Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 02-26-2020, 15:31   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
PFAK - Clottting Agent?

One of the guys on the SF List had a go-round with a kangaroo last nite. Took a good slash to his face. Applied some "Blood Stop" (he's on thinners). It doesn't look pretty. Went to his doc for chk & tetanus shot this AM. He's GTG, but still ugly..

He used Blood Stop..

Seems it's been a while since the topic was discussed here.

What is/are the current suggestions for OTC clotting agents for a PFAK for the family?

[quote: UPDATE]
I received a little more detail on the Blood Stop product. It was purchased at the feed store OTC.

ingredients:
Ferrous Sulfate • 7H20 ... 93%
Ammonium Alum ... 5%
Calcium Carbonate ... 2%

https://www.durvet.com/product/blood-stop-powder/
[/quote]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greg-h Roo wounds.jpg (46.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 16807_L_vvs_000.jpg (75.4 KB, 47 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 02-27-2020 at 11:23.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 21:44   #2
Scimitar
Area Commander

For animal use only

- Something something, don't worry, when he's got a few beers in him, he's an animal!
- Something something, they mean "for animal "injuries" use only, right?"

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:20   #3
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

My god! Did we not learn anything from Saturday morning cartoons?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 18302AAA-0559-4736-8DFB-FAE6A3BE883C.jpeg (23.5 KB, 43 views)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:21   #4
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
What is/are the current suggestions for OTC clotting agents for a PFAK for the family?
Tagged for same question.

(Ol' Sylvester having his usual Looney Tunes™ luck with that "big mouse", nice touch.)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 23:45   #5
G2squared
Auxiliary

What I have for PEOPLE.

So, you do realize that between the use of OTC and the pics that state for animal use, you’ve Kidd’s left the barn door open right?... might as well just rub some dirt on it and send him back out! I get that it might be perfectly useable on people, maybe even the same product used on people, but my supplies for IFAK are actually intended for use in people.
I have used and stock QuikClot. The videos show good results with arterial bleeding though I’ve never tested that. I’ve used their sponge on non-life threatening bleeding from knife wounds in the kitchen and it work well. I’ve also used a product called bleed cease for razor nicks. It’s a hairy fiber that sticks a lot to your face but does help stop minor bleeding.
I also have used WoundSeal powder. This is a little packet of powder that helps coagulate blood. It works well for minor bleeding but is a bit more unsightly that QuikClot because it dries on dark red/black. From your pics I’m guessing looks don’t matter based on pasties over the eyes....
I have some Celox “injectors” but have not had a need to use them yet. Mostly designed for puncture wounds/hole to apply deep into the wound. Theory is the same as QuikClot.
Older versions of products intended for hemorrhage control were essentially designed to give a “controlled” chemical burn cauterizing the wound. I’m not aware of current product that still do that but buyer beware.
If you have a FSA account with you healthcare plan, the first three listed above can be bought with it and QuikClot comes in several “trauma kit” bundles. FSAStore.com and even without FSA account you can buy there.

May I be so bold as to recommend a more tame companion like a sheep and using Velcro gloves?
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:25   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I like North American Rescue for emergency medical supplies.

https://www.narescue.com/

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:56   #7
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

As I’m reading this at 4AM it may be incoherent,

I’ve been out of the game for over a decade now so I may not have all the current info on clotting agents, but as an 18D during the “war on terror” I was at the “tip of the spear (just the tip remind you!) of many of the clotting agents and techniques that are used today.

I’d like to point out that clotting agents were our LAST line of defense for MAJOR ARTERIAL bleeders NOT paper cuts, knife cuts, or facial lacs caused by giant mice!

Our number one go to for any bleed? Gauze

The importance of clotting agents is that it can quickly stop some serious arterial bleeding. There’s always a downside...it is fuck all for surgeons to clean up the after effect. One of the worst that seems to be in these kits sold on the civ side, is Quickclot (unless they’ve changed their agent). It is actually thermogenic and can “burn” the patient. We usually used chitosan bandages (the shrimp shell agent) most of the time and I had 1 full Hemcon bandage for use if the chitosan failed.

For all of the wounds that I treated in combat I did NOT once need a clotting agent.

To re emphasize, these agents have their place but in my opinion the will never replace an assortment of gauze rolls and squares and should only be used in life threatening cases.

For some one on blood thinners this may have seemed life threatening but it probably was not. It is good info to know that your patient is on such meds but you should start with tried and true....gauze. If your patient is going into shock from blood loss, say 500ml blood loss (say 1/2 qt), and you can’t stop the bleed and haven’t go replacement fluids...then this may be the time to consider, with reservation, the use of clotting agents.

YMMV MOO
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote