Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 09-13-2011, 13:04   #181
MG*
Asset

To prepare physically I've been working on keeping my years of weightlifting strength up while adding endurance for strength over time. I PT twice a day; in the morning I do my cardio (6 days a week) and a plyometric workout (3 days a week, alternating) along the lines of "Get Selected," my USMC training, and my days of high school track and field. In the evening I lift heavy weights (4x a week). I eat like a horse to stay at the same size but make sure that I can carry my weight with speed for long distances. I'm naturally over 200 and I'd like to stay that way .

On Sundays I do a rucksack march with another 18X from my recruiting battalion. We're working up to 100 pounds for 12 miles at around a 12-13 minute pace, and we're at 60 pounds now for 12 miles at that pace.

Twice a month I do a PT test on a Sunday to replace a cardio/plyometric workout; I'm trying to beat a perfect APFT by 5-10%.

I get out into the woods as often as possible with friends or alone to camp and hunt and fish. When I'm out (about once a month) I go to a national park and get a map and plot 5-6 points to practice my land navigation, and I review my handy land navigation manual (http://www.uvm.edu/~goldbar/FM3_25.26.pdf). I'm planning to do a nighttime long distance navigation sometime in the next few months.

Mentally, I read daily for about 2-3 hours. Military history, tactics, field manuals, outdoor manuals, the ranger handbook, and about every book I can find on selection and green beret history.

Basically I just make sure that I'm better and more prepared than I was yesterday, and view my training as a routine and way of life.
MG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 13:31   #182
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG* View Post
We're working up to 100 pounds for 12 miles at around a 12-13 minute pace, and we're at 60 pounds now for 12 miles at that pace.
Why stop there? You should shoot for 250lbs for 25 miles, 5 days a week. That'll really get you set for success. Some folks just have to learn the hard way, I guess.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 21:12   #183
Roboterlein
SF Candidate

I've read "Get Selected" and am rereading sections at a time as I get closer to shipping. Work (roofing) seems to get in the way of any consistent workout schedule so I try to do as much as possible while on the job. When I'm not at work, I cycle more than I run as I've found it helped my pace more than actual running did (for some reason?). I do a lot of pushups, situps, and pullups. When it's raining too hard to roof, it seems like those are all I do those days.

The only consistent schedule I've had is that I've been rucking on the weekends, twice a weekend, regardless of weather or on-goings. I use a 40lbs dry-pack for 4, 6, 8, or 12 miles in that cycle and try to maintain a 13minute-per-mile pace.

When I get out of work early enough, I also coach/wrestle/practice/workout with the local high school wrestling team (they're now having off-season prep). I myself wrestle competitively with a different association since I graduated and help coach high school teams when it's that time of year.

I am very excited.
Roboterlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:26   #184
33army
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
[color=pink]Why stop there? You should shoot for 250lbs for 25 miles, 5 days a week.

Beat me to the punch. I can see a very hard lesson being learned in his near future. Standing by to watch the train wreck.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:38   #185
MG*
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33army View Post
Beat me to the punch. I can see a very hard lesson being learned in his near future. Standing by to watch the train wreck.
And what might that lesson be?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:51   #186
33army
Guerrilla

Quote:
And what might that lesson be?
The lesson is that training with that much weight is a bad decision. Ask any QP on this forum and they will tell you that. All that will do is cause unnecessary injuries and stress. Use the search button and type in the word RUCK and you will understand. Any QP may correct me if I am out of line for saying this but what you are doing is quite stupid. But by all means, don't take the advice from guys who have been doing this longer than you and I have been alive.

Last edited by 33army; 09-16-2011 at 11:55.
33army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:08   #187
MG*
Asset

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into it and consider reevaluating my training program regarding ruck marches.

P.S. I don't really like your tone, check yourself 33army.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:30   #188
33army
Guerrilla

Quote:
.....check yourself 33army.
No offense meant by my post MG*, I just state things bluntly. Hopefully when you finish college and receive your commission as a 2LT in the Army you remember that the people with the experience are usually the NCOs.

Last edited by 33army; 09-16-2011 at 12:34.
33army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:34   #189
RobertJordan
Asset

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into it and consider reevaluating my training program regarding ruck marches.

Really?

33army gave you some solid advice that will likely improve your chances of achieving your goals. If you read all the rucking advice on this forum and in "Get Selected" you'd soon realize how outrageous your training program is. If you can do it, more power to you, but is it worth the risk? Maybe now you can start training yourself to have a thicker skin.
RobertJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 13:05   #190
MG*
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33army View Post
No offense meant by my post MG*, I just state things bluntly. Hopefully when you finish college and receive your commission as a 2LT in the Army you remember that the people with the experience are usually the NCOs.
No offense taken. I've actually chosen enlistment over the officer route so that I can get that valuable NCO experience. Best of luck to you at selection. I hope you have a good one too Robert Jordan.
Old 09-16-2011, 16:22   #191
99meters
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboterlein View Post
Work (roofing) seems to get in the way of any consistent workout schedule so I try to do as much as possible while on the job.
I would read what some of you guys (not you) are doing and wonder if you guys had jobs. It seems like you need to be a full-time athlete to get ready for SFAS.
Old 09-16-2011, 17:26   #192
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Maybe you will like mine better.

The point he reiterated has been made in numerous threads on preparing for SFAS here. Along with a lot of other helpful tips, like following the prescribed PT prep program. More is not necessarily better. Searching and reading is fundamental, and doesn't cost anything.

Just like riding a bike will not condition your feet, which is a big part of the reason for running and rucking.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 17:32   #193
TB1077
SF Candidate

For me, I have the reality that I have to work my training around my job. That means running 3-4 days a week at 6 before I go to work, rucking at least twice a week at 9 or 10 at night after dinner, and push ups/sit ups/pull ups whenever I can everyday.

I also look at my job as training in areas that I feel will be quite important to selection (such as teamwork, commitment, communications, etc.). From what I understand the mental aspect seems to be a very important part of selection...

I'm going with the keep it simple approach. Varying run and ruck distances on varying terrain (never using more than a 35-40 lb ruck). Taking care of my feet and the rest of my body. Wearing my boots as much as possible. And keeping it fun so I don't burn myself out.
TB1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 18:47   #194
MG*
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99meters View Post
I would read what some of you guys (not you) are doing and wonder if you guys had jobs. It seems like you need to be a full-time athlete to get ready for SFAS.
I do have a job as a personal trainer, so you're pretty much spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Maybe you will like mine better.

The point he reiterated has been made in numerous threads on preparing for SFAS here. Along with a lot of other helpful tips, like following the prescribed PT prep program. More is not necessarily better. Searching and reading is fundamental, and doesn't cost anything.

Just like riding a bike will not condition your feet, which is a big part of the reason for running and rucking.

TR
Thanks for the advice TR, I'll shut up now and do some more research.

Last edited by MG*; 09-16-2011 at 18:50.
Old 09-19-2011, 21:16   #195
Roboterlein
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99meters View Post
Yeah, it throws me for a loop every time I read through countless posts listing their daily routines. I've had a daily routine of sorts, but helping to provide for the family gets in the way sometimes. Some people are in a good spot to have both, like MG there being a Personal Fitness Trainer.

Despite that, my work is physically rigorous and demanding. We roofed most of the day today in the rain, slipping and sliding up and down the slope, trying to get all of our boards screwed down so we could put tile on them. Then I came home and helped set up booths for the local festival before I went and split wood for later in the winter. That's how nearly every day looks for me. I might not be able to tell you how many dead-lifts, curls, or calf-extensions I can do, but I can tell you that for the last 2 weeks, I've carried stacks of tile uphill for 10 hours a day, that I can do 30+ pullups straight because I force myself to do them every time I walk through the basement door, and that I try as hard as possible to do my best every time with everything.

I am very excited.
Roboterlein is offline   Reply With Quote