Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 02-04-2020, 08:30   #46
InTheBlack
BANNED USER

Treating fever

Has it been proven that REDUCING fever is the correct action with SARS & MERS?

Presumably would be the same for this virus.
InTheBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36   #47
InTheBlack
BANNED USER

Hydration - electrolyte powder

Anyone know what type is correct? I see "sport" products that probably don't necessarily contain everything needed in a medical situation.

Pedialyte is the only "name brand" I know, but its formulated for infants -- is it really correct for adults?

Obviously the powder form is best to stockpile, but its not clear how many liters per "sale unit" on Amazon.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:42   #48
mugwump
Area Commander

Sorry, never take an ambien and post. Lesson learned.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:50   #49
InTheBlack
BANNED USER

Pneumonia vaccines

In 2006 we were talking about a vaccine called Pneumovax II.

Nowadays it seems to be Pneumovax 23.

Different things, or has 23 replaced II ?

And how do we explain to the MD why we want HiB vaccine? (Haemophilia Influenza Type B) when they think its for kiddie earaches? When was that vaccine invented -- what age group did not get it as a kid?

My excellent MD retired a few months ago, and now i'm stuck in Big Box Medicine, and the guy is a Door Closer, not a Helper.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:58   #50
InTheBlack
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
Sorry, never take an ambien and post. Lesson learned.
Getting stuff out is healthy. Ambien can uncork it.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:25   #51
mugwump
Area Commander

Thanks for this. I wasn’t aware that prone vs supine produced proven superior oxygenation, ie the patient being face down is better than face up. Had no effect on mortality statistics in ventilated patients but the home cook will never be baking that cake anyway. If I’m nursing a sick patient with pneumonia, they’ll be face down.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
Old 02-04-2020, 12:28   #52
mugwump
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBlack View Post
Getting stuff out is healthy. Ambien can uncork it.
I refer you to the esteemed philosopher Bill Barr: real men repress their feelings.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
Old 02-04-2020, 19:16   #53
InTheBlack
BANNED USER

HYDRATION - Oral Rehydation Therapy (ORT)

How many days or worst case liters might be needed?

Some info on dosing & amounts of electrolytes in ORT products:
https://www.drugs.com/mmx/pedialyte.html#s00111839

You will need 4 - 8 liters per day of ... any of these products it seems.

1 carton of Pedialyte powder (6 packets) makes a total of 2.8 l
10 days x 8 = 80 l
divided by 2.8 l / carton = 29 cartons
Amazon price $32.94 x 29 = $955

There must be a much cheaper generic product. Some are named in the above reference.

There is a difference between Dextrose based and Rice based, for the carbohydrate content, and it has to do with gut function; I don't know if one is preferable in our circumstance.

Also in using Bicarbonate vs Citrate for one of the electroytes.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:17   #54
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Both American and United have suspended flights to and from Hong Kong. Now no U.S. carriers service the SAR. The last United flight out is 7 FEB HK time.

Other carriers like Singapore, Eva, and HK based Cathay Pacific are still flying. However, Cathay is seriously slashing it's flight schedule.

Taiwan will quarantine at home for 14 days any of its residents returning from Hong Kong.

And, unrelated, Michael Yon was detained today by HK immigration and denied entry (according to his Twitter account).

It looks like HK is beginning to become isolated from the rest of the world.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:55   #55
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Both American and United have suspended flights to and from Hong Kong. Now no U.S. carriers service the SAR. The last United flight out is 7 FEB HK time.

It looks like HK is beginning to become isolated from the rest of the world.
The nurses and Doctors wanted the HK government to shut down all travel completely between HK and mainland china.

"If the government listened to us, if they had closed down that high-speed rail, if they closed down the borders, all of this could have been prevented," Wong says. "We have been advocating for this for weeks now. We have been advocating for this since early January. But they haven't done anything." Dr. Wong cardiologist HK Feb 1st talking about the threatened nurses strike if HK doesn't close the borders.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:44   #56
PSM
Area Commander

Hmmmmm:

Quote:
Tencent may have accidentally leaked real data on Wuhan virus deaths
Tencent briefly lists 154,023 infections and 24,589 deaths from Wuhan coronavirus

By Keoni Everington, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2020/02/05 18:59

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — As many experts question the veracity of China's statistics for the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, Tencent over the weekend seems to have inadvertently released what is potentially the actual number of infections and deaths, which were astronomically higher than official figures.

On late Saturday evening (Feb. 1), Tencent, on its webpage titled "Epidemic Situation Tracker", showed confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019nCoV) in China as standing at 154,023, 10 times the official figure at the time. It listed the number of suspected cases as 79,808, four times the official figure.

The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300. Most ominously, the death toll listed was 24,589, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day.

Moments later, Tencent updated the numbers to reflect the government's "official" numbers that day. Netizens noticed that Tencent has on at least three occasions posted extremely high numbers, only to quickly lower them to government-approved statistics.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1580900233-5e3a9f8931260.jpg (52.2 KB, 25 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 14:51   #57
InTheBlack
BANNED USER

Tencent is a huge tech company... Not convinced they would possess the "real" numbers. Certainly the grunt typing in the web page numbers won't be given the data. Most likely input errors.
Old 02-05-2020, 17:01   #58
mugwump
Area Commander

Quote:
Tencent is a huge tech company... Not convinced they would possess the "real" numbers. Certainly the grunt typing in the web page numbers won't be given the data. Most likely input errors.
Doubt they’re entry errors. I think it’s 1) misinformation or 2) real data. I saw one of the earlier ‘leaked’ screenshots and it was consistent with case projections curves from epidemiologists using a Ro of 3ish I believe. The ‘official’ numbers are all suspiciously low.

Whoever is doing this is risking their freedom/life. It’s entirely reasonable to assume someone who does know the official numbers is collaborating with a Tencent techie.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
Old 02-05-2020, 17:03   #59
mugwump
Area Commander

My daughter's clinic in Madison WI confirmed a case today. Sent home to quarantine in place. Phone contact every 2 hours.

'Recent international travel' is all they’re releasing.

I don’t know if it’s released yet so, shhhh, don’t tell anyone lol

“Klaatu barada nikto”

Last edited by mugwump; 02-05-2020 at 17:15.
Old 02-05-2020, 17:14   #60
mugwump
Area Commander

Quote:
And if it is a bureaucrat collaborating with a Tencent techie it’s grim news: 15%-18% fatality rate. Once you get to the point of hospitalization there’s very little hope of recovery, 'leaked' figures showing much lower 'recovered' and much much higher confirmed cases vs official figures.

The curve that these ‘leaked’ numbers lie on projects >1B cases by the end of March. This is consistent with the 'worst case' epidemiological projections. Logarithmic grown is a terrifying thing.

“Klaatu barada nikto”