Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 12-31-2013, 16:24   #1
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Functional fitness and Stanford football

A pretty interesting article about how Stanford's football trainer looks at a lot more than just bench press and 40-yard-dash training.

"Turley pays particular attention to his players’ Functional Movement Screen scores. The F.M.S. is a durability index, what Turley calls “a predictive, quantitative analysis of quality of movement.” That is the first test he conducts. It evaluates seven movements and scores players as balanced, functional, overpowered, dysfunctional and injury prone. It shows if a player executes a movement better with his left leg than his right, pointing out asymmetries."

I have always found it tough to work out with an eye to achieving everything; strength, endurance, flexibility, core, balance, etc. Interesting to see this idea at a big-time Division I football program.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/sp...it_th_20131231

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 17:50   #2
austinsf
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Working smarter, not harder...

Great article, thanks for posting. We are fortunate enough to have an Athlete's Performance team here in Tampa; these guys are true professionals, and work along nutrition, physical therapy, and functional fitness spectrums (they're big fans of the FMS mentioned in this article as well).

This crew has had a huge impact on our SOF brothers and sisters who have enrolled in the program, in terms of working through old injuries, while still improving overall fitness and health.

A lot of us (myself included), are still working through some AF/IZ physical issues, and these guys have been phenomenal in helping us get back to "young guy" shape, while also teaching us how to hold what we got. This program is a big SUSTAIN, IMHO.
austinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:44   #3
booker
Guerrilla

[QUOTE=craigepo;535963]A pretty interesting article about how Stanford's football trainer looks at a lot more than just bench press and 40-yard-dash training.

"Turley pays particular attention to his players’ Functional Movement Screen scores...

Gray Cook has championed the functional movement screen for quite a while, most collegiate S&C programs use some variation of it (http://www.functionalmovement.com/). I still think the best bang for your buck (especially if you aren't near a PT or someone who can help you with mobility) is to do the MWOD daily, or pick up the Supple Leopard book. It's a daily committment that pays big dividends.
Old 01-02-2014, 21:20   #4
craigepo
Quiet Professional

I have just started studying this functional movement stuff. People I have talked to have been very impressed, for both rehab and physical improvement. I had actually wound up on that website while looking for foam rolling tips. Very interesting articles on that website.

In the last year, I have quit going to a gym, and work out only on the farm. I hung a climbing rope on the barn, and went and found a couple of tires, a railroad tie, some big rocks, and bought a sledgehammer. I quit running roads, and set up a 5k trail around my farm perimeter. I've also started using plyometrics a bunch. Seems to be working better thus far.

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
Old 01-05-2014, 21:01   #5
austinsf
Quiet Professional

Craig, your training program and home made facilities sound incredible. I'm definitely of a "less is more" mindset when it comes to physical training, and I'm way more interested in body movement then stacking plates in the gym; with that being said, you've inspired me to try and get back to a farm so I can work out like you, brother.

I think it's also funny that I've met so many folks that are paying top dollar to try and replicate the type of home grown fitness you've put together in your own backyard...good on ya!
. . . This is another type of warfare; new in its intensity, ancient in its origin, warfare by guerrillas, subversives, insurgents, assassins, war by ambush instead of by combat, by infiltration instead of aggression, seeking victory by eroding and exhausting the enemy instead of engaging him.
austinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 18:02   #6
craigepo
Quiet Professional

I thought I would stick this rope climbing video here. I hadn't been on a rope in a long time, and this was pretty helpful. The guy who made the video must be about half squirrel.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_YPQdH1Zg

Josey Wales
Old 05-11-2014, 22:03   #7
tonyz
Area Commander

Ropes

Lol, that rope video brought back some memories...I had an experience with a beast of a coach about a hundred years ago - he was like 10 years older than me at the time (hey, at 19, 10 years difference seemed like an eternity) and he flat kicked my ass.

Arms only, rope climbs to start the day before the daily 3 mile run.

I recall the ropes as highly effective torture devices...building both upper body strength...and humility... damn...those simple ropes can really smoke you.

Back in the day, the dip bar races (how many dips one could perform until failure) was also simple and effective at developing upper body strength without sacrificing agility.

Simple enough to use a dip bar, a horizontal bar and hang some rings, too...create some variety of movement using body weight to combat monotony. Hang a heavy bag as a reward.

Now, I feel sooo out of shape.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote