Old 11-04-2016, 07:32   #1
mtlampley
Asset

SOPC and SFAS-waiting periods

This question is hard to word but I will do my best:

I am curious as to how SOPC works. I have looked on the ATTARS website for SOPC class dates but it does not show any. When you know your SFAS class date, do you just attend SOPC right before SFAS with little-to-no waiting in between? That part is a tad bit fuzzy to me. Just to clarify also, I am currently an NG 11B going AD with an 18x contract. I leave for Airborne in a little over a week. The purpose of this question is just to try and piece together a rough timeline.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this question or provide any input.
mtlampley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:43   #2
glebo
Quiet Professional

When I get into work Monday, I'll try and found out for you.
Old 11-04-2016, 14:20   #3
Redwood
Asset

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but SOPC now goes by SFPC. Here is a link to the coming dates for SFPC along with the course number: https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/c...TIONING&phase=

From what I understand, 18x candidates may either go straight to SFAS from SFPC, or be placed on SFPC hold until Selection class slots become available.
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 18:06   #4
UpNorth
Asset

I went through a few months ago, but they were running SFAS classes every month at that point. I know they cut down the number of classes running per year since then, so things may be different now, but SOPC was 3 weeks followed by a week off to rest and stay loose before SFAS. You will be in student company at Bragg until they send you to SOPC. You could spend any number of days/weeks there waiting for a SOPC class to start.
We didn't know what our SFAS class date was until we got sent to SOPC. There were guys who were held back in student company for not meeting expectations. Some eventually got sent, some didn't. You are always being assessed whether you realize it or not and just going to SOPC doesn't mean you'll make it to SFAS either. I'll just say that we started student company with a lot and went to SFAS with a fraction of that. Good luck with everything and enjoy it. I made a mistake and was an IVW because of it, but I can't wait to go back. It was the best and worst time of my life so far. You'll understand what I mean eventually.........tie down your map case every way you possibly can.

Glebo- I believe your son was a DS of mine at Benning (based on your screen name and seeing a few other posts you have made). Good times.
UpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:17   #5
glebo
Quiet Professional

Why yes he is lol Our youngest also went through, however in a diff company and they kept eachother "entertained" to say the least. However, he's a 25N over in Korea now...

Yes, he sez he has xrays going through. It's a very rough job....way worse than a SWC instructor...
Old 11-06-2016, 09:24   #6
UpNorth
Asset

Your youngest showed up while I was there. I got to see some very interesting exchanges outside of the dining facility as our companies were forming up to leave. "The chronicles of private G*****" was our after meal entertainment lol.

Hats off to your oldest. He's a great DS.
UpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 15:10   #7
Mandalorian
Asset

My timeline was 4 weeks in Student Company, 3 weeks at SOPC/SFPC, a two-week break, then SFAS. As an 18X, if you get selected, you will come back to Student Company and wait to go to BLC or to start SFOC. My advice to you, if you get selected, is to take a few days to eat ice cream and recover... then start hitting the PT pretty hard again. A lot of guys think they've 'made it' after Selection, only to realize on day 1 of SFOC that the only thing they've made it to is the starting line of a marathon. Good luck, man!
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:10   #8
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Your youngest showed up while I was there. I got to see some very interesting exchanges outside of the dining facility as our companies were forming up to leave. "The chronicles of private G*****" was our after meal entertainment lol.

Hats off to your oldest. He's a great DS.
Thx, he's trying to do the right thing...
Old 11-07-2016, 08:09   #9
mtlampley
Asset

thanks guys for the information. For the guys that went thru SFPC, was it more of a training/teaching environment or a "selection" based environment?

Looking at those class dates I can somewhat piece together a timeline for training. As much I fret or try to do my own research, I know that once I report to GA that the Army will send me in the right direction. thanks again to everyone.
mtlampley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:48   #10
glebo
Quiet Professional

Didn't mean for it to take this long for a reply. Your wait time between SOPC and SFAS may be between 7-10 days. Pending on time of yr and how many they have on standby to go to selection. So, in other words, there no stead fast timeline...

Be flexible as they say....like gumby, or Stretch Armstrong...