Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 04-30-2010, 00:05   #16
incarcerated
Area Commander

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=58966

Official Praises Crew’s Response to Iranian Aircraft

By Donna Miles
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, April 29, 2010 – Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell today credited the crew of the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower for its disciplined response last week when an Iranian military aircraft flew within 1,000 yards of it in the Gulf of Oman.

An Iranian navy maritime patrol aircraft flew near the carrier April 21 as it had finished routine replenishment-at-sea operations, a Navy official confirmed on background. The aircraft remained in the area for about 20 minutes before it flew away.

The incident occurred as Iranian forces were preparing to conduct exercises in the Gulf.

Morrell played down the incident, saying close encounters aren’t all that unusual in the narrow, heavily trafficked Strait of Hormuz. “We operate there. They operate there. Lots of people operate there,” he said. “I don’t think … our crews were alarmed by it. I don’t think anybody [at the Pentagon] is too worked up about it.”

There’s been no communication between the United States and Iran about the incident, but Morrell said if the military wanted to contact the Iranians about the incident it would find a way to do so. “But I don’t think it is of concern to the Navy … nor anybody else in this building,” he said.

Morrell said the Eisenhower crew’s restraint during the incident speaks volumes.

“Thankfully, our crews are incredibly well trained, incredibly disciplined,” he said. “And they are very aware of the rules of engagement and the procedures that … should be taken in circumstances like this, and do an incredible job at avoiding … risks of accidental or incidental conflict.”

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 22:55   #17
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
I heard that today on the radio, and saw on Fox this evening that Offshore Drilling Plans Under Gun After Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill

And I thought of Penn's comments.....
From that monument of impartiality and objectivity, The Huffington Post,
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_558465.html

Energy Bill With Offshore Drilling ‘Dead On Arrival’

4-30-10
As an army of workers tries to stem the fallout of a massive oil spill along the Gulf Coast, back in Washington irreparable damage may already have been done to comprehensive energy legislation.
On Friday, Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL) said that a bill that includes provisions to increase offshore drilling off the coast of the United States (as envisioned by, among others, the White House) would be a non-starter in the Senate.
"As the White House looks down the line, it wants a climate change bill later this year," Nelson told MSNBC. "[Sen.] Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) was insisting that there's going to be offshore drilling. I think that's dead on arrival."….

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
Old 05-01-2010, 01:41   #18
Paslode
Area Commander

Quds, Eco-Nazi's or AoG. I think this screwed the chances of drilling for the foreseeable future.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:21   #19
LarryW
Area Commander

Quote:
I think this screwed the chances of drilling for the foreseeable future.
Concur. Some engineering firm is no doubt drafting plans to isolate existing oil rigs from contaminating the environment and new whiz-bang ways of drilling new wells with the same assurances.

It's interesting that after the mine explosion in WV the Obama Admin started thumping it's chest about finding out what happened and why...memorial services, etc. Wonder why BHO isn't doing the same thing with the oil rig explosion.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:05   #20
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Concur. Some engineering firm is no doubt drafting plans to isolate existing oil rigs from contaminating the environment and new whiz-bang ways of drilling new wells with the same assurances.

It's interesting that after the mine explosion in WV the Obama Admin started thumping it's chest about finding out what happened and why...memorial services, etc. Wonder why BHO isn't doing the same thing with the oil rig explosion.

Good point.

I honestly believe most would pay little attention or consider business as usual, except Obama has made mention of bankrupting Big Fossil fuel.

Disaster in mines and oil contamination will play into the pushing Cap'N'Trade and Green Energy.....it already has all future drilling is halted.

Last edited by Paslode; 05-01-2010 at 07:08.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:13   #21
Penn
Area Commander

Iran is itching for a confrontation...remember the 1988 incident where the Vincennes “mistakenly” shot down an Iranian airliner? IIRC, after numerous attempts, the ship could not contact the flight, shoots, we apologized, send 200 million in funding to secure further harassment, and 13 years later the exact same strategy is employed in NYC; civilian airliners... And don't delude yourself with National allegiance Saudi or Iranian, the bottom line is rag head muslims.

I just did a Google=fu on the event. It’s a well crafted PR story of faulty equipment compounding human error and laced with other plausible possibilities. Arguable defensible details and we caved…

The Captain (imo) took one for the team.

Iran is not playing any games, its rehearsing and is deadly serious. We are going lost ships and the Act of War will go unpunished. Propelling Iran into the regional power broker it is determined to be. That’s the end game here.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 21:58   #22
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
The 8th Grp Flash is very fine, but I think the 12th Grp. Flash with its three bolts and its overall graphic image is the best, and therefore should be reactivated and formed as an AD Grp.
Nope. 12th is just too busy. It offends my sense of Flash Feng Shui.
I say stick with the tasteful, understated, and historic 8th flash..
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 22:59   #23
Penn
Area Commander

I will agree that both the 8th and the 11th/20th are well designed and the 5th RVN Flash, for a time, also employed a strong diagonal, but the Fung Sui ends there. The 12th Grp flash has a natural “je ne sais quoi" element with regard to its presence, whereas the all others require some myth making, the 12th Grp needs no such support. Its begins with the numbers 1 2, all other numbers then just line up after 3…..
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13   #24
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
I will agree that both the 8th and the 11th/20th are well designed and the 5th RVN Flash, for a time, also employed a strong diagonal, but the Fung Sui ends there. The 12th Grp flash has a natural “je ne sais quoi" element with regard to its presence, whereas the all others require some myth making, the 12th Grp needs no such support. Its begins with the numbers 1 2, all other numbers then just line up after 3…..
I wore both of 'em (8th and 12th), and for me it is NO comparison. As Utah Bob sez, the lightning bolts are a bit repetitive - what with the SF shoulder patch and all.

That said, I heartily endorse Penn's suggestion to bring back the 12th! My time in that unit was time well-spent, and some of the teams I interacted with there were top-notch. (I served as a "filler" on a couple while the ODA I was on was filling up.) However, I was never fond of the flash. Even 19th's "naughahyde flash" was better!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:19   #25
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Hey! I graduated with the 19th flash. That naughahyde flash was pretty durable. It was simple and color worked on the beret. It had to be discontinued due to teal-blue naughas were endangered. I traded it for a 5th Gp flash with the VN colors on it.

I agree, the 12th Gp flash was a bit busy. But it was a great unit!

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ

Last edited by Green Light; 05-02-2010 at 10:22.
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:29   #26
incarcerated
Area Commander

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...6423WJ20100503

Iran moves to challenge U.S. in Mideast: Gates

WASHINGTON
Mon May 3, 2010 2:47pm EDT
(Reuters) - Iran is challenging U.S. naval power in the Middle East with an array of offensive and defensive weapons, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said on Monday.

"Iran is combining ballistic and cruise missiles, anti-ship missiles, mines, and swarming speedboats in order to challenge our naval power in that region," Gates told a conference of U.S. Navy advocates outside Washington....

Iran's naval forces include several anti-ship coastal defense missile batteries as well as submarines, missile boat and naval aviation units, according to an unclassified version of a Pentagon report on Iranian military power sent to Congress last month.

Old 05-13-2010, 23:37   #27
incarcerated
Area Commander

http://www.stratfor.com/sitrep/20100..._ties_diplomat

Iran: Brazilian President's Visit To Bolster Ties - Diplomat

May 13, 2010 | 2101 GMT
Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva’s visit to Iran will bolster ties between the countries and help take the initiative to solve international issues away from big powers, Iranian Ambassador to Brazil Moshen Shaterzadeh said, IRNA reported May 13. Da Silva is currently scheduled to arrive in Tehran on May 15 from Russia with a 300 person delegation. He is scheduled to confer with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani, and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:25   #28
incarcerated
Area Commander

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/N...aspx?id=175710

'Iran entitled to nuke program'

Brazil president meets Ahmadinejad, calls relations "strategic."
By JPOST.COM STAFF AND ASSOCIATED PRESS
16/05/2010 18:45
Brazilian President Luis Inacio Lula da Silva met with Iranian leaders on Sunday, and called the relationship between the two countries “strategic.”

Speaking in defense of Iran’s right to “independently navigate its course” to seek development and improvement, Silva stressed that a peaceful nuclear research program was within Iran’s sovereign rights.

Silva, who is in Iran for the Summit of the Group of 15 developing nations, spoke following meetings with Iran’s president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and its supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

The Brazilian president went on to say that there were those who hoped his visit would fail.

Ahead of the visit, sources in the US State Department called Silva's visit the last chance for Iran to prevent the next round of sanctions against it. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton predicted that Silva's mediation effort would not succeed, saying new sanctions are the only way to bring Iran around to cooperation....

Old 05-17-2010, 01:27   #29
incarcerated
Area Commander

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64G18A20100517

Iran, Brazil, Turkey sign nuclear swap deal

Parisa Hafezi
TEHRAN
Mon May 17, 2010 3:06am EDT
(Reuters) - Iran, Brazil and Turkey signed an agreement on Monday over a nuclear fuel swap designed to allay international concern over the Islamic Republic's atomic ambitions and avert fresh sanctions on Tehran.
Iran said it had agreed to swap 1,200 kg of its low-enriched uranium for higher-enriched nuclear fuel, to be used in a medical research reactor. The exchange would take place in Turkey, Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said.

Iran, which rejects Western accusations it is seeking to develop nuclear bombs, had earlier insisted such a swap must take place on its territory.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called on six world powers, which have been discussing further U.N. sanctions on the major oil producer, for fresh talks on Iran's nuclear program after the fuel exchange agreement.

"Following the signing of the nuclear fuel swap deal, it is time for 5+1 countries to enter talks with Iran based on honesty, justice and mutual respect," Ahmadinejad said, referring to the five permanent U.N. Security Council members and Germany.

There was no immediate comment from Washington, which has been leading a Western push to impose additional punitive measures on Tehran.

Turkey and Brazil, both non-permanent members of the U.N. Security Council, had offered to mediate to find a resolution to the impasse. It was seen as the last chance to avoid a fourth round of U.N. sanctions.

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan discussed the deal with Ahmadinejad in Tehran, Iranian state media reported.

"The swap will take place in Turkey," Mehmanparast told reporters, shortly before the agreement was signed by ministers in front of reporters.

Mehmanparast said Iran would send low-enriched uranium to Turkey within a month and that it would be under the supervision of the U.N. nuclear agency, state Press TV reported.

"POTENTIAL BREAKTHROUGH"

Major world powers had urged Iran to accept a months-old International Atomic Energy Agency plan to ship 1,200 kg (2,646 lb) of its low-enriched uranium -- enough for a single bomb if purified to a high enough level -- abroad for transformation into fuel for a medical research reactor.

The proposal, backed by the United States, Russia and France, was aimed at giving time for diplomatic talks with Iran.

Tehran agreed in principle to the deal in October but then demanded changes such as a simultaneous swap on Iranian soil, conditions other parties in the deal said were unacceptable.

Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said Turkey would be obliged to return Iran's LEU "immediately and unconditionally" if Monday's agreement between Iran, Brazil and Turkey was not implemented.

"Based on the agreement signed this morning, if the swap does not take place, then Turkey will be obliged to send back our dispatched uranium immediately and unconditionally," Mottaki said.

Trita Parsi, director of Washington-based National Iranian American Council, said a potential breakthrough had been made in the long-running dispute, saying Turkey and Brazil had succeeded in filling a "trust gap."

"But will the deal be satisfactory to the U.S.? With the details remaining unknown, it's impossible to speculate," Parsi said in an e-mail comment.

(Additional reporting by Ramin Mostafavi in Tehran and Fredrik Dahl in Dubai; Editing by Dominic Evans)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lula and friend.jpg (58.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by incarcerated; 05-25-2010 at 01:12.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:31   #30
incarcerated
Area Commander

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64T0U920100530

General McChrystal says Afghan insurgents trained in Iran

Sanjeev Miglani
KABUL
Sun May 30, 2010 7:28am EDT
(Reuters) - Afghan insurgents are being trained inside Iran and given weapons to fight security forces, the commander of U.S. and NATO forces said on Sunday, joining a rising drumbeat of criticism of Iran's role in the country.

General Stanley McChrystal said coalition forces were working to stop Iran from giving material help to the Taliban who have stepped up the campaign to force foreign forces out of Afghanistan in a nine-year conflict.

"The training that we have seen occurs inside Iran with fighters moving inside Iran," he said at a news conference in response to a question on Iran's influence. "The weapons that we have received come from Iran into Afghanistan."

The United States, battling a Taliban insurgency at its worst, has frequently accused Iran of providing some assistance to insurgents in Afghanistan, although Washington says it has not been nearly as important a factor as in Iraq, Iran's other neighbor, where U.S. troops are waging war.

In March, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen said there had been a significant shipment of Iranian arms to fighters in the southern province of Kandahar....