Old 08-04-2010, 21:18   #1
jrhunger
Asset

The real 18A

Hello Gentleman,

I am currently torn between officer and enlisted, I have been reading on the forums for a while in order to educate myself on the operational distinctions. After reading around for a bit I've gotten the idea that the 18A basically just "tags along" and files paperwork. This seems unreasonable given the fact that he is the CO; but based on what I have read it sounds very much like the NCO does all the actual operational planning, and the rest of the ODA does the rest.

My questions to you are;

1) How much time, roughly, does an officer actually spend in the field before he gets promoted out of the field.

2) At what rank, generally, does an officer stop being a real operator in the field.

3) What does an officer REALLY do in an average ODA compared to his enlisted counterparts, and NCO.

4) How does his experience/training ultimately vary. E.g. is his shooting nearly as good, can he plan a raid well, does he understand how to create an explosive out of whatever given materials. I'm sure you get the idea.

If any of these questions were answered at a reasonable length before in another thread then I apologize that I didn't see it (though I did look). I know there are places that discuss 18A responsibilities but what I'm reading here tends to dispute most of those claims, so I would like to set things straight.

Thank you, I would appreciate any knowledge you can share.

-Jarek
Old 08-04-2010, 22:00   #2
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

The 18A is responsible for everything that does or does not happen on an ODA. He is expected to lead, mentor, plan, influence and shoot straight from the moment he steps on a team to the moment his team is ripped away from him.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol

Last edited by blue02hd; 08-05-2010 at 02:51.
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 23:35   #3
jrhunger
Asset

I'm sorry if I poorly worded what I meant when I said, "18A basically just "tags along" and files paperwork." What I intended by that was that, I have read frequently on this site that, that is there two primary jobs. I thought that seemed false, which is why I posted this. "This seems unreasonable given the fact that he is the CO; but based on what I have read it sounds very much like the NCO does all the actual operational planning, and the rest of the ODA does the rest."

I am sorry if I mis-interpreted what I read from others on the forum. I see that I clearly need to do more research than I have. I have already learned from your post, and I am grateful for your input. I will research any further questions better. Sorry for the mis-understanding, I will be better.

-Jarek
Old 08-05-2010, 06:39   #4
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhunger View Post
Hello Gentleman,
I am currently torn between officer and enlisted, I have been reading on the forums for a while in order to educate myself on the operational distinctions. After reading around for a bit I've gotten the idea that the 18A basically just "tags along" and files paperwork.
A good 18A never just "tags along"...he leads...he leads from the front and he leads in conjunction with the Team Sgt, who makes things happen.

Quote:
This seems unreasonable given the fact that he is the CO; but based on what I have read it sounds very much like the NCO does all the actual operational planning, and the rest of the ODA does the rest.
A well grounded 18A, realizes that he is the "new guy" on the team and tries to learn from his NCOs.

Quote:
My questions to you are;
1) How much time, roughly, does an officer actually spend in the field before he gets promoted out of the field.
A team leader usually gets between 18 months and 36 months on an ODA. If he's truly fortunate he may get more than one team.

Quote:
2) At what rank, generally, does an officer stop being a real operator in the field.
A Cpt is a Team Leader, a Maj is a Company Commander, a LtC is a Bn Commander, a Col is a Group Commander...define a "real operator."

Quote:
3) What does an officer REALLY do in an average ODA compared to his enlisted counterparts, and NCO.
You obviously haven't read enough.

Quote:
4) How does his experience/training ultimately vary. E.g. is his shooting nearly as good, can he plan a raid well, does he understand how to create an explosive out of whatever given materials. I'm sure you get the idea.
Review the answer above.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:53   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You have not read well enough, or searched enough. Your understanding of the 18A info is inaccurate. Your laziness is not a requirement for QPs to answer questions already addressed elsewhere. You want something to read? Search and read "A Message to Garcia".

Back to reading and do not start any more threads till you are ready to sign a contract. You are several years from that at age 17.

Everything you are asking has already been answered here, in detail. Use some initiative to find it.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 19:46   #6
jrhunger
Asset

Thank you all for you input. I will stop posting for a year or 2 if that is what you want.
Old 08-05-2010, 20:02   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thank you all for you input. I will stop posting for a year or 2 if that is what you want.
You are 17 years old, and need to wait a few years before worrying about what you want to try and become.

Work on your grades, be a kid, enjoy life.

Your SA is poor, you have insulted the 18As here already, you might want to stop creating new threads or posting further until you get a feel for the site, do some reading, and have an original question to ask. Unless you have read all of the relevant threads already.

What was the lesson of the reading I asked you to do, BTW?

If these sort of new threads from our new members continue, we can raise the minimum age to post to 18 and increase the wait to post to a week or more.

Whatever it takes to stop the pain and ignorance.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 08-06-2010, 01:40   #8
jrhunger
Asset

Sirs,

I would like to formally apologize for anyone I may have insulted, I mis-interpreted what I read and I am sorry.

The lesson from "A Message to Garcia" is the value of someone who will accomplish difficult tasks without objecting, asking questions, or requesting help.

That article was eye opening, thank you very much for showing me that. I see the error in my ways. I will only ask questions if it is truly necessary (there is no information on it on the forum or on the internet) in which case I assume it would be welcomed, as it is a legitimate, valid question; and one that others may be wondering about as well.

Again, thank you.

-Jarek
Old 08-06-2010, 07:32   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sirs,

I would like to formally apologize for anyone I may have insulted, I mis-interpreted what I read and I am sorry.

The lesson from "A Message to Garcia" is the value of someone who will accomplish difficult tasks without objecting, asking questions, or requesting help.

That article was eye opening, thank you very much for showing me that. I see the error in my ways. I will only ask questions if it is truly necessary (there is no information on it on the forum or on the internet) in which case I assume it would be welcomed, as it is a legitimate, valid question; and one that others may be wondering about as well.

Again, thank you.

-Jarek
Jarek:

Now you get it.

Well said.

TR

Old 08-12-2010, 16:01   #10
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Study hard young Jedi.
Much to learn you have.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote