Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 09-08-2014, 10:08   #136
funnyman
Asset

Smile Disinfo opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQ6 View Post
It is interesting how the intell community changes through the years. It used to be that you shouldn't have social media accounts. Now, it is considered a red flag if you don't have some kind of social media. It is about being the grey man.

Not having FB when the rest of your circle (family, friends, ect.) have one draws a lot of attention particularly if you have any documents back ground in IT (kind of hard to explain your lack of social media and computer use when your undergrad degree in information technology is sitting on the university website). The idea is to have social media but be very strict about what you put out there and keep in mind that nothing is 100% locked down or able to be 100% deleted.
Yes, not having a social media profile can set you apart unless you're an 80 year old grandmother (I'm guessing the algos have age considered). So have your FB profile, but assume anything you post can be seen by anyone at any time. Or, just post a bunch of disinfo, or contradictory info to make it interesting.
Why let the government have all the fun?
Old 10-25-2014, 15:33   #137
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

Word on the street from one of my guys going through basic training as a prior service 18X- 18X's are not showing up to basic ready to go. 92 18Xs started in his company and it is now down to 65 left after only six weeks. Everything from PT failures to tobacco.

Take this as a wake up call. Basic training is no longer a give me. If you have signed an 18X contract you better show up to basic near 280 PT score, and you better be doing your pre-ship checklists. They will find out if you don't. The recruiter can only take so much of the blame for making you ready to ship- it is up to you to get where you need to be physically and mentally.
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 21:42   #138
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

An update from an 18X currently at Airborne School:

First week of Airborne school complete. Utterly embarrassing for a lot of people. We had people here, who already went to selection, got selected and washed out of ABN school due to PT test failure. Just embarrassing. Hand quite a few 18Xs got kicked out due to failure to comprehend training. Basically, after tons of PLF practice and 32ft tower jumps, they couldn't get the form down and got dropped.

I noticed a common theme of this group, was their lack of understanding what they truly are getting into. All they have our hopes of earning their Green Beret so they can grow beards, wear after market gear and walk around post like they are hot shit. They were the guys that ran out and bought the JFK ABN unit patch day one, yet PT and act like they still belong in basic or a support MOS. We went from a class of 419 to 330 in a week. Not to mention, basic rule following. We get told not to stay out or drink/ go off post because our pass was cancelled, yet these guys don't have the discipline to follow these simple instructions. A few got caught, and they are gone.

Also, supplements are a big problem also. Guys can't hit the gym without taking 10 scoops of 4 different supplements that are unauthorized anyways and a few have already been caught with more to follow. Believe it or not, a few even failed the 20 second flex arm hang. Bias is shown towards other branches, foreigners and officers, so it puts a spotlight on all 18xs and other young Army guys.

-BREAK-

A few thoughts-

1-Supplements are not going to get you to where you need to be. They might provide that edge to put you over the top, but you WILL NOT have supplements to rely on when you are on your 30th mile of the trek.

2- As you can see, these 18x's who failed the PT test are likely the ones who blew off PT in OSUT. Their fate was sealed when they thought they would be good to go.

3- It is absolutely comical that guys WHO HAVE BEEN SELECTED are failing the Airborne PT test. Are you kidding me? You HAVE NOT made it until you have spent a year on an ODA. Not when you get selected, not when you walk across that stage, and not when you sign into your unit. You are probationary and you should keep your mouth shut until you have been through at least a year on your first ODA.

4- Too many guys are showing up to the teams with shitty attitudes. You would think most of them have deployed and are BTDT kind of guys, but it is really quite the opposite. I have no idea where this entitled attitude comes from, but if it continues it will get guys killed. Currently, you cannot tell these new guys ANYTHING.

5-Being humble goes a long way. The same guys who want to show the world that they are SF, or even in SF training are the first ones to go. DO NOT count your eggs before they hatch.

Its the same old song, you think guys would start to listen.
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 22:20   #139
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Great comments.

Those attempting to go SF would be wise to heed them, but realistically, those who need to most, will not.

And that is fine as well. Guys who have attitude and who blow off PT don't need to be in SF anyway. The Regiment certainly does not need them.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:19   #140
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechorg View Post
An update from an 18X currently at Airborne School:

First week of Airborne school complete. Utterly embarrassing for a lot of people. We had people here, who already went to selection, got selected and washed out of ABN school due to PT test failure. Just embarrassing. Hand quite a few 18Xs got kicked out due to failure to comprehend training. Basically, after tons of PLF practice and 32ft tower jumps, they couldn't get the form down and got dropped.

I noticed a common theme of this group, was their lack of understanding what they truly are getting into. All they have our hopes of earning their Green Beret so they can grow beards, wear after market gear and walk around post like they are hot shit. They were the guys that ran out and bought the JFK ABN unit patch day one, yet PT and act like they still belong in basic or a support MOS. We went from a class of 419 to 330 in a week. Not to mention, basic rule following. We get told not to stay out or drink/ go off post because our pass was cancelled, yet these guys don't have the discipline to follow these simple instructions. A few got caught, and they are gone.

Also, supplements are a big problem also. Guys can't hit the gym without taking 10 scoops of 4 different supplements that are unauthorized anyways and a few have already been caught with more to follow. Believe it or not, a few even failed the 20 second flex arm hang. Bias is shown towards other branches, foreigners and officers, so it puts a spotlight on all 18xs and other young Army guys.

-BREAK-

A few thoughts-

1-Supplements are not going to get you to where you need to be. They might provide that edge to put you over the top, but you WILL NOT have supplements to rely on when you are on your 30th mile of the trek.

2- As you can see, these 18x's who failed the PT test are likely the ones who blew off PT in OSUT. Their fate was sealed when they thought they would be good to go.

3- It is absolutely comical that guys WHO HAVE BEEN SELECTED are failing the Airborne PT test. Are you kidding me? You HAVE NOT made it until you have spent a year on an ODA. Not when you get selected, not when you walk across that stage, and not when you sign into your unit. You are probationary and you should keep your mouth shut until you have been through at least a year on your first ODA.

4- Too many guys are showing up to the teams with shitty attitudes. You would think most of them have deployed and are BTDT kind of guys, but it is really quite the opposite. I have no idea where this entitled attitude comes from, but if it continues it will get guys killed. Currently, you cannot tell these new guys ANYTHING.

5-Being humble goes a long way. The same guys who want to show the world that they are SF, or even in SF training are the first ones to go. DO NOT count your eggs before they hatch.

Its the same old song, you think guys would start to listen.
Great post,

IMO our recruiting is being affected by the unprofessional perception the recruits see on T.V. , in articles, internet etc....something as simple as team hats, beards, and mixed uniforms are the visual attraction to these types and this is not much different to what I see of the guys here on Bragg the prima dona image is in. It kind of reminds me of the Gen X attitude era of WWF. Today it is all about the image being SF is "cool" and in style.

NEWSFLASH, what you see on T.V. are team going native for the sake of the mission, growing beards is a cultural thing in Afghanistan, mixing clothes eliminates the formal appearance and breaks down barriers between us and their culture.

Fitness!?!? Failing an Airborne school PT test???????? I am glad they were caught then and I hope they were not retrained and put back into a hold status somewhere. These troops have maturity and character issues.

Sorry about the rant.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:49   #141
Scimitar
Area Commander

I imagine most of this behavior is simply because of the way the majority of 18x recruits obtain their contract.

USAREC has an 18X special mission, the recruiter gets "2 points" for a special mission contract. Anyone 20+ years of age, with GT score over 110 will likely have an 18x contract offered to them. And that's about all the prep / explanation they get until SOPC. And even then the SOPC TACs only have 4 weeks to create any real mentality change before SFAS.

USASFC does not see the need to get involved at the front end of the Initial Entry recruiting pipeline, and of the 85%+ of 18x washouts (most in basic training), the Army gets a smart 11-Bravo, who I imagine the 82nd will mature just fine.

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 11-30-2014 at 17:10.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:11   #142
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

Quote:
who I imagine the 82nd will mature just fine.
We have more than our fair share of maturity issues and it's one of the most common reasons a lot of us aspire to go SF, CA, and PSYOPS.

Xrays should definitely heed all of this and and make the 82nd one of your many reasons to make it through. Unless your all about signing songs on Ardennes, enjoy weekly rituals of picking up trash, and area beutification...

BMT
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:08   #143
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
We have more than our fair share of maturity issues and it's one of the most common reasons a lot of us aspire to go SF, CA, and PSYOPS.

Xrays should definitely heed all of this and and make the 82nd one of your many reasons to make it through. Unless your all about signing songs on Ardennes, enjoy weekly rituals of picking up trash, and area beautification...
Builds character, discipline, and a heartfelt appreciation for why SF is worth the pain required to get your foot in the door (NTM - an incentive to succeed - so you never have to go back ). Looks like a win/win to me!
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 17:58   #144
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
... the Army gets a smart 11-Bravo, who I imagine the 82nd will mature just fine.

S
That aren't smart or they would have passed the PT test. They can't pass the Airborne PT test, so they go to dirt-nasty-leg land never to be heard from again. Good.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 15:17   #145
ECUPirate09
Asset

deleted
Old 01-09-2015, 00:13   #146
Lionshare
Guerrilla

Last edited by Lionshare; 07-20-2020 at 13:52.
Lionshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:01   #147
Scimitar
Area Commander

Very interesting stuff,

HUGE change from 2006-2009 period.

Cheers for the info

S

-- Robert Browning

-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Old 01-09-2015, 08:52   #148
Lionshare
Guerrilla

Last edited by Lionshare; 07-20-2020 at 13:51.
Lionshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 17:11   #149
Scimitar
Area Commander

Thinking about it, the change you are likely seeing, is one that was discussed back in 09.

To make recruiters more accountable, they only get 2 points if the recruit actually attended SFAS, many don't.

If not the recruiter has undertaken the extra work that an 18x contract requires for no gain. Hence their greater caution.....perhaps.

S

-- Robert Browning

-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Old 07-29-2015, 09:30   #150
Byrd
Asset

College

In preparation for college, I've been required to fill out multiple papers and create multiple online accounts for the purposes of standardized testing, applications, etc. I'm not sure as to the extent of their public/private availability, but I am rather certain that it can be accessed by many school and government officials. Is there any way that this may affect me in the future if I do earn the Green Beret?
Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote