Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 07-24-2004, 17:19   #1
SP5IC
Quiet Professional

46th Company

Since I missed most of the really good deals in SF, are there any 46th Company guys out there? Terry D. I see the flash, how about the inside poop?

Mark A.
SP5IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:48   #2
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Re: 46th Company

Quote:
Originally posted by oldSF
Since I missed most of the really good deals in SF, are there any 46th Company guys out there? Terry D. I see the flash, how about the inside poop?

Mark A.
I was in Thailand from 72 to 74. Final assignment was SFT-43(SCUBA). Worked at Vayama abd lived in Pataya with Foushee, Kent, Pringle, Sonsel, Little and Wick.

A real hardship tour.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 17:31   #3
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Folks: I feel I may be giving a false impression of the 46th SFCA. I had a posh assignment but for the most part the teams were very active. I spelled an operator at Lampang and never met most of the team members as they were in the field with the Thai BPP. Same story at Nong Takoo. The team was out all day training the troops. In addition there were various projects and operations going on at places like Phitsanaluk (otherwise known as Pits).

We had it easy at Pataya and our doors were always opened for our brothers from up-country.

misery is optional.

Old 08-09-2004, 19:22   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional

I was there '73 - '74 (Nong Takoo and JCRC at NKP). I left when we were closed down and sent back to Ft Bragg (A-742 for me). LTC Marachek was our last Cdr at USASFT; LTC Beckwith had Control Team Alpha at JCRC when I left.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 19:34   #5
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hayse
I was there '73 - '74 (Nong Takoo and JCRC at NKP). I left when we were closed down and sent back to Ft Bragg (A-742 for me). LTC Marachek was our last Cdr at USASFT; LTC Beckwith had Control Team Alpha at JCRC when I left.
How'd you like the road from Lampang to Nong Takoo?

misery is optional.

Old 08-09-2004, 20:20   #6
Richard
Quiet Professional

The "Friendship Highway" wasn't bad--except for all the bad drivers on the road. The "path" into Nong Takoo wasn't too bad during the dry season but was a MFer during the rainy season. My old Power Wagon ambulance could handle it...most of the time. Making the drive with either Galen Musselman, Mike Hollingsworth, or George Rallios was as exciting as taking a chiba bus from Panama City to Colon! Sometimes I can't believe we ever made it...and with all of our fillings, too!
Old 08-10-2004, 20:23   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Mr. Hollingsworth was one of my mentors.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:42   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

I replaced Mike Hollingsworth at Nong Takoo; I came in and 48 hours later he left for the states. I was the only medic there for almost 4 months; sure made my life busy and my days long. Jerry Wareing was the NCOIC of Sering Dispendary in Lop Buri at that time.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:45   #9
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Red face My Big Fat Thai Wedding

Panee and I had a traditional Thai wedding to include a sedan chair ride through the neighborhood and "hours" sitting cross legged on the floor while priests sang their chants. Afterwards we had a real party. Our house had side-by-side doors going into the two bedrooms. The bedrooms each entered into the bathroom. It was possible to go through one bedroom, use the bathroom and come out througfh the other bedroom. There was a Buhdist Shrine set up in front of one of the doors. I went to relieve myself and returned through the wrong door. Buhda and flowers and inscense went flying in all directions. All of the old ladies were in a panic saying that our marriage was doomed.

In December Panee and I celebrate our 32sr anniversary.

BTW: I think Musselman may have attended.

misery is optional.

Last edited by QRQ 30; 08-11-2004 at 06:51.
Old 08-11-2004, 19:13   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

I remember when Musselman (we called him motor pool) got married in a traditional Thai ceremony. He had that BIG goofy grin of his and his bride (Penh??) was gorgeous. We all smiled as we knew the "reason" she was marrying Galen!

When his wife wanted to learn better English, she asked him to arrange some lessons for her. He bought her an unabridged English dictionary! Typical Galen.
Old 08-21-2004, 14:29   #11
monkeydan
Asset

Congrats QRQ. I've been married to my thai woman just over a year. Yes, I may possibly be the youngest guy on this forum . Looks like a lot of other guys here have thai brides. Coincidence?

Dan
monkeydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 00:15   #12
KSC
SF Candidate

Just a quick check, any of you 46th CO guys know Larry Carey during your stay? I know he spent time in both Lop Buri and Pataya. I know he'd love to be in touch with someone from back in his old 'glory days.' So let me know and I'll shoot you his email.

Last edited by KSC; 06-18-2007 at 02:18.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 14:16   #13
SFS0AVN
Quiet Professional

46th

I was DS to the 46th Co with 7th Airlift Plt in 68. We landed the first UH-1H in front of 46th HQ and spent a few days jumping everyone for back pay and again for the next jump pay. I jumped my own Huey for my Thai wings that week. We slept in the Bar in the Club. You may have seen a picture of a Thai Sergeant Major hanging upside down on a Huey skid, in the 46th lobby. That was my Huey, he had never jumped one and never did again. I think the Thai SF kicked him out because he wouldn't go back up. We also did Maguire rigs for the company. Thought I'd drop by and say howdy.
I hope this attachment works!?

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
Rommel

Last edited by SFS0AVN; 06-07-2007 at 09:03. Reason: Add Graphic
SFS0AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:36   #14
MFFI115
Quiet Professional

Jan '71 to Jul '73.

Left CCC and PCS'd to 46th CO. I spent my first year as the Intel Sgt on A-14 at Phits Camp. Yes, it was a special project, but the work was no more "glamorous" than any other camp - long hours training our "indig". Early in '72 I went with the B-Team to Nam Pang (not Nam Pung Dam) for another project (the A-teams were TDY from Oki), then to the BN S3 in Lopburi, then the last year with SFT-44, the HALO team.

I got to go back on several TDYs from '89 to '93 when I was in C/1/1 and 1/1.
MFFI115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 18:37   #15
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

At Nam Pang with MFFI.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote