Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 09-11-2008, 23:40   #1
crash
Guerrilla

Question TSSI M9 Assault Medical Backpack

http://store.tacsurv.com/ProductDeta...id=TSS-M-9-ACU

Just picked up one of these, price was to good not to. Been looking for a smaller more streamlined aid bag with out all the feel good and cool guy stuff. Just the basics. Haven't had a chance to really use it yet.

I've heard that the 75th is getting issued these now, but I haven't seen anyone use them before. Only thing similar was the paraclete pack I've seen the D boys with, never seen the inside or how that ones set up though.

Just wondering if anyone out there is using it and how they like it. Also what they carry in it. Been out of the field for a while, think i have all the bases covered but just feel like I'm forgetting something.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:00   #2
Doc Z
Asset

Thumbs up An excellent looking pack

Wow! I am amazed at this med pack. We are currently using assault packs with the aid bag side pouches internalized (we blend in with the joes) but this pack could easily slide right under an assault pack without even noticing it is there! (Not to mention it has ACTUAL compartments with easy top access. I don't see a drug sack though, and my browser is having issues seeing the accessories. I would imagine it would be an accessory?

I am definately writing this NSN down. (Cross fingers on the PSG approving the use of food money, or maybe I will foot the bill for my own)

-Doc Z
I have been on the Battlefield. I have had to look and work when others would only look away in sheer revulsion and fear. The sound of men crying in pain as if they are boys. I ignore the battle ensuing around me to save these Mens' lives. You think flying a flag makes you a patriot? No, no. Those MEN are the true patriots. The only kind of Patriot that really matters.
-Doc Z

RIP Brothers - SSG Rodgers 16Aug2008, SSG Farley 17Sep2008, SGT Penich 16Oct2008. SGT Dawson 17Jan2009
Doc Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:19   #3
crash
Guerrilla

I haven't really had a chance to use it but I'm impressed so far.

The inside, even the top flap with the loops is all Velcro and everything just hooks in, so you can move stuff around, make your own pouches, ect. There is also a piece that just has molle loops across it with the Velcro so you could attach any pouches you have without modification.
Old 09-13-2008, 19:50   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

TSSI is a great company, and IIRC, Eagle builds this pack for them, so it should be extremely durable.

The design was supposedly from an 18D.

Very low profile, very nice.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M9-FR.jpg (27.4 KB, 414 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:06   #5
Cass100199
BANNED USER

Jut saw this bag last week. It's how I found this site, actually, doing research on it. Got to put my hands on it and whatnot and have to say I'm highly impressed. This is at the top of my Xmas list for the next deployment.
Cass100199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 19:30   #6
rab97
Quiet Professional

M9 Bags

All the D's in 10th Grp got them. It took awhile, but it happened. I like mine. I also like the TSSI M-5 bag.
rab97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 00:10   #7
lssah2025
Asset

Inquiry

Currently looking at the TSSI M9 to replace my current kit bag (for SAR/helo use). Couple of questions for you fine operators that use them now.

1. How is the internal space and set up, user friendly?
2. The lower area has fastex buckles and a zipper, is that another seperate compartment or access to lower internal portion of the bag?
3. Is there enough room or location for a BVM?
4. The molle attachments on the side, is it a single or double width, to accomodate external pouches?
5. From the picture on their website (the area where the laryngo blades and OPA's are) is that a zippered compartment underneath of it?

Any and all info would be appreciated, just hate to order something without getting my damn hands on it or getting the 411 from current users.

__________________________________________________ ________________

"Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved; and to be steady on all the battlefront besides is merely flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point". Martin Luther
lssah2025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 00:32   #8
kawika
Auxiliary

How is the internal space and set up, user friendly?
It's pretty user friendly but not a whole lot of space. Very limited on what you can carry. If your going to use a setup like this make everyone else carry their blowout stuff, that way you can hold only advanced treatment stuff. Your not going to be shoving kerlex into this thing by any means.
3. Is there enough room or location for a BVM?
Not really unless you sacrifice room for more important stuff. Recommend attatchment to the outside if you do go with this setup

Ill look at it again and post responses to the rest of your questions, thats all I could remember offhand. Nobody in my company uses those bags for medical stuff. They are however the perfect radio bag. Perfect size for a 117 with additional space for handmikes, phone etc.

It's to small to really be of any use, and cumbersome. Your either on a truck and you should pack to the high heavens since you have unlimited space. Or for DA something like a hip belt with pouches attatched to that is much much better. That way you can more easily take it on and off. When its on your hip its way easier to carry than something on your back which you probably already have alot of (camelback in addition to your bodyarmor bulk). We were doing constant helo infils and the belt solution was much better for us, although we had 10k+ movements after the helo infils. If your doing CSAR or just riding on a helicopter you might as well have a big bag that actually has space for things you need. This bag just doesn't have enough of it unless you defeat the purpose of it by placing like 5 pouches at least on the outside.

Oh and I forgot, if you do go with this bag change out the straps. They are really thin and will cut into your shoulders about 0.5 seconds into movement. We took straps off whatever random blackhawk bags we had laying around and had riggers sew them on.

Last edited by kawika; 12-21-2008 at 00:37.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:24   #9
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

1.) It is fairly user friendly but prioritizing equipment is a must (knowing the mission requirements and being able to pack within that constraint.) As kawika points out, you wont be stuffing kerlix or anything else into this pack in an orderly fashion.

2.) Yes.

3.) The space in the bottom will fit a BVM though it wasn't intended for that purpose; it is for a poleless litter.

4.) The PALS is single channel. My personal feelings are that if you find yourself adding pouches to this pack then you are over-extending it and as such should find something else.

5.) It is a velcro panel thats removable.

Guys, the M9 bag was designed to fit a certain mission requirement for a certain group of guys. Keeping this in mind it is a good bag, however it is not a bag that will fit the multi-mission role very well.

OOMV but thats my .02.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 12-21-2008 at 13:23.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 13:31   #10
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
lssah2025: We are SF medics; not operators.

1.) It is fairly user friendly but prioritizing equipment is a must (knowing the mission requirements and being able to pack within that constraint.) As kawika points out, you wont be stuffing kerlix or anything else into this pack in an orderly fashion.

2.) Yes.

3.) The space in the bottom will fit a BVM though it wasn't intended for that purpose. It is for a poleless litter

4.) It is single channel. My personal feelings are that if you find yourself adding pouches to this pack then you are over-extending it.

5.) It is a velcro panel thats removable

Guys, the M9 bag was designed to fit a certain mission requirement for a certain group of guys. Keeping this in mind it is a good bag, however it is not a bag that will fit the multi-mission role very well.

OOMV but thats my .02.

Crip
I'll agree with the above posts and Crips, but I have some of my own input on the use of this bag...

1) I'm on DA team...both medics use this particular bag for our hits; however, we also keep larger bags available either with a terp, vehicle, etc...

2) yes.

3) The bottom zipper portion is where we keep the p-less litter and IVs kits. I agree there is enough room for bvm, but you can fit that bad boy in the inner area. We usually role with 2 1L Iv kits in that bottom pouch though. BVMs are pretty prone to abuse and being condensed down to fit in small places.

4) As far as attachments just be careful...too much shit added on and you're only weighing yourself down and increasing your physical size and stature considerably. The only attachments I added were grenade, flashbang, and smokes across the top for guys in the stack to grab when needed. I also threw on some chem lights and TQs. Chem lights for cleared areas, signals, etc...TQs well you can never have enough of them.

5) The straps were annoying, but that's easily fixed when you attach the fastex clips to your kit and use the waist strap in addition. As far as the inside goes...it's user friendly and medic's choice. There are 4 strips in there that can be removed to hold various items. I chose to remove one of those to leave more room for the pouch contents.

Personally I've used this bag on every hit. It's comfortable once you fastex it to your kit which keeps the weight off your shoulders and once you know the inside it's very easy to work out of. I've moved distances varying from 100m to 3k with it on my back in route to the OBJ. I've also climbed all over the freaking mountains with it on and climbed all over buildings, walls, corn fields, etc.

Choosing your aid bag is like anything else...sights, gloves, boots etc...it's your personal preference. Good luck on the hunt. Hope this helps some with your search. Let me know if you have any other questions.

**Forgot to mention** Our 18Es and CCTs liked this bag so much they stole three of our extras and modified them a little bit. Turns out that if you rip out all the velcro pieces and cut a small hole in the top of the bag....this thing will easily hold a radio and a few other various items. It fits perfectly. The 18Es also liked having the ability to fastex this thing on their kit b/c the weight of the radio was pulling their regular bag straps into their shoulders. They would run the cable out the bottom zipper from the inside to outside and attach the antenna onto the bag with zip ties where the molle attachment points are at. The X-wing actually fits without pushing over the top of the bag or sticking to far off the bag and body. This helped the 18Es streamline themselves a little bit better.

Last edited by Aequitas; 12-21-2008 at 13:43. Reason: Edit done to say something about the 18Es
Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:51   #11
lssah2025
Asset

Thank you

Gentlemen, thank you for you insight and wisdom on this specific bag. It looks like I am going to give this a try, due to its size and because it is ultra user friendly. If it doesn't work out, then I guess I will have a great extra pack to mess with.

Aequitas: Sorry if I offended you in any way on the "operator", I just figured that there were more medical professionals on here and figured that would be a good blanket "word" to cover all.

Thanks again...

"Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved; and to be steady on all the battlefront besides is merely flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point". Martin Luther
lssah2025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:36   #12
Calrngr
Quiet Professional

Just my .02cents.

I (and most of the medics in my Company) run with an M9 bag & the TT First Responder Bag.

The TT carries quickly accessible trauma gear. And the M9 carries intervention stuff (chest tube, Fluids, more bandages etc).

As for the BVM. I was recommended to carry a ped BVM, because it is pretty hard to bag down an adult w/a ped BVM.
Calrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 00:20   #13
crash
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post

3) The bottom zipper portion is where we keep the p-less litter and IVs kits. I agree there is enough room for bvm, but you can fit that bad boy in the inner area. We usually role with 2 1L Iv kits in that bottom pouch though. BVMs are pretty prone to abuse and being condensed down to fit in small places.

**Forgot to mention** Our 18Es and CCTs liked this bag so much they stole three of our extras and modified them a little bit. Turns out that if you rip out all the velcro pieces and cut a small hole in the top of the bag....this thing will easily hold a radio and a few other various items. It fits perfectly. The 18Es also liked having the ability to fastex this thing on their kit b/c the weight of the radio was pulling their regular bag straps into their shoulders. They would run the cable out the bottom zipper from the inside to outside and attach the antenna onto the bag with zip ties where the molle attachment points are at. The X-wing actually fits without pushing over the top of the bag or sticking to far off the bag and body. This helped the 18Es streamline themselves a little bit better.
What are you using for a BVM and Pole less litter?
The pole less litter we have is basically the same as a talon little just with no pole and hand loops. Not that compact or easy to fold. I keep a few sam splints and iv kits (hespan) in the bottom pouch. not much room for my litter even with out the splints.

If you wouldn't mind I'd like to see a pic of how your 18E used the pack, I can imagine it, but seeing is always better.

I still love this pack, and some of the contractors I've worked with loved mine so much they all ordered them; another one of my guys acquired one -hopefully not from one of the contractors.

I even learned a few tricks from them; the best trick had nothing to do with the bag, other than it was in his kit. He made a chest seal using... -I just forgot what its called, used for attaching demo to doors and what not... anyway he cut the valve off a asherman and made his own out of this stuff because it sticks to anything..? Wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that and trying it out.

Has anyone use paracletes aid bag? Very similar to this one, I saw one once not sure if they where but he said he loved it for basically the same reasons as the m-9 bag, but the situation didn't allow for him to show me how it was set up, so I've never seen the inside, or even been ale to find pics of the inside....
Old 02-14-2009, 08:32   #14
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
...Has anyone use paracletes aid bag? Very similar to this one, I saw one once not sure if they where but he said he loved it for basically the same reasons as the m-9 bag, but the situation didn't allow for him to show me how it was set up, so I've never seen the inside, or even been ale to find pics of the inside....

I havent used one, only because I havent been able to talk Josh or Eric into letting me leave their store with it but I like the mesh pockets. Unless they have found someone to take it off their hands they have one at Grey Group on N Reilly.

Crip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAAB019-3.jpg (28.2 KB, 318 views)

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:07   #15
crash
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

double post...