubt it.
- At the first opportunity begin building genuine rapport with said individual. You will learn a lot by doing this maybe even more than that paper will tell you.
- If you still have doubts investigate further on your own.
Upon completion of above steps you will establish a verdict. If your assumptions were correct your rapport establishment will allow you to decipher if said individual is committing an Integrity Violation or needs a little guidance.

Again without going into your reasoning, what are your motives for said investigation? No answer needed, for your self reflection.
Something to think about:
In the event the guy is authorized to wear said patch – You went to an online forum for something relatively easy to determine-you have access to all Army regulations, an S-1 shop, iperms and HRC to assist in validating his claims. What would you consider yourself then? What effects did your actions have on your Unit? Did you improve the Units ability to accomplish task?

My only intention in this argument is to weigh in on something I see as a larger problem than toxicity, again this type of situation was the largest contributing factor to me leaving.

In the big scheme of things some shit just really doesn’t matter. Think of it like business (your product is capable soldiers and their ability, whatever MOS). Your actions only impact that bottom line in two ways – positive or negative. If the matter has no effect on that bottom line to begin with don’t concern yourself with it. If you go through all this trouble and are wrong in your assumptions, you negatively impact that bottom line. Now if you are correct, how does it impact the bottom line? If he is a shit bag and you get rid of him, positive. If he performs and you get rid of him, negative. If he performs and just needs guidance and counseling, short run negative with long term gain.
bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 17:58   #10
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

There are a fair amount of TF's that deploy that wear the SOCOM patch as their combat patch. They generally have habitual relationships with all of their support elements. I personally know 5 or 6 CA and PYSOP personnel, and even more Commo Dudes that legally sport the patch. It is not outside the realm of possibility that a support guy would have one.
Old 01-26-2017, 22:17   #11
thid92
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
There are a fair amount of TF's that deploy that wear the SOCOM patch as their combat patch. They generally have habitual relationships with all of their support elements. I personally know 5 or 6 CA and PYSOP personnel, and even more Commo Dudes that legally sport the patch. It is not outside the realm of possibility that a support guy would have one.
CDRODA,

thank you for your reply. I have the utmost respect for what you guys endure and if someone was in fact attached and earned the patch I would not have an issue with that as I am sure they are on top of their field being attached to you guys.

Reason why I am questioning it is because my old national guard brigade deployed and I have only seen 2 soldiers come back with the SOCOM patch. I am friends with one of the guys in charge of the section and questioned him about it and he shook his head saying they didn't get awarded the patch and that they were tasked to inventory the serial of some SF guys because they didn't have a property officer

All in all I have spoken with the Soldier and I didn't get a good vibe when I was feeling him out about it. Whim better to ask these questions than a forum of Silent professionals with more experience on this subject.

As far as MOB orders I know from my own experience that not all commands I fell under are listed there. Halfway through my deployment we had a COC and BDE took charge.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:32   #12
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

You should simply smoke them on a PT test and then heckle them daily for additional lunch money.

If you can't.. well then recognize their superiority over you and conduct daily personal affirmations in the mirror until another earth shattering topic pops up.

Then go join an Air Soft clan.

But maybe you could stop posting it about it here? Integrity checks go both ways, and it sounds as if you'd rather vent online here rather than research the Army regs yourself. People who like to point fingers sometimes forget there are three fingers in their hand that point right back.

Worry about your team/ squad/ section first. I guarantee there are other issues that you CAN effect that will improve either yourself or your unit.

Remember, empty cans rattle the most.

(Sorry CDRODA396, I never learned how to apply tact as well as you can, even though you tried your best to teach me.)

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol

Last edited by blue02hd; 01-27-2017 at 06:44.
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:25   #13
thid92
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
You should simply smoke them on a PT test and then heckle them daily for additional lunch money.

If you can't.. well then recognize their superiority over you and conduct daily personal affirmations in the mirror until another earth shattering topic pops up.

Then go join an Air Soft clan.

But maybe you could stop posting it about it here? Integrity checks go both ways, and it sounds as if you'd rather vent online here rather than research the Army regs yourself. People who like to point fingers sometimes forget there are three fingers in their hand that point right back.

Worry about your team/ squad/ section first. I guarantee there are other issues that you CAN effect that will improve either yourself or your unit.

Remember, empty cans rattle the most.

(Sorry CDRODA396, I never learned how to apply tact as well as you can, even though you tried your best to teach me.)
No issues about the APFT. Seems as this community doesn't care if that's the case I could care less about it I guess. I have always looked up to the SF community.

Thank you for your direct approach and I am sure I could have included more information in my posts on the subject to make myself more clear.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:26   #14
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
THID92,,

It's Friday,

I think you should take a couple days and contemplate you future, both in this house and at your place of work..

Capish??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THID92.jpg (36.1 KB, 110 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:22   #15
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Ask the soldier for his MFR. We just had a combat patch ceremony where 23 SF Support Soldiers got their SF combat patch. My S-1 did a MFR for each soldier with the endstate it gets loaded up into IPERMS and onto the soldiers ERB.

Now, I understand if the soldier doens't have a copy of his MFR (inject whatever reason) and it hasn't been uploaded into IPERMS and onto his ERB (S-1 clerk drops the ball), then he needs to talk to the S-1 where the MFR originated or have someone in the S-1 call to the other S-1.

At some point, the system will catch up to that soldier if he continously wears a combat patch that he's not authorzied to wear. Wether it's a promotion board, DA Photo, SOY board, etc.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote