Quiet Professional

Meet Kristin Beck, a transgender former Navy SEAL running for Congress

Well, now Diane has a partner.

TR

Meet Kristin Beck, a transgender former Navy SEAL running for Congress
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...b93_story.html

By Ben Terris June 22 at 10:03 PM
On the campaign trail with Kristin Beck, a transgender former Navy SEAL

The transgender former Navy SEAL is challenging Rep. Steny H. Hoyer for the Democratic seat in Maryland's 5th District.

The first thing Lawrence Shaw noticed about the congressional candidate in his driveway were the medals - a Purple Heart, a Bronze Star with a "V" for valor, and a Joint Service Commendation decoration - clipped to her blazer.

"Are you retired military?" Shaw asked, taking a break from his lawn work to walk over to the broad-shouldered woman.

"Yeah, 20 years, Navy SEAL," Kristin Beck said. She brushed back her long blond hair and showed him the silver pendant on her necklace, an eagle clutching a trident, anchor and pistol.

"Wow, I didn't know there was a woman SEAL. That's amazing," said Shaw, a retired Army colonel.

"I'm the first one," Beck said. What she didn't say was that at the time of her service, she was Christopher Beck.

She didn't think she needed to mention it. Two years ago, Beck publicly came out as a woman, but by her account she still "looks like a dude in a dress." Even on a day when she was wearing jeans and a black jacket with white trim.
And anyway, she's running for Congress - not so much as a transgender candidate as a candidate who happens to be transgender.

That's why she didn't bring up gender issues as she walked through Shaw's upper-middle-class black neighborhood in Maryland, seeking votes in her long-shot primary bid against Steny H. Hoyer, the second-most-powerful Democrat in the House of Representatives. Beck, 48, almost certainly isn't going to win. She doesn't have much name recognition or money. She doesn't even have the backing of the major gay and transgender advocacy groups. They have hesitations about her propensity to offend parts of the community and take issue with her attempt to oust Hoyer, a staunch ally for LGBT rights. But what Beck does have is an incredible life story, a slightly jumbled platform of about 70 issues, and a message that the district is ready for a change.
"This is good!" Lawrence Shaw's wife, Yvette, said, leaning on a rake. "Another female in Congress - that's what I'm talking about. Give it to the women!"

Lawrence and Yvette gamely posed for photos with Beck and promised to check out her campaign Web site. Their 15-year-old daughter, Lauryn, grabbed three "Beck for Congress" bumper stickers and pasted them onto the family cars.

(Cont at link above)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 18:45   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

OK, but remember this is the Navy we're talking about.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 19:12   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

I'd tread lightly with this topic as there is a former SF Officer (3rd SFGA), WO (7th SFGA), and NCO (5th SFGA) out there who have all gone through similar 'gender reassignment' processes and now live their lives as women.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 19:41   #4
Box
Quiet Professional

hm

I knew about the BN Cdr but not the WO and NCO
...bless their hearts
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 19:52   #5
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I'd tread lightly with this topic as there is a former SF Officer (3rd SFGA), WO (7th SFGA), and NCO (5th SFGA) out there who have all gone through similar 'gender reassignment' processes and now live their lives as women.

Richard
Now I'm getting confused.......
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 19:52   #6
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

He/she can't be politically worse than Hoyer.
Old 06-24-2015, 20:58   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Richard
A tiny slice of the 10%
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 23:14   #8
Flagg
Area Commander

NZ had had a transgender MP(Member of Parliament).

Before that she was a mayor and before that a sex worker(before it was legal in NZ).

Her grandfather was 2IC of the Maori Battalion in WWII.

I didn't agree with her politics, but she was well regarded in terms of integrity while in office and not working the transgender card as a competitive advantage/crutch.

-----

Personally, I'd like to see the GOP in the US dig up a 41 year old female latino 2nd generation veteran and small business owner who loves the 2nd ammendment(and the rest of the Constitution) and hates illegal immigration.

Preferably hot and equipped as from the factory with no dealer installed modifications.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 23:26   #9
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
Preferably hot and equipped as from the factory with no dealer installed modifications.
Now that's Funny!!!
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 23:48   #10
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Now that's Funny!!!
I was in Hua Hin Thailand last year having dinner and a few beers with a fellow round eye and a few Thai Army fellas.

During dinner we were people watching and asking our Thai hosts why they were suddenly laughing at a scene on the street.

They pointed to a couple of round eye gentlemen chatting up some rather hot "ladies".

Our hosts told us they were lady boys, which left me scared and confused.....so it was an early night.

Since then I've been trying hard to avoid scaring and confusing myself on anything outside of my opinions on geopolitics.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 17:34   #11
Beef
Quiet Professional

I saw part of the CNN special on Kristin Beck a couple of years ago. The real take home point was that he/she was pitiful, didn't have any clear idea of who he/she was and was IMHO, likely to stick a pistol in his/her mouth real soon. I turned it off with the feeling you get when you see someone that has some advanced mental illness or Alzheimer's. If it weren't for the surgery, he'd have probably cut his own dick off with a kitchen knife. Can't believe he's running for Congress. Heavy therapy, I guess. Mis dos centavos.
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 16:13   #12
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

And I thought Jenner made an ugly broad, ufff.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 21:53   #13
Penn
Area Commander

In a changing world, this video imho is worth watching, for the simple reason that armed forces will be transgender sensitive in the very near future.

Additionally, based on the fourteen deployments Senior Chief Beck served, and his shooting skills demoed on the range, I would say she is not one who would suffer any intolerance, or disrespect.

https://vimeo.com/94271926

Also, K. Jenner came out as a republican, no pun intended, but whats the world coming to?

Last edited by Penn; 07-15-2015 at 21:55.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:22   #14
ddoering
Quiet Professional

Republican perhaps but it will be a Dem that dates him.
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:21   #15
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Additionally, based on the fourteen deployments Senior Chief Beck served, and his shooting skills demoed on the range, I would say she is not one who would suffer any intolerance, or disrespect.
I would fully expect that exact scenario to unfold--"You MUST tolerate my mental disorder and deviant behavior, or I will kill you out of my own intolerance of your beliefs!" (said, of course, in a screeching falsetto).
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote