Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-06-2004, 18:25   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by woobie master
TR,

Studying your first and second line gear, led me to some observations. Your first line appears to be further broken down into two groups: Your gun belt kit, and the items you carry on your riggers belt, and in your pockets.

I'm assuming this was done in case you were envisioning that something could occur that you would have to drop your gun belt. If that were to occur, it would appear that you would still have backup's of your critical items on your rigger's belt/in your pockets.

Am I tracking on your thought process Sir?
Roger.

Starting level has bare minimum survival gear. 1st Line adds to that, second to that, ruck more still.

Subsequent layers add additional, less important capabilities, improved but bulkier items, and increasing mission capabilities.

That is just my technique, use what works best for you in your situation.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 19:00   #17
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
That is just my technique, use what works best for you in your situation.

TR
Roger that, Thank You for your input Sir.

My second line I have down fairly well, I'm always screwing with my first line, searching after the elusive "perfect setup" that will work for most situations.

I have a padded Tactical Tailor modular belt with 2 frag pouches and 2 knife pouches on it. With this I can carry a surefire 6z, leatherman, a brunton compass, 2 traumedics, a GPS, and a strobe. Makes a pretty good "1st line".

I wish there was some way to design a practical gun belt that also had the provision to have molle attachments on it. If someone can crack that egg, they could make some decent money.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:17   #18
Razor
Quiet Professional

Joe,

Actually, its the reverse. I made the pouch, and Egg sewed the bottom seam, which was too thick for me to sew with my machine (Egg has a MAN'S machine ).

Woobie, would a PALS duty belt adapter panel that uses a fold-over Velcro belt attachment, and provides two rows of three channels of PALS webbing do the trick?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:37   #19
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Razor,

I have one of those-what a coicidence!

Here's some thoughts for your gearqueers with sewing machines....

Razor, how about modfifying that product so the velcro belt attachment is at the top, instead of the middle, and runs the full length of the pouch? And how about making it wider, say 4 or 5 pals channels? As the pouch is now, it works, but it's a little "floppy".

Also, how about making a panel about the same size as a RACK Bib, but make the belt attchment sytem in a way that the panel could be attached to a riggers belt, for 1st line items, yet not be in the way of a gun belt?

Attached is the back of an E&E pouch that some 1st grouper made. If the front was full of Pals channels, I think it would be awesome! The belt attchment is just thick webbing sewn in two loops, I flipped one down so that you could see how the attchment allows the pouch to ride on the hip w/out interfering with a gun belt.
Old 10-24-2009, 15:57   #20
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but this seemed the obvious location to seek the information...

I am working on putting together a more "informed" first line setup. I am looking at purchasing one of the many padded MOLLE belts that are on the market, but I am wanting to clarify exactly how they work. As best I can tell, they do not replace the belt that is actually holding up my pants...correct?

If so then based on TR's initial post, are you distinguishing between the items on your rigger's belt (like the small pouch) and in pockets vs the items truly on your first line that are attached to the gun/padded/MOLLE belt? Following this thought, this would mean that the first line is ditch-able without losing your most basic survival items. Correct?

Just wanting to make sure I am tracking everything effectively.

Any suggestions on who makes a good padded belt/suspender combo? Any new intel from anyone on what you are running on your first line?
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 17:10   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRoadtrippin View Post
Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but this seemed the obvious location to seek the information...

I am working on putting together a more "informed" first line setup. I am looking at purchasing one of the many padded MOLLE belts that are on the market, but I am wanting to clarify exactly how they work. As best I can tell, they do not replace the belt that is actually holding up my pants...correct?

If so then based on TR's initial post, are you distinguishing between the items on your rigger's belt (like the small pouch) and in pockets vs the items truly on your first line that are attached to the gun/padded/MOLLE belt? Following this thought, this would mean that the first line is ditch-able without losing your most basic survival items. Correct?

Just wanting to make sure I am tracking everything effectively.

Any suggestions on who makes a good padded belt/suspender combo? Any new intel from anyone on what you are running on your first line?

Correct.

Correct.

I am running an HSGI suspender and an Eagle padded belt. No real change to my set-up, other than upgrading minor items and adding a dump pouch and flexcuffs.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 18:49   #22
Anevolution
SF Candidate

sticky ple .Thing

TR,
Sir, is there a way you could explain how the gear works in correlation to each other. Having done only vbss and ship board gun watches I feel very confused when it comes to gear. How and why one piece is choosen over another, aside from personal preference. Like on a chest rig the single mags accross the abs or the 3 dubble mags centered. Why suspenders, what's the difference in belts etc... I've read the stickey on the m4/m16 and having worked with them off and on for the past few years I learned more surffing around the internet then working in the armory. We just broke them down cleaned m4, m14, m9 etc.. I never knew anything more then clean this and this goes together like this. I was not a GM ( kinda like a brovo) I just worked in the weapons dep so I worked in the armory from time to time. But this thread has got me thinking about how much I don't know. Also in the 11b ait do they go over these topics, or if I'm selected is there a class on this type of tig? Or is it a learn as you go kinda thing. Thanks in advance.
V/r
Anevolution
Anevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 18:59   #23
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Anevolution:

When you are in the SFQC you will be issued the gear you need from the bins at CIF. You have many other things you should be concentrating on other than distinctions between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line gear.

There will be time in the course to work thru some of your kit but more so when you get to a team and meet your Team Sergeant...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote