Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 06-24-2014, 11:23   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, what do they all have in common?

The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, what do they all have in common? Democrats in charge for decades.

They are all run by democrats and have been for decades. I'm surprised Chicago isn't on that list of top 10. I'm guessing their government paid off someone to stay out of the top 10.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/1-detroit/
Old 06-24-2014, 11:44   #2
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I'm surprised Chicago isn't on that list of top 10. I'm guessing their government paid off someone to stay out of the top 10.
As well as NYC and LA, but looking at the cities listed, ALL of them had populations in the 6 figure range, where as Chicago, NYC and LA are in the 7 and 8 figure population range.

In fact, of those cities listed, only Detoliet had the highest population of 713,000 and change. Which makes the murder to population rate somewhat skewed, thus giving it the distinction of leading this list.

I'd like to see a chart of cities with murders per city, NOT "X" amount per population. There I think you'd see Chicago in the top five, if not leading the list.

One other thing noted, not only are these cities run by dims, but most of them are also bankrupt or about to file for bankruptcy.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:47   #3
glebo
Quiet Professional

And this is how they (dems) want to run our country...

Don't think that's gonna work...
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20   #4
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

It's no surprise that Baltimore is still on the top ten list(s). There was only one republican governor in the 30+ years I've lived in the area. In his term, we had a budget surplus, crime was down, and quality of life was looking up. Not anymore. Plus, that city also decides who the vote goes to for POTUS every election cycle.

I've seen a lot of stuff in that city over the years. Drug addicts panhandling while nodding off in the middle of the street, angry crack whores and drug dealers on every corner damn near, and my personal favorite; a mother of four drinking a 40 ounce bottle of malt liquor whilst puffing on a cigar stuffed with pot on her stoop while her future welfare abusing children run around naked in the street shouting cuss words at the top of their lungs. This is all at around 0700 hours.

Not to mention the one street where there is approximately 20+ titty bars in a 3 block radius. Charm city indeed!

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 13:42   #5
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Memphis slides in at #4. Our POS mayor walked out of the funeral of a fallen officer just so he could be part of the notorious conference call that Joe Biden invited him (and a dozen other mayors who shared similar gun control views) to. The really awesome thing? Biden knew he was at the funeral and knew he would have to walk out. That's some awesome leadership we have. Can't even allow an officer's family or our LEO family to mourn without the white house making use of it for their agenda. I'm stunned that Memphis isn't ranked #1.

RIP Officer Lang
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 16:04   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I guess Fayetteville was busy kissing last year.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 16:47   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

Fayetteville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I guess Fayetteville was busy kissing last year.

TR
According to this report Fayetteville is way out of the running of being a dangerous city.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/9d422e2e...l-Summary.aspx

Due to annexation the past few years (and Ft Bragg) Fayetteville has over 200,000 residents.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 17:49   #8
caretaker
Asset

I certainly cant argue with the title but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Without looking at the list let me guess. All have strict gun control laws? Am I right?
Michigan is a shall issue state so I don't think we can be categorized as having "strict gun control". http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf
With the support of a new police chief, Detroiters have taken to shooting intruders in case you haven't heard:http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/detr...hootings-good/

I think that per capital is the appropriate way to look at the issue as opposed to sheer numbers.
Most of the rankings I have seen are more in line with this: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-...-flint-mich-25

Chicago is a pretender not a contender who has already fallen off its throne: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/24/us/chicago-violence/
Although there are rumblings about officials cooking the books: http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...o-crime-rates/

Finally to put things in overall perspective according to the FBI statistics crime is down: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr..._by_region.xls

Of course as we all know none of this counts for anything if you have poor situational awareness and suddenly find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:30   #9
caretaker
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
Detroit became so crime-ridden probably in part due to the excessively left-wing policies of the city's government. Look at how New York City used to be in the 1970s-1989. Here are some pictures: LINK It practically looks dystopian, like out of some sci-fi film or something. Then Rudy Giuliani became mayor and fixed many of the problems. Detroit is more gun-friendly now with the current police chief, but most cities with major crime problems have not been run by conservative Republicans.
This comment bothers me. I would agree that major crime seems to be a by-product of liberal policies in city government. I disagree that instituting a conservative government would result in a one or two term fix if that is what you're implying. Left-wing governments are the result of the citizens' world view. They are a symptom not a cause. Maybe you think that's a distinction without a difference but I think understanding the cause is crucial to curing the disease. Perhaps we both might agree that a liberal view of the world seems devoid of the concept of personal accountability. Becoming a criminal is a choice. There may be conditions which make one more susceptible to making that choice, but ultimately an individual bears sole responsibility for their own actions. I think that liberal policies foster an environment that breeds a mindset which makes the jump to lawlessness easier.

Detroit is not New York. One can’t talk about Detroit and not discuss race. Detroit has always been and remains today one of America’s most segregated cities. Detroit's first race riot was in 1863 when the Nation was laboring to correct prior injustices. It's second race riot in 1943 left 34 dead. The one In 1967 left 43 dead and hastened White Flight. The exodus left a diminished tax base and zero new employment opportunities. Mismanagement of the auto companies and poor quality vehicles reduced their market share further reducing the tax base and employment opportunities. The Great Society decimated the black family. I find it easy to see how a kid born into an inner city family with no strong male in the household, minimal City services, and no employment opportunities would look out into the very different world of the suburbs and focus only on the difference in the color of his skin. So while most of south east Michigan's attitudes have moved on with the rest of America, there is still a core group in the City proper who's world view is more akin to the previous century than the present.

Trading Detroit's liberal government for a conservative one would not solve her problems in one or even several terms. To compound matters, Detroit now has a structural deficient. With a footprint large enough to support the 1.8 million people of its heyday it finds itself with a population of just over 700 thousand. Its tax base is not sufficient to pay for City services and pension obligations. Time's too short to do a job twice. We need to clearly and correctly define the problem before throwing limited resources at symptoms. Unfortunately there is no consensus on what the problem is.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:12   #10
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Without looking at the list let me guess. All have strict gun control laws? Am I right?
Memphis doesn't have restrictive gun laws most of the other cities do.

Last edited by Oldrotorhead; 06-27-2014 at 17:49.
Oldrotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:40   #11
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrotorhead View Post
Memphis doesn't have restrictive gun laws most of the other citied do.
Our POS mayor and city council passed a resolution that bans guns from all city and municipal parks. To an outsider, that may not seem like a big deal but Memphis has a lot of parks in and around the city. The mayor is doing his best to have public areas (such as public parking) designated as a park so that we cannot lawfully carry our firearms. Basically, he's doing everything in his power to ban guns in the city without actually banning them. Just take away all the places we can have them and tighten the noose. This is just one of his tools. Take a look at item 5. Those so-called policies that he's implementing are what I'm referring to. In typical gun-control prose, he wants to make it safer for our youth. It's all about the youth, right? The illusion of safety.

Our current state law permits cities to ban guns in public parks or other recreation areas - a broad term. There's pending legislation regarding it, though, and hopefully that will change the culture around this city (and the state) very soon.

Quote:
Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, permits a person with a handgun carry permit to carry a firearm in any state, county or municipal park or other recreation area; deletes provisions allowing local governments to prohibit carrying in parks by resolution or ordinance. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.
SB 1496
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 14:18   #12
plato
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post

Detroit is not New York. One can’t talk about Detroit and not discuss race. Detroit has always been and remains today one of America’s most segregated cities. Detroit's first race riot was in 1863 when the Nation was laboring to correct prior injustices. It's second race riot in 1943 left 34 dead. The one In 1967 left 43 dead and hastened White Flight. The exodus left a diminished tax base and zero new employment opportunities. Mismanagement of the auto companies and poor quality vehicles reduced their market share further reducing the tax base and employment opportunities.

We need to clearly and correctly define the problem before throwing limited resources at symptoms. Unfortunately there is no consensus on what the problem is.
Detroit's problem is that it's full of Detroiters. Living in a nearby suburb, and following the local news, I've read some good analyses of the background of the population. With similar wages, the last generation of Detroiters developed about 20% of the "accumulated wealth" of those who left the factory for the suburbs at the end of the day. Less went to equity, less for education, more for designer labels, more for "lifestyle". And, of course, when mayor Coleman Young railed against "those people from the suburbs" for daring to get mugged in Detroit, the anger became institutionalized.

The city is a repeating self-inflicted wound. With a statistical relationship between poverty and crime, I would love to see someone address the concept that if you're in jail every few years, you probably aren't going to advance too far at the workplace

We often blame the auto companies for the demise of the industry in Detroit. However, the US was formerly among the few nations with the expertise and infrastructure to actually support an auto industry. That advantage disappeared as the rest of the world modernized. Those new modern nations paid their workers a workers wage, and we stuck to our union Gimmecrats.

The wise college professors of the '60s let their students know that that immoral war in Vietnam was not supported by the governments claims that, should China gain a solid foothold in Vietnam, it could turn it's own population to becoming the world's leading industrial power, leaving fewer high-paying jobs in the US and less food on the American table. Self-interested youth saw the obvious truth of that assertion, and we pulled back to mind our own declining business. Not surprising to see the MSM cite "outsourcing" as the cause of our international economic fall.

So, we have Detroit, locally called Detoilet.
Old 06-27-2014, 17:06   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYPatriot View Post
Our POS mayor and city council passed a resolution that bans guns from all city and municipal parks. To an outsider, that may not seem like a big deal but Memphis has a lot of parks in and around the city. The mayor is doing his best to have public areas (such as public parking) designated as a park so that we cannot lawfully carry our firearms. Basically, he's doing everything in his power to ban guns in the city without actually banning them. Just take away all the places we can have them and tighten the noose. This is just one of his tools. Take a look at item 5. Those so-called policies that he's implementing are what I'm referring to. In typical gun-control prose, he wants to make it safer for our youth. It's all about the youth, right? The illusion of safety.

Our current state law permits cities to ban guns in public parks or other recreation areas - a broad term. There's pending legislation regarding it, though, and hopefully that will change the culture around this city (and the state) very soon.

SB 1496
This was attempted a few years back in the Phoenix area and was repealed, someone just needs to do their legal homework.......
Old 07-06-2014, 14:26   #14
CaseyJones
Asset

Baltimore finally out of the top 5! I still don't understand why those who don't have to, live here. Going into my 3rd year as a detective here, I've realized the city is a complete lost cause.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote