Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 08-11-2009, 16:35   #61
dac
Guerrilla

Cool, this is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. If you don't mind keeping it in the open where others can see I don't mind being your marketing guinea pig.

Exercise | Weight |Reps
-------------------------------
Lat Pulls | 80 | 55 ---Sugest reducing weight to 1/3 your body.
I am 6'2", 265lbs, probably 15-18% fat but I can do 10 real pull-ups so this weight felt really good except for the plate bounce.

Seated Rows | 70 | 59 ---May drop to 60 lbs and see if reps increase
Roger...

Chest Press | 100 | 62 --- Unless you bench 300 lbs this is too much.
It's been a while, but that's not too far off. I will try 85 tomorrow and see what happens. I have ZERO soreness in my chest and shoulders. My hamstrings and calves are a different story.

Half Squats | 0 | 82 ---Seems pretty light (LOL) Try half your body weight on this one.
I don't have a squat machine or leg press, I was just doing freestanding squats down to where my quads were parallel with the ground.

Hamstring Curls | 50 | 50 ---Adjust weight down by 20% (41.6 lbs)
There is a god!

Bicep Curls | 35 | 51 ---Drop to 25 lbs
Roger...

Calf Raises | 0 | 61 ---Body weight plus 2/3rds to start
Same as squats, I was just using a machine crossbrace to stand on.

Knee Extensions | 50 | 59 --- Weight look okay but rep speed is really low for Knee extesions Had one guy doing 142 RPMS.
Roger, will try harder. Quads aren't sore at all either.
dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 22:41   #62
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac View Post
Cool, this is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. If you don't mind keeping it in the open where others can see I don't mind being your marketing guinea pig.

Exercise | Weight |Reps
Lat Pulls | 80 | 55 ---Sugest reducing weight to 1/3 your body.
I am 6'2", 265lbs, probably 15-18% fat but I can do 10 real pull-ups so this weight felt really good except for the plate bounce.

Seated Rows | 70 | 59 ---May drop to 60 lbs and see if reps increase
Roger...

Chest Press | 100 | 62 --- Unless you bench 300 lbs this is too much.
It's been a while, but that's not too far off. I will try 85 tomorrow and see what happens. I have ZERO soreness in my chest and shoulders. My hamstrings and calves are a different story.

Half Squats | 0 | 82 ---Seems pretty light (LOL) Try half your body weight on this one.
I don't have a squat machine or leg press, I was just doing freestanding squats down to where my quads were parallel with the ground.

Hamstring Curls | 50 | 50 ---Adjust weight down by 20% (41.6 lbs)
There is a god!

Bicep Curls | 35 | 51 ---Drop to 25 lbs
Roger...

Calf Raises | 0 | 61 ---Body weight plus 2/3rds to start
Same as squats, I was just using a machine crossbrace to stand on.

Knee Extensions | 50 | 59 --- Weight look okay but rep speed is really low for Knee extesions Had one guy doing 142 RPMS.
Roger, will try harder. Quads aren't sore at all either.

Just a little note, most Blitz speeds Have been averaging about 400 degrees per second...What does that mean...That a 90 degree movement like knee extensions should be about 2.366 reps per second where as a hamstring curl is about 130 degree movement and nets about 1.6 reps per second. So never think you're slower doing about half the number of reps in HS curls as knee extensions. Reps are only important to each exercise. Can't compare (you Can) reps of one exercise to reps of another with out calculating the excursion .

Just some thinking ammo...Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 12-01-2009 at 16:00.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 19:31   #63
dac
Guerrilla

Okay, I finished day 2. Today was much better, I was properly hydrated but my calves were super sore. I figured I would post the first three sessions and then keep going silently and update you later.

Exercise | Weight | Reps 1 | Reps 2
Lat Pulls | #70 | 61 | 59
Seated Rows | #60 | 65 | 60
Chest Press | #90 | 74 | 62
Half Squats | #0 | 57 | 49
Hamstring Curls | #40 | 48 | 47
Bicep Curls | #25 | 60 | 41
Calf Raises | #0 | 45 | 49
Knee Extensions | #50 | 71 | 66

PS: I tried my damndest to make a properly formatted table but this forum software doesn't seem to support it.
Old 08-12-2009, 19:57   #64
grrthetree
Asset

I'm a little skeptical of this program, to be honest. Not to take anything away from the creator or the program itself, but I just can't see this doing anything except changing your routine for a short time while stimulating different aspects of muscular endurance that could be done without making an entire routine of it.

This program doesn't look like something that will truly improve "strength" in the real sense of the word. Also, the exercises prescribed go against everything I've been taught about strength training for two reasons. From what I know, isolation exercises are good additions to programs based on compound movements, so setting up a whole program based on doing circuits of mainly isolation movements doesn't make sense to me. Another thing is that certain exercises and methods leave you more prone to injuries, while the program is designed to strengthen your tendons and joints. What I mean is that it is recommended that you use certain machines, which lock in a fixed range of motion, and exercises like leg extensions, which are proven to be bad for your knees.

So I'm just throwing this out here not to bash or degrade the program or creator, but to state my opinion, and wonder if I can get a better look at it from the designers perspective. So if you could retort some of my statements, I would appreciate it. I'm not trying to set up an argument, though, honest discussion.
grrthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 20:23   #65
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrthetree View Post
I'm a little skeptical of this program, to be honest. Not to take anything away from the creator or the program itself, but I just can't see this doing anything except changing your routine for a short time while stimulating different aspects of muscular endurance that could be done without making an entire routine of it.

This program doesn't look like something that will truly improve "strength" in the real sense of the word. Also, the exercises prescribed go against everything I've been taught about strength training for two reasons. From what I know, isolation exercises are good additions to programs based on compound movements, so setting up a whole program based on doing circuits of mainly isolation movements doesn't make sense to me. Another thing is that certain exercises and methods leave you more prone to injuries, while the program is designed to strengthen your tendons and joints. What I mean is that it is recommended that you use certain machines, which lock in a fixed range of motion, and exercises like leg extensions, which are proven to be bad for your knees.

So I'm just throwing this out here not to bash or degrade the program or creator, but to state my opinion, and wonder if I can get a better look at it from the designers perspective. So if you could retort some of my statements, I would appreciate it. I'm not trying to set up an argument, though, honest discussion.
High school students here should probably neither be seen nor heard. You will learn more with your mouth closed and your ears open.

I recommend that you wait a long while before jumping into a food fight here with both feet.

At 17 or 18, your opinion and experiences carry little weight here. There are a lot of QPs, several physicians, and more than a few people with advanced fitness training available on this board for expert opinions.

Move out, draw fire.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 21:15   #66
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Thanks Reaper...

Saved me from going over all that has already been gone over..some folks should read all of the thread.
An aside; There are now 106 members with copies of the Blitz. I think I should be getting some feed back some day...Thanks Dave

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 08-13-2009 at 05:57.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40   #67
Razor
Quiet Professional

Dave,

To help with dac's problem about not having a machine for his squats and calf raises, could he simply hold dumbells to add weight?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:13   #68
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Yes to weights

Minus the weight of one's legs, squats are body weight. To Blitz properly He's have to find his !RM half squat with weight (plus his body weight) and then take a third of that.
Example; Can do 1 rep half squat with 250 lbs nd he weighs 200 lbs then total weight is 450. Start weight is around 150 lbs (minus the weight of his legs) about 40 to 50 lbs. So he would squat with about 100 lbs of weight. Doesn't seem like much but at the high reps it will be fine. Is this sounding clear to anyone but me?

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-13-2009, 11:49   #69
dac
Guerrilla

Sounds clear, but I don't want to chop off my legs to lose 100lbs.

The gym I use is the condo complex gym, but I'm only a block away from a large real gym. I'm going to check out the inside and prices, maybe I'll join. I am running into quite a bit of problems on the current equipment. I just can't go any faster without the weights bouncing.
Old 08-13-2009, 14:52   #70
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I know....

When we used it in the Physical therapy dept we had that problem a lot. So patients could not get the complete benefit but they still recovered fast.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-17-2009, 17:57   #71
Milktrckcopilot
Asset

I'm also currently using the program. Tonight was my first session. I really burned out on the third circuit after the first exercise. Blitzz I bought the timer you recommended from Radio Shack, it really came in handy. I'm going to run this program Mon/Wed/Fri.

Exercise/Weight/Reps/Goal Reps

Leg Ext/80/75-79-79/ 81

Barbell Rows/50/75-80-59/ 100

Dumbell Press/25's/69-72-49/ 88

Leg curls/50/42-41-31/ 48 Part of the reason the numbers are low is the machine. Unless you are using heavy weight the machine is slow in it's return during the negative portion of the exercise.

Hammer Curls/5's/74-69-62/ 72

Abs Crunch/70/59-58-63/ 60
Milktrckcopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 17:59   #72
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milktrckcopilot View Post
Blitzz I bought the timer you recommended from Radio Shack, it really came in handy.
and that would be?
Old 08-17-2009, 19:09   #73
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

My eval for Milkrckcopilot

abc123 I had mentioned that a elder lady left the PT clinic and joined a local gym to continue her Blitzing. She purchased a timer from Radioshack that she could punch in 1 min and hit the stsrt button to assist with the time Thing.

Milkrckcopilot. here are my thoughts:
Exercise/Weight/Reps/Goal Reps

Leg Ext/80/75-79-79/ 81--------These look good

Barbell Rows/50/75-80-59/ 100---------first two circuits are getting there the third shows you endurance level ( this number will show your endurance improvements.

Dumbell Press/25's/69-72-49/ 88----same as rows

Leg curls/50/42-41-31/ 48 Part of the reason the numbers are low is the machine. Unless you are using heavy weight the machine is slow in it's return during the negative portion of the exercise.-------For that reason you're okay unless you wish to do half squats for the quads instead of extensions you can do them faster

Hammer Curls/5's/74-69-62/ 72-------Goal reps are exceded meaning you may want to recalculate it other wise endurance is comming up.

Good job, Dave Boltz

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-17-2009, 19:14   #74
jlcoad
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Dave,

To help with dac's problem about not having a machine for his squats and calf raises, could he simply hold dumbells to add weight?
what's wrong wih using a ruck sack with sand bags or weights for squats and calves?

Never mind. Where are you going to find a ruck that would hold enough weight. How would you put on 200 - 250 lb ruck on your back

Last edited by jlcoad; 08-17-2009 at 19:39.
jlcoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 20:12   #75
Milktrckcopilot
Asset

PM sent
Milktrckcopilot is offline   Reply With Quote