Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 04-05-2006, 10:17   #16
Croooz
Asset

Happy horse manure

Being physically fit, having good SA, not being drunk, and being willing to do whatever is necessary will carry you farther than any fu, chu, lee, krav.....can give you. False confidence and stupidity. I equate people who put their confidence in X style the same way the QP's equate SFAS wannabes looking for the ultimate PT program to get selected.....the focus is on the wrong thing. Be fit but even more important be mentally strong.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:50   #17
Texian
Guerrilla

Damned straight

Well said, Croooz

I've always said that there is a distinct diferrence between martial art and actual fighting. Martial art is exactly what the name implies; art. The applied science of causing grievous bodily harm on a person (I refer to it as combatives) is entirely different. Being a Nth degree black belt in any style is hardly enough. Actually, It's more like a hobby. What is most likely to work is training in all ranges of unarmed combat until the application of techniques is second nature (this should include full contact sparring and wrestling), tip-top physical conditioning, and the proper mindset. This, I've learned, is what separates the guy on the ground from the guy who's still standing.

P.S.
There is certainly no substitute for the art of ching ching pow.

Last edited by Texian; 04-05-2006 at 11:41. Reason: added postscript
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 18:25   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Exactly.

In SF, you will rarely be called upon to don a Gi and step into the ring.

The saying I heard, is that the soldier who wins the unarmed combat fight is the one whose buddy shows up first with a loaded gun.

Any combat fight you are involved in has no rule, except to win by any means possible.

That should start by using other fires such as air or indirect fire to attack your opponent; using friendly direct fire, starting with the largest caliber available, using mines and your personal indirect fire systems; firing any and all small arms; using the longest reach weapon that you have; throwing grenades and explosives; use of stabbing or cutting implements; use of impact weapons, the longer, the better; and only last will you use hand to hand.

When I see a fight scene and someone throws down a weapon to fight "fairly", I think, "What a stupid SOB."

If anyone expects me to go hand to hand, and I can lay my hands on a firearm, a spear, a knife, a baseball bat, a cue stick, a table leg, rolled magazine, or a bar stool, he is going to be in for a great big cheating surprise.

You guys need to familiarize yourself with what happened to MSG Tony Pryor.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 21:12   #19
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
You guys need to familiarize yourself with what happened to MSG Tony Pryor.

TR
http://www.qando.net/details.aspx?entry=3653

Great example, Sir.

--Aric
Old 04-05-2006, 22:23   #20
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Do not take this the wrong way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinerDiver
I have studied Martial Arts for a very long time. I appericate and rescept them for what they are... The Gracies have a good product to sell provided your opponent conforms to your rules and he didn't bring any friends.

I'm with TR, if I get in a fight it is to WIN as fast and with as little exposure to myself or my buddies as possible, not to follow any rules.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:09   #21
TFM
Guerrilla

I studied Kung Fu as a child for a couple of years. I was really good too. Then I studied boxing on my own, and I am pretty good at that for someone who taught himself proven in practical experience. However, when I studied the Army combatives manual, I saw the light I guess you could say. Fighting need not be fancy or complicated, rather it should be the opposite. Why punch a guy in the face if you can hit him in the neck ending the fight immediately. The Army combatives FM (don't recall the number) is a no nonsense guide to ending a fight as soon as possible by delivering blows to vital nerves and arteries. All the fluff stuff is fine for a hobby if that is what you're into, but to defeat an enemy every blow should be the deathblow (or a blow that will demish the opponents ability to fight) or the precursor to it. Realistically anything else is a waste of time. I agree that if you can find a weapon of any sort, use it. You don't have to be an expert in Bare Naked Kill to whoop somebodies a$$ with a stick, a book, or whatever.

TFM
TFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 15:05   #22
x SF med
Quiet Professional

The first thing they taught me in Combatives (then known as Hand to Hand) were the 3 rules of fighting:
1. It's either you or him
2. There are no rules
3. see rule 1

They work. I was put down in Hand to Hand by an errant punch to the throat - effective, fast and deadly if it hadn't been blocked a little. It took me about 2 minutes to fully recover - it could have cost me my life. Make your mistakes early in training - and then get it right forever after - what you do in training you will do in the world.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:59   #23
Kyobanim

I saw this guy on A&E last week (http://www.sabretactical.com/) and from a civilian/LEO point of view it was good training. Anyone else see this?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 17:14   #24
frostfire
Area Commander

I thought he looked familiar

http://professionalsoldiers.com/foru...highlight=sake
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 20:28   #25
shoe_leather
Asset

Can help with questions

If anyone has any questions about what training in Ju Jitsu, Kickboxing, or muay thai is like outside of the military, feel free to PM me. I am no where near an expert, but I have been practicing all 3 for almost 4 years now.

Last edited by shoe_leather; 05-14-2007 at 16:12.
shoe_leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:59   #26
kachingchingpow
Guerrilla

Old 06-04-2007, 22:41   #27
spartanfed182
Asset

spartanfed182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 21:29   #28
frostfire
Area Commander

Human Weapon

FYI
History channel is running the Human Weapon series every Fri 10pm and Sunday 11pm EST. I reallly like learning where all the useful combatives techniques originate from ie. judo from jiujutsu from samurai H2H usw.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
Old 02-27-2008, 21:50   #29
frostfire
Area Commander

Thumbs up good affirmation

to the folks here who're familiar with Carl Cestari, Col. Fairbank, it's definitely preaching to the choir.

I like it, though. Very analytical, yet never loses touch with reality. From physical, to psychological, to numbers, to law, and so on. Reminds me of TR's writings. Thanks for posting it.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
Old 03-02-2010, 15:52   #30
Sierra Bravo
Auxiliary

with over 25 years of Korean Hapkido training I can honestly say it's a great base / foundation to draw from but in all honesty when you are placed under combat stress conditions 90% of those techniques will not work due mainly too the fact that there is way too much muscle memory and thought process to burn through. Much better to go "medevial"

- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Sierra Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote