Old 02-15-2008, 09:26   #31
Pete
Quiet Professional

Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik View Post
I also got selected in class 02-08. We probably had the worst weather in North Carolina history. Just about everyone had chilblain for a week after the freezing rain and snow during land nav but it was fun overall.
Grasshopper you know not of what you speak. We have not had any bad weather yet this winter. That area has had a foot of snow more than once which troops were out there.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:53   #32
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Grasshopper you know not of what you speak. We have not had any bad weather yet this winter. That area has had a foot of snow more than once which troops were out there.
Amen.

And students injured when ice laden trees fell on them. The same storm knocked out the power at CMK so that there was no heat, hot water, or DFAC. "Here are your MRE's, men. Take care and try to stay warm."

Last summer, the temp at the Camp topped 108 three days in a row.

You were only there for 14 days, and have not seen bad weather yet. Wait till Phase II, when you are there long enough to live in the tents and appreciate it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:20   #33
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I also got selected in class 02-08. We probably had the worst weather in North Carolina history. Just about everyone had chilblain for a week after the freezing rain and snow during land nav but it was fun overall.
We ordered that weather for your selection process, it assists in separating the men from the boys.

(When you break the ice on Drowning Creek inorder to swim across let me know.)

Team Sergeant
Old 02-15-2008, 12:11   #34
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Amen.

And students injured when ice laden trees fell on them. The same storm knocked out the power at CMK so that there was no heat, hot water, or DFAC. "Here are your MRE's, men. Take care and try to stay warm."

You were only there for 14 days, and have not seen bad weather yet. Wait till Phase II, when you are there long enough to live in the tents and appreciate it.

TR
TR,

I remember that summer very well. I was in Pineland during that time, and I think they said it was 4 to 5 days of 105+ degrees. Needless to say, I drank a lot of water...until I could remember what water tasted like.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash
sleepyhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 17:22   #35
Reload
Asset

Congradulations kinetik you stud!!!

Looks like you were in the last hard class!!!
Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:32   #36
deanwells
Quiet Professional

Good luck gents.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:45   #37
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I was there in FEB 1980; I thought the ice storms were ordered up to enhance the morning ruck marches. Any one remember getting caught in the rear with a 60 in that mess? Only had to bang the gates once... We also had more than a foot of snow during patrolling; we ended up humping back to CMC. They were able to get us back to Bragg three days later; we hit the weapons pool around 1800 and were released after 2400. The first day of phase two they could not keep us awake during IMC, sent us back to get some sleep. The calendar says that was a long time ago, some stuff still seems like yesterday.

Congrads to those selected, I am mentoring a young Soldier who should get there this summer, this site is pure gold.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 13:10   #38
jbour13
Area Commander

Quote:

They gave me french and 18B. CLT is up next.
Not being SF but having my fair share of poop for weather, it gets far worse. If and when you make it to the end of your training, you'll get to experience other fun places like the mountains of Afghanistan (also has some nice hot weather throughout the theater of ops) and our most recent vacation hot spot Iraq.

Yes it's cold, and it'll definately be hot. But there is always something worse. I'm humble and know I've got it good. Hmmm words have been posted before......goes a little like "Embrace the suck!!!"

Congrats to all for making it from that 50m target to the next..

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:20   #39
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Amen.

TR
I believe that was the selection class of Aug-Sept, if I am correct that was during my land nav portion of SFAS and I can say it was hot as hell( and I grow up in Phoenix). And when you tell your self it cant get worse it does
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 19:16   #40
KSC
SF Candidate

Another one

I was selected back in 02-08, haven't been online much since. Just returned from CLT last Friday. It's the recurring theme on the board not to take any part of training lightly, the same holds true for CLT. Everybody felt it, some folks got hammered- don't slack off after SFAS!
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:01   #41
shortbrownguy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead4 View Post
TR,

I remember that summer very well. I was in Pineland during that time, and I think they said it was 4 to 5 days of 105+ degrees. Needless to say, I drank a lot of water...until I could remember what water tasted like.
Amen Brother. I had a couple of "come to Jesus" meetings during infil due to the heat. Nothing a jump in the river didn't fix.
shortbrownguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 21:01   #42
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbrownguy View Post
Amen Brother. I had a couple of "come to Jesus" meetings during infil due to the heat. Nothing a jump in the river didn't fix.
Some of our classmates during Phase II just graduated and some are going to start Sage soon. Wish them luck.

Also, do you remember CPT Joe (Team Leader for the Russian team)? He made it through Ranger School true blue.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash
sleepyhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 15:57   #43
RedBaron
SF Candidate

Thank You

Humbly I thank those that are patient enough to run this site and guide in those that have no true experience-based understanding of what they are about to enter. I attended, and was selected at, SFAS class 05-08. To any cadre that are members on this site, thank you for the patience and example. I have to deploy before entering the "Q"; I look forward to the next opportunity to "grow up".
RedBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 17:51   #44
Gypsy
Area Commander

Congrats!
Old 08-12-2008, 20:51   #45
PinelandVet66
Quiet Professional

Godspeed on the deployment Red Baron. The Q will be waiting. And remember your Rep started the day you went to selection. Keep your shot group tight.
PinelandVet66 is offline   Reply With Quote