Old 04-21-2015, 14:36   #1
KTX
Asset

Shipping Date Question

Hello QP's,

To cut to the quick I am graduating from college in May and I am in the process of obtaining an 18x contract, took the ASVAB and got the paperwork together, just need to go back for the physical.

Coming into the process I told my recruiter that I have already committed to being in weddings this summer and also need to help my parents move (they need the help physically) so I would be unable to ship until mid August. Today my recruiter said the next ship date is June 8. He and the other recruiters made it seem that this was a now or never decision.

They said I could try to pull together wedding invitations and other paperwork stating my reasons for pushing back my ship date but it was unlikely to be approved and that once the June ship date passes it is unlikely to receive another 18x slot.

My question, does it seem the recruiters are pressuring me to quickly sign a contract for their sake and in that case should I wait? Or is there reason to believe that 18x slots won't be achievable after June?

My bottom line is that I am only seeking an 18x contract, however, I understand that I am in no way justified in having the Army bend over backwards for me in regards to my ship date.

I am aware that some of y'all have experience on the recruiting side of things and may have insight into this situation. I appreciate any advice y'all can give as well as your time.
KTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 15:42   #2
Scimitar
Area Commander

KTX,

I have some experience in this area.

There is a possibility that the policy or circumstance has changed in the last 24 months or so, although I doubt it.

I'll give you a run down of what is likely happening, and what action I recommend.

Firstly, recruiters have deadlines and goals they are given. You are worth two points to them, they are likely trying to achieve a quarterly goal or something, hence the pressure.

All you need to do is say, I spoke to someone and they advised me that there is no reason they (the recruiters) can't call "The Rock" and ask for a later ship date to be opened up for you.

At this point they will likely capitulate. You can gently mention that you understands they have a quarterly mission, but you do need to keep these commitments.

If they don't sway, simply say you need to go back and talk to your guy.

If they ask who, simply say you'd have to check with him first.

Once they know you know the system, they will work with you.

If after all this they still push back, get back to me, and I can talk to my contact at USAREC to see if there has been a change, it's unlikely.

HTH

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 04-21-2015 at 19:26.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 16:12   #3
KTX
Asset

Thank you for the advice Scimitar,

I'll go ahead with your recommendations and see where it leads, as well as drop you a message if I'm met with push back.
Old 04-21-2015, 19:06   #4
Lionshare
Guerrilla

Last edited by Lionshare; 07-20-2020 at 14:25.
Lionshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:25   #5
KTX
Asset

I appreciate the insight Jake,

I'll be heading back to the recruiter next week. Y'alls information has been extremely helpful.