Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 05-06-2008, 15:46   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The Adventure Challenge

Let’s think outside the box here with a bit of survival and science fiction. H.G. Wells, or alternative sci-fi. Maybe an older version of the modern day adventure race.

I am going to ask that we limit responses to people over the age of 21 with significant field time.

You are in the prime of your life. You are approached and an interesting proposition is made. No, not that one.

A time machine has been invented, and in 30 days, a volunteer is going to be sent back to 1700, to assist with the initial exploration of North America. The continent is largely unexplored, and Daniel Boone has not yet been born yet. The mission is to explore the new nation, and keep a record of your travels. Our volunteer will cross the North American continent from the east coast to the west, alone, and report the results. He must start from an existing 1700 East Coast port city, and must finish at a designated location on the Pacific coast of California, Oregon, or Washington. The explorer will take a digital camera, digital recorder, and a PDA to record the journey. A return time machine will meet him at his declared destination and will wait for 30 days from your predetermined arrival date. If he has not arrived by then, he will be presumed dead and the machine autopiloted back.

The journey must be completed solo. If you accept the challenge, you will be allowed to take as much modern gear as you can personally carry, underneath period dress or in appropriate period baggage, at least till you leave civilization. You will not be allowed to stagger out of the time machine and cache hundreds of pounds of your gear. Assume a maximum of 100 lbs. At least you will not arrive naked, and have to go steal clothes from a punk, biker, or male stripper, so be thankful. You must be able to carry it yourself, but you will be given some gold so that you can purchase any items locally that you need during your travels. You will be walking, except when you need to cross water obstacles.

For the successful completion of your journey, you will receive ten million dollars.

Can this be accomplished successfully?

Do you accept the challenge?

Where do you start?

What route do you take?

Where do you plan to finish?

How long do you think it will take you?

What is in your field gear?

What modern items are critical, and what items from the period will work for you?

What are your priorities?

How will you carry it?

What firearms will you take?

How much ammo, accessories, etc.?

What edged tools do you take?

What navigational aids do you take?

What do you think your odds are of successfully completing this journey?

What do you do in the 30 days before you leave?

Let’s think this one through as stated first, we can do branches and sequels later.

Thoughts?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 16:10   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

No resupply

Just to add on a bit, it was you walk out with 100 lbs of equipment.

Weight? Oz's turn into pounds and pounds into tons.

Every item selected will be judged against the number of tasks it can help you with vs it's weight.

The mountain men of the early 1800s very very good at making do with limited goods. A good book on Indian sign language?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 17:22   #3
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Lacking the requisite field time, I post here only to express my appreciation for creativity of this thread and my eagerness to read what I hope will be well thought-out and interesting responses.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 18:57   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Pete:

You are dead on the money.

100 lbs. is the maximum weight, and let me assure those of you short on rucking experience that you do not want to hump that very far or very fast.

Flexibility is one of the the keys to both survival and weight reduction.

I agree, the mountain men were excellent examples, especially those who travelled far and wide.

The ability to communicate could be very important, as would small trade items.

In answer to a PM question, yes, you could take maps and a GPS, if you can keep it powered. You might want a compass as well, just in case.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 05-06-2008, 19:12   #5
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Is the 100lb's all you can take for the whole trip, or is it 100lb's of modern equipment? Once you got to the 1700's could you pick up some more gear from that time? Would you be able to get a horse, or have to hump the whole way? Trying to set the ground rules.

I think I would leave the GPS at home. LMFAO But a PDA with maps for the entire country in it and light weight solar rechargers would work. Plus within the 30 day's before I left I would learn how to figure out my location on the earth by using the stars (not sure what it's called) just like the sailor's used to. That way I would be able to use the maps on the PDA.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 19:27   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Tab View Post
Is the 100lb's all you can take for the whole trip, or is it 100lb's of modern equipment? Once you got to the 1700's could you pick up some more gear from that time? Would you be able to get a horse, or have to hump the whole way? Trying to set the ground rules.

I think I would leave the GPS at home. LMFAO But a PDA with maps for the entire country in it and light weight solar rechargers would work. Plus within the 30 day's before I left I would learn how to figure out my location on the earth by using the stars (not sure what it's called) just like the sailor's used to. That way I would be able to use the maps on the PDA.
Max:

I do not personally think that you would want to hump more than 100 pounds for 3,000 miles, but if you want to try it, sure.

Quote:
You must be able to carry it yourself, but you will be given some gold so that you can purchase any items locally that you need during your travels. You will be walking...
"Walking" and "carrying" the gear would pretty much mean no pack animals this trip.

Hence this line:

Quote:
Let’s think this one through as stated first, we can do branches and sequels later.
I would not trust my future to any single battery powered device, but I agree on that possible use for the PDA, as long as I had hard copies of the maps and a compass.

I look forward to your input.

TR

Old 05-06-2008, 19:39   #7
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I love the idea of a GPS in 1700. When was the first constellation launched? Somebody needs to think a little harder. Nice challenge though. I favor the mountain man equipment approach and the Corps of Discovery route. Harder to get lost that way, after all they didn't have a clue either. Being a lazy b*****d, I'd much rather follow (paddle) the water routes than walk the entire distance. Blast match, 'hawk & bowie, quality boots, compass, water bottle, cook pot, tarp, long bow & arrows, quality pack, fishing gear, multivitamins, small med kit, trade goods, and a "one over the world" blood chit style map. Most of the items have already been discussed in detail in the various survival threads. Oh - 18 months, Boston (or maybe New York) to Astoria. It shouldn't take that long but I'm lazy and the fishing might be decent enroute.

ETA: Forgot to include my G-shock - wouldn't want to lose track of the pick-up time.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 20:22   #8
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

This is off the top of my head I'll think about it some more and add to it at a later time

M-4 w/ ACOG 400 rds of lemas

Glock19 (3 x mags’ 1 box of 50) 95 rd

2 x Compass

Pvs 15’s w/ head mount

Light weight solar panels

Rechargeable AA’s X 20 with recharger (plugs into solar panel)

PDA loaded with map data (detailed map data covering the entire United States. Down to 1:50,000), survival data (extreme detail on edible plants, medicinal plants, building structures, snares, location of water, basically any survival tip you would need for each different region of the United States),

CLOTHING

Mountaineering boots (broken in)
7 pr heavy duty socks
2 x hiking pants
2 x wic away t- shirts
1 x silk weight top bottom
1 x fleece pullover
1 x shell top and bottom
1 x fleece pants
1 x pullover down jacket
2 x fleece gloves
1 pr trigger finger mittens

SURVIVAL GEAR

Lightweight axe
Small saw
4 cigarette lighters
fire starting kit
gerber
hunting knife
survival book
small map book of the US
2 x camel backs
Poncho
2man ten
6 bunji cords
150ft 550 cord
survival fishing kit

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 20:44   #9
x-factor
Guerrilla

1) This may be a little out there, but is there anything to the idea of carrying a man-portable UAV? I think you could drastically increase the amount of ground surveyed and decrease the amount of foot mileage.

2) In the same vein, maybe I've seen too much Star Trek, but is anyone considering the temporal ethics factor? By that I mean, are we taking precautions not to pollute the timeline by introducing modern technology to the people of the period (being seen with it, losing it, discarding it, having it stolen, etc)? Carrying a laptop and a tricked out M-4 might not be allowed by the time travel commission.

For that matter, what about human terrain issues? Are you going to be allowed to interact with locals? To trade? Or is this strictly a covert survey?

EDIT: I reread TR's originally post and the Time Travel Commission does allow the gear and interaction, but I wonder if they wouldn't place other "temporal rules of engagement" on you as well to protect the timeline from pollution.

X

Last edited by x-factor; 05-06-2008 at 20:58.
x-factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 21:42   #10
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

What specific regions or objects need surveyed on this mission?
I am assuming there is something of great importance to be recorded since this is a trip back in time with an abundance of information that is available currently. Are you interested in photographic evidence? Climate observations? Accurate census information? Flora/fauna? Recoverable items? Samples? Readings? Time line change?

If this is simply nature walk with a daily log of events through extremely difficult terrain among known indigenous peoples and more abundant wildlife.
Count me in with 100% probability of completion in 300 days. Start in the Spring.

I believe passing out of settled areas into displaced natives would be difficult so a complete history on continental U.S. natives is essential. I would prefer a path away from the Great Lakes region, tough crowd up there then and now.

A solid grasp of sign language would be critical.

.308 with 300rnds + 20GA with 300rnds
Hatchet 2 ea, Camp knife 20ea

I will post my extended kit list and route plan after further information on mission tasks.

Last edited by Go Devil; 05-06-2008 at 21:44. Reason: spelling
Go Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 22:03   #11
Pete S
Guerrilla

Can dogs be purchased/ bartered for to assist in hunting?

I would estimate about a 2 year expedition. Just so you don't have to hurry and if a harsh winter hits you can stop for a while.

It could be done without any modern equipment but It may possibly take longer then expected.
The most important thing to take with you would be knowledge. Knowledge of tool making, bow hunting, tanning, cordage making, flora and fauna, and friendly peoples along your route.
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 23:10   #12
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-factor View Post
1) This may be a little out there, but is there anything to the idea of carrying a man-portable UAV? I think you could drastically increase the amount of ground surveyed and decrease the amount of foot mileage.

2) In the same vein, maybe I've seen too much Star Trek, but is anyone considering the temporal ethics factor? By that I mean, are we taking precautions not to pollute the timeline by introducing modern technology to the people of the period (being seen with it, losing it, discarding it, having it stolen, etc)? Carrying a laptop and a tricked out M-4 might not be allowed by the time travel commission.

For that matter, what about human terrain issues? Are you going to be allowed to interact with locals? To trade? Or is this strictly a covert survey?

EDIT: I reread TR's originally post and the Time Travel Commission does allow the gear and interaction, but I wonder if they wouldn't place other "temporal rules of engagement" on you as well to protect the timeline from pollution.
Did you read the part about significant field time?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 00:31   #13
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Kirafu Extended Mission Ruck w/ XTL and a lot of various pockets for the outside.
Kirafu 20̊ Slickbag
¾ size foam sleeping pad
3 compasses
4 season 2 person tent
MSR Water purifier X3
MSR water purifier filters for above purifiers x24
MSR Blacklite Camp pot set
Backpack fishing pole and various tackle
Emergency blanket
Surefire L7
1 Glock 17 w/ 3 mags +100 additional 9mm LeMas rnds.
Surefire X300 w/ 20 CR123 rechargeable batteries
NVG monocular CR123 rechargeable compatible
Solar panel recharging panels (and hook ups for the above batteries)
1 M16A4 w/ 3 mags +300 additional 5.56 LeMas rnds.
Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x 56 scope with Larue mount
Field rifle/pistol cleaning kit
Leatherman
Harsey/Reeve Pacific knife
Reeve Skinner knife
Harsey T-3
Light weight camp axe
Field sharpening kit
Magnesium stick x2
Bic lighters x10
100 waterproof matches
Small saw
Poncho and Liner
Tevas/ river shoes
Mountaineering boots x2
Socks of various weights x8
Silk weight long underwear
Fleece pants
Sweat wicking t-shirt x3
Silk weight long underwear top
Fleece top
Hard shell top and bottom
Down jacket
Glove liners
Winter weight snowboarding gloves
Heavyweight mittens
Leather gloves
Laminated Hard copies of the following topics: maps 1:24,000 scale and all the other topics Max-Tab said.
Various plastic bags
First aid kit
300 ft 550 cord
100 ft of multipurpose nylon rope
Sewing kit
Salt, pepper, BIG bottle of Tabasco sauce
Multivitamins, antibiotics, and Motrin
Casio Pathfinder and G-shok
Sunglasses x2
camelback
Naglene bottle x2
Lots of Gold to barter with (on top of what is already given)

That should cover it. I might come back later and edit the list.

I plain to travel across the middle to lower states i.e. North Carolina, Tennessee, Northern Arkansas, Oklahoma, Northern New Mexico, Northern Arizona, and out by Los Angeles.

Time 2 years

Is it possible? Yes.

Could a modern day person be successful in the trip? Doubtful, it would take a very hardened and lucky individual to be successful in the trip. It be would an incredibly difficult journey to be done solo.

Oh, BTW when I told my wife about the scenario. She said she would take her phone, Ipod, debit card, and camera.......
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"

Last edited by Smokin Joe; 05-07-2008 at 12:31. Reason: to add stuff
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:41   #14
Kyobanim

Quote:
Oh, BTW when I told my wife about the scenario. She said she would take her phone, Ipod, debit card, and camera.......
What? no Tom Tom GPS with the fancy Help button on it?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:30   #15
Pete
Quiet Professional

Why a tent?

I would ask "Why a tent?"

A small 6x7 tarp of fire retardent material would weigh a lot less. 2 short 3' or 4' poles poles could be cut before heading out into the grasslands. I'd go for 6 light weight aluminium nail stakes, though. Hate whacking ground anchors.

1700 is an interesting time. The Spanish had a good handle on Mexico and the Southwest US and FL. Lots of missions scattered about. The French in NO and the British along the east coast. The French were working up towards the Great Lakes.

Other than that? Natives. They would have had limited, if any, exposure to European equipment, much less, what you would be carrying. Simple things would seem like magic. Could pass as a "medicine man" and get extra help?

While the backwoodsmen pushed over the Apps in the 1700s, the "mountainman" we think of was really a short period in our history from about the 1820s to around 1845s.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote