Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 08-28-2004, 10:26   #16
Razor
Quiet Professional

bberkley, I might be reading it wrong, but it looks to me as the iFP-899 only supports WMA, ASF, OGG and MP3 file types, whereas GS wanted to also store JPEGs and e-mail files.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:15   #17
bberkley
Guerrilla

Razor,

"Plus, this lightweight player can be used to store music or transfer files of any type."

I can get a definitive answer from a friend at iRiver if necessary.

Brian
Old 08-28-2004, 11:57   #18
Martin

Quote:
Originally posted by magician
I agree.

However, I doubt any of us would use an MP3 player if we were jumping around a lot, unless it were an aerobics class or something. It is not a problem to use an iPod when you run, or work out. It has a huge buffer. Likewise in a plane, or an automobile, etc. Mine has never skipped.

I also have a small memory stick that doubles as an MP3 player. I bought in Baghdad, for about $125. It holds 256k of data, whether files or MP3's. It is small enough to hang around my neck. It holds about 60 songs, I guess.

My iPod, on the other hand, holds my entire music library. All of it. Hundreds of CD's worth. I have my music library sorted and classified in iTunes on my Mac Titanium laptop, and the same organizational structure transferred over to my pod with no drama. The iPod is sealed, so dust has not been a problem. The primary downside that I see is cost. They are wicked expensive. I have been giving some thought to purchasing an AppleCare warranty for mine, for about $65, as mine is more indispensable to me than I ever thought possible. When I make that long visa run to Cambodia, the trip goes a lot faster if I have Sly and the Family Stone to keep me company. Likewise, when stuck in Bangkok traffic, I just tune it out, and chill.

It is an insanely good piece of kit.
Very true. Though I need the microphone too (great for language studies) and have a lot of music in ogg. That and the smaller form factor made me pick the IRiver iFP-799 (today!).

The I-Pod seems like a very nice piece of kit.

I'd recommend that you get that AppleCare warranty, if not for anything else, then because the battery is internal and is something you'd have to hand over to Apple if it stops. Unless you're feeling a little McGyverish... There are some who did that for the Ipod-Mini, because it had some early quirks, but which are now worked out. They don't hold forever though.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:59   #19
Martin

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
bberkley, I might be reading it wrong, but it looks to me as the iFP-899 only supports WMA, ASF, OGG and MP3 file types, whereas GS wanted to also store JPEGs and e-mail files.
It can play those formats, but can store any.

http://www.compuadds.com/product.asp?prodcode=W-IFP799T
Old 08-28-2004, 13:28   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
What's an MP3 player?
Rather than type this up all over again, this is from the iRiver web site.

The skip-free iFP-899 delivers superior sound in a sleek, sport-ready design. It features 1GB of internal memory for up to 34 hours of music, extended battery life up to 40 hours on one AA, a built-in FM tuner and voice recorder. It also records music from any audio source. Plus, this lightweight player can be used to store music or transfer files of any type. MSRP: $399.99

Special Offer: Listen to over 400 radio stations!

Plays MP3, WMA & OGG music files
1GB Internal Storage
Plays up to 34 hours of music
Transfers music up to 3X faster*
Skip-free and sport-ready
Record music from any audio source (no PC required)
FM Tuner & Recorder
Voice Recorder
Store or transfer any file type
Up to 40 hours of battery life

Comes with:
iFP-899 music player
iRiver earphones
Sport arm band and carrying case
Neck strap
Preloaded tracks from eMusic
USB 2.0 cable
Line-in cable
Installation CD (PC/Mac)
1 AA battery

Here is my older Gen iFP-190 next to a 12 gauge shell, the iFP899 is virtually the same size.

This stuff gets smaller and better every day.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_0828_133627aab.jpg (70.4 KB, 70 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 17:29   #21
Razor
Quiet Professional

Ah, thanks for the clarification gentlemen. I was looking at file support under the specifications table and only saw the music files listed. RTFFP, right? Oh, I also realized I misposted the model player I own--its a iFP-390.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:29   #22
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Check this Out:
Oakley Thump

Had to have Lil John with the grill on the front for Guy

Hmmm, Wonder if I can find them for less than $400.....

Interesting.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 15:58   #23
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Highgear trail audio
I like the looks of these, and have read good reviews of them, but I would like to hear from someone who has one.

A friend of mine got an Ipod Nano and has been happy with it so far, but thats a bit rich for my blood.

Also, watching her with her earpieces in, blissfully unaware of her surroundings, leads me to believe that the growing trend among young people (All people actually) of listening to music or talking on a cell phone while trying to go about everyday activities is a recipie for disaster. This is a state of being more oblivious even than Jeff Cooper's "Condition White" If there was a color less distinctive than White, I would apply it here. The only segment of society I see benefitting from this trend are the muggers, rapists, and other predatory elements.

that being said, I want one, Not to walk around showing off, but to have for travel, and to listen to without distrubing others around me.

Last edited by Air.177; 10-11-2005 at 19:43.
Old 10-11-2005, 16:21   #24
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

mp3

I have the 20GB IPOD and it will hold over 5000 songs. A lot cheaper then the 40GB. Plus it has all the attachments to plug into your cigarette lighter and play over your Car radio. All my CD'S have been boxed up and put away since getting an IPOD and loading all my legally appropriated music.......LOL.
Old 10-11-2005, 17:43   #25
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

I would also recommend an external hard drive. Used it during deployments so I did not have to listen to the same songs over and over (Yes, it is possible to burn through 40 GB worth of songs). Was also good as a backup in case the SD card was damaged (Have used it for all types of MP3 players). While not a cheap investment (a little less than $1.00 / GB) , a decent one IMO as I was also able to keep the HD on my computer a little less cluttered. I had (still have) a great 160 GB Western Digital that I used, my only advice as to which to purchase would be to make sure that you get one that does not require a driver (WD and Firefly make some good ones for this purpose). Some are even actually powered solely off the USB.

In any case, it is just more memory / storage space available for you. In addition, you can usually burn assorted drivers (printers, ZIP drives, etc) to the external HD and key programs in case your main computer gives you the BSOD or ends up corrupted. Just my $0.02, hope it helps.

V/R,
Go For Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 18:23   #26
jatx
Area Commander

I've had a 4GB iPod Nano for about three weeks now, and am very happy with it. It is really tiny - and light enough that I can run with it in my pocket without it even bouncing around much. Also, I encode my MP3s at a pretty high bit rate, and I still get ~24 hours worth of music on the device. The small color screen is bright enough to light up a dark room.

The only negatives in my mind are that (1) it has no FM tuner (unlike my old Samsung Yepp) and, (2) the jog wheel is very sensitive, so it's easy to blow your ears out if it gets brushed the wrong way. Definitely learn to use the lock switch.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 19:44   #27
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Thanks all for your responses

Good times,
Blake
Old 10-11-2005, 20:18   #28
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

The obliviousness I've noticed too around Uni. When I've got my headphones in, I figure I have to make up the loss of that sense with another sense so I keep a good look around me.

I have a iPod shuffle. Nice and light which is good for excerising.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 22:16   #29
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

A couple weeks ago I picked up a 256 for www.sandisk.com . I use it for running and mt biking. Its really nice and lite. I also have 30gb napster mp3 player that is nice for travel but gets kind of bulky for running.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:23   #30
cback0220
Quiet Professional

Dell

I have the Dell 5GB, these are cheap have great battery and are very durable. They also come with great service and a good warranty. They are also available in 20 or 30 GB. My girlfriend actually traded her I Pod back to get one of these.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs