Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Europe

Old 03-20-2015, 18:15   #1
mojaveman
Area Commander

WWII era American 500-pound bomb unearthed at Grafenwoehr training facility

Any readers here ever train at Grafenwoehr? All of the ordnance that was dropped on Germany during WWII has basically left it one of the worlds largest minefields.

http://www.upi.com/Top-News/World-Ne...9711426814975/

Last edited by mojaveman; 03-20-2015 at 18:20.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 15:23   #2
Pericles
Guerrilla

I remember at Vilseck when barracks were being built to move 1st BDE / 1AD there, construction dug up a PzKpfw IV hull, a Hetzer tank destroyer, and a Wespe SPA. No telling what else lays buried.
Old 03-24-2015, 16:54   #3
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
A couple of months ago I saw a new big yellow warning sign posted at Hale's main entrance regarding miscellaneous ordnance and the project to report and dispose of such, making it all the more interesting. Although not Europe, it was all about going there...
http://www.camphale.org/

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 03-24-2015 at 16:58.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 17:18   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
All of the ordnance that was dropped on Germany during WWII has basically left it one of the worlds largest minefields.
It's not just Germany. The combined effects of WW1 and WW2 artillery and aerial bombardment have made much of Western Europe (including the UK, BE, and FR) a virtual mine-field of UnExOrd that remains a hazard to residents and visitors alike.

France, for example, has an EOD unit specializing in and solely dedicated to neutralizing the tons of armaments remaining from those two wars which are discovered and kill a number of citizens (farmers, in particualr) and visitors annually.

IMO, it's a bit like a slef-inflicted GSW - but so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 17:28   #5
Airbornelawyer

UXO from my last trip in France last summer. I stumbled across the German 77 in a farmer's field north of Reims near the Chemin des Dames. The other piles were collected by farmers near Verdun. I also came across a chemical grenade in a freshly-plowed field about 100 meters from that stack, but I just marked the spot and left it.

The other pic is a view from a hill along the French lines across no-mans' land toward German lines along the aptly name Dead Man's Hill (Le Mort Homme). Back in 2008, we met with the local farmers who were dredging the pond in the middle. They had amassed a giant pile of exploded and unexploded ordnance for disposal there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07881.jpg (145.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07932.jpg (148.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07934.jpg (119.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07930.jpg (73.8 KB, 36 views)
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:25   #6
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Laos and Cambodia have a few UXO's still around...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47   #7
glebo
Quiet Professional

That 4th picture looks so tranquil, hard to imagine what a hell it was a hundred yrs ago...
Old 03-31-2015, 09:39   #8
Javadrinker
Guerrilla

I can remember more than one larger than expected detonations during tank gunnery in the mid 70s at Graf due to short rounds....but then I also know of a few exceptional overline shots at Graf ...

It was really exceptional to have just been a witness and not involved in any of said episodes
Javadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote