Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 04-23-2004, 17:07   #1
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Gear Brands/Makers

Everyone here knows that Eggroll and Razor make great kit, but what other brands are PS.com members using? I have stuff from Razor, High Speed Gear, Maxpedition, Safariland, and Paraclete. All on one setup. I like all of them for different reasons, and they all work for me. What do you have, what do you use, what won't you use and Why?
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 17:20   #2
optactical
Quiet Professional

Use: Eagle, SO Tech, Tactical Tailor, TAS, SDS (only the canteen/ utility pouch) and Maxpedition.

Have but haven't used yet operationally: Kifaru

Will Use or have used: STRIKE, Safariland, HSGI, SOE, Paraclete, and the list goes on....

Will never use: SDS, they don't stand behind their gear, and only provide a 1 year warranty, but the canteen / utility is the bomb and not prone to blowouts in my experience. ELCS, I was issued this piece of crap, and turned it in shortly thereafter. That Gregory/ Bianchi rucksack catastrophe, I turned it in still in the box, sealed, after taking a look at my buddy's.

This is off of the top of my head, I've used tons of stuff.
Old 04-23-2004, 21:35   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Eagle, LBT, BHI (Don't yell Reaper, I didn't know), have an Eggroll on the way, more Eggroll to work next month, thinking Kifaru (book bags for 9 year-olds), Camelback, Emerson, Harsey one day, Glock, Kimber one day, SA, Blade-Tech.

Won't use BHI anymore. Don't like SDS (crappy zippers).
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:20   #4
Ghostrider
Tank Boy

SOTECH, Paraclete, Eagle (RAID assault pack made for Lightfighter), stuff by eggroll, LBT, Tactical Tailor, SOE......and yes even us "mounted" guys appreciate great kit!
Old 04-24-2004, 11:22   #5
Air.177
Quiet Professional

"BHI (Don't yell Reaper, I didn't know)"
OK, I wasn't going to be the first to admit that I had some of their gear. I have a pistol mag pouch and a rigger's belt. Both were given to me and I would be a fool not to use them at that price. That being said, I wouldn't BUY any of their stuff, but Free is Free.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:23   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
SOTECH, Paraclete, Eagle (RAID assault pack made for Lightfighter), stuff by eggroll, LBT, Tactical Tailor, SOE......and yes even us "mounted" guys appreciate great kit!
Easy to buy a lot of gear when you have a steel turtle to carry it all for you.

Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:29   #7
Ghostrider
Tank Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Easy to buy a lot of gear when you have a steel turtle to carry it all for you.

True.....gotta have stuff to keep the lounge chair, ice chest, and grill company.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:44   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Kifaru, Tactical Tailor, EGL, Razor, and BHI.

While I have read of bad experiences with BHI I can state the Rigger's belts (atleast the one I have) was well built. It has supported my ass on several occassions without givingway and I continue to wear it as my uniform belt.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 15:05   #9
Footmobile
Guerrilla

Do most people take issue with Blackhawks' gear being made overseas or is it a quality issue?

Or does being made overseas make it a quality issue by default?

I have been unimpressed with their big ticket items like vests and packs (anything that has to take alot of stress) but have found their pouches of various sorts and small items to be just as good as the industry standard. The STRIKE line of pockets, though obviously a rip off of another companies gear, comes to mind.

Footmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 15:18   #10
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

While I dont have many things from BHI I do own a STOMP II that I used for Tac-Medic support for the SWAT team here. It would not have been my first choice of kit if I were spending the nickel, but it has held up well thru the wear and tear I have put on it for a couple years. It too is a knock-off but of a LBT bag. Then again LBT copied their medication pouch, airway pouch, and IV pouch from Life Support Products sooo. lol

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 15:57   #11
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Footmobile
Do most people take issue with Blackhawks' gear being made overseas or is it a quality issue?

I have been unimpressed with their big ticket items like vests and packs (anything that has to take alot of stress) but have found their pouches of various sorts and small items to be just as good as the industry standard. The STRIKE line of pockets, though obviously a rip off of another companies gear, comes to mind.

For me, it is somewhat of a combination of the causes. I agree with you on the big stuff that I have seen from them. I have heard of and seen several of their products fail. And most importantly, For My nickel, I would rather see a small American shop like Razor or Eggroll do well than a giant corporation like Blackhawk. Just Personal Preference I suppose. Well, Personal preference influenced by All of NDD's talk about oppressed masses toiling in sweatshops
Old 04-24-2004, 16:03   #12
Footmobile
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Air.177
influenced by All of NDD's talk about oppressed masses toiling in sweatshops
If i happen to buy a Blackhawk item does that qualify me for the People's List?
Footmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 16:35   #13
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
If i happen to buy a Blackhawk item does that qualify me for the People's List?
Might ought to ask the People's Medic
Old 04-24-2004, 17:32   #14
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

You've both been on The List for over a week.

Footmobile is is a Marine - the epitome of US oppression projected into the 3rd world to enforce the reactionary policies of the reactionary American imperialist running dogs.

Air for not donating the the 5.11s to The People (mostly me) but rather further perpetrating the capitalist ideals.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-25-2004, 18:56   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Poor quality, yet little, if any less expensive. If the amount of Cordura in a ruck represented such an investment that "Nytaneon" saves money, we are talking pennies on the $100.

Made in Communist Vietnam, other Asian sweatshop wages must have been too high.

One of, if not the worst customer service rep in the industry.

No integrity or original products, virtually everything is a bad/cheap copy of someone elses' gear.

The only thing of theirs I own is the BHI sheath my Y Knife came in, and would have just as soon gotten it with no sheath rather than with theirs for free.

Those of you who have not had problems, yet, the clock is ticking. When it fails in BFE, good luck with the warranty service while continuing the airborne mission without it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote