Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-30-2007, 00:34   #31
Pete S
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Are there any opinions on comfort/effectiveness/durability of the non-Oakley ballistic sunglasses you find in the PX (Revision Sawflys, ESS Flybys/Recons, the Wiley-X line)?
I have used the Oakley M-frames, ESS M-frames, and Wiley-X's swimming goggles.

The Wiley-X's are uncomfortable but sturdy.
The ESS's are cheaply made, the nose piece breaks easily. But it is cheap to replace the lens, etc
The Oakleys are well made, but the nose piece falls of easily and replacing the parts can be somewhat pricey. I also didn't feel like the Oakleys were that secure to my face when I wore them.
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 00:28   #32
C0B2A
Quiet Professional

I list things in order of how many times i said to myself "thank God I brought this"

1. head-lamp
2. Laptop (Trend Micro Internet Security Pro installed)
3. Ipod ( I recommend the Nano because instead of the larger versions spinning hard drive that can not withstand drops and such, the Nano uses flash memory and can take one hell of a beating and keep the tunes coming
4. multi-tool ( I use the Gerber EOD tool)
5. Northface fleece
6. Mountain Hardware wind stopper fleece gloves (during winter months I can think of no better glove to ware gunning a Humvee)
7. A good pair of small headphones, I used the Bose in ear for the full year, great sounds and pretty durable, the only problem with them was the ear bud covers constantly fall off, so i final put a bit of super glue on the inside and they stayed on.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:22   #33
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Are there any opinions on comfort/effectiveness/durability of the non-Oakley ballistic sunglasses you find in the PX (Revision Sawflys, ESS Flybys/Recons, the Wiley-X line)?
Rudy Project Rydon Tactical glasses (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/produc...s/tactical.htm). They are light and very comfortable. The polarized photo-chromatic lenses got light enough to wear at night, but also got dark enough to be worn during the day. The frame is small enough that it will not terribly disrupt the seal of your Sordins or Peltors, a quality I found admirable during long helo flights. The lenses did not show any scratches during my first deployment, despite usually just being hung off the outside of my chest rig when not in use. When they finally got pretty scratched up halfway through my second deployment, I took advantage of their warranty and got new lenses shipped straight to my APO. The downside is they are expensive and ugly as hell.

Other gear:
Patagonia R4 fleece with Gore Windstopper and Patagonia wool baselayers.
Who have dared for a high cause to suffer, resist, fight—if need be, to die.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:32   #34
Intel_Airman
Guerrilla

Here's the items that I have right now that make Iraq a little better.

1) XGO shirts and boxers - I'm a fan of Underarmour; but if I ever end up in a burning vehicle I don't want it to be melted to my skin. The XGO line is comfortable and fire retardent.

2) Silver infused socks - Last deployment; towards the end my feet were sweating bad and I was in my boots for 18 hours a day. I ended up with some nasty athletes foot. This time around I've used socks infused with silver that are antimicrobial. So far, my feet are perfect; even when I end up in them for extended periods of time.

3) Oakley SI Half Jackets w/interchangeable lenses - The most comfortable ballistic glasses I have. I also have some ESS CDI's, but they tend to slide off my head. With both I keep the clear lenses on me, because it only took one daytime op that turned to night for me to realize i needed them. The rose lenses are great for overcast.

4) Protein shakers - I don't understand why the PX never has them; they sell protein and no shakers! Mixing powder in cut off water bottles or MRE liquid bags is a pain in the ass.

5) Lifting straps - You can't find these in theatre either.

5) Skull-Candy earbuds- Great quality earbuds for $30 bucks. You can't even hear the noise on a C-17 with them in and your IPOD on half volume.

6) 4 Gig Thumb Drive- Hey, those morale drives on the bigger bases have a lot of good movies; why not transfer them to your external hard drive?

7) External Hard Drive - Like I said, there is a lot of movies and music floating around in theatre, add it to your collection. The size is up to you. I have a 325Gig Western Digital book size drive. I'm not even close to filling it up.

8) Small Pelican cases - I keep my Samsung NV11 in one (if you're looking for a really nice small digitcal camera, check it out). They are also great for those thumb drives, ipods, cell phones, or other expensive electronic items that need to be kept away from the elements.

10) Gerber Multi Tool

These items have made life a lot better for me over here. Has anyone used a solar powered charger for their electronic items? I saw them on a website for a couple hundred bucks, that would be handy from time to time.
Old 01-11-2008, 21:43   #35
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Stuff to bring.....

1. P-cord. Always comes in handy.
2. Ponchos. Never worn them, but with the p-cord, can be used to set up dividers in the tents.
3. Gerber/Leatherman.
4. Extension cords!! Seems that a 10 foot one will do the job.
5. Duct tape
6. Zip lock bags. Maybe two each of the large and small sizes.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:35   #36
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Edit: I had an Ipaq HP 1940 Pocket PC palm pilot that I could throw maps on and use as the C or E of my PACE plan. Plus it has a record capability, note taking capability, and Microsoft Office capable.
This I really like. I can see how it would be useful for a whole handful of things in a really small take along package.
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 14:06   #37
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

I'm halfway through a 12 month tour. Here's what I brought that hasn't been mentioned.

Gerber multicolored lens flashlight. When you are in a tent with 10 other guys using blue light keeps everyone happy at 3:00 AM.

The Gortex bivvy sack (issue) shell. I use it with my poncho liner & lightwight down Northface bag. In the summer I just used the poncho liner & bivvy sack.

MOLLE waist pack (issue). Straps to the top of my Kifaru XTL. Keeps my rain gear/cold weather parka handy.

Ipod shuffel 1 gig. I keep it in a pouch on my IBA.

iPAQ 2215 Pocket PC. This is my main support device. I have a 16 GB CF card and a 4 GN SD card in it. Docs go on the SD card, MP3 & movies go on the CF card. I have 3 batteries for the iPAQ, ac charger, and an USB charger.

US style 3 plug adapter. It seems that all the outlets are used everywhere you go; this lets you share an outlet with a buddy and get recharged without having to wait.

Small AM/FM radio that uses ear buds.

Sink plug 1.5", Every sink in Iraq is missing the plug. Having your own lets you fill up the sink with water to shave or sponge bath. Linnens & Things sells a nice one for $2.99.

Coming back from R&R I brought back a Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance SP with a bunch of classic games. Should have brought it with from the get go. Note: Nintendo AC adapters are 110v only, get a universal 110-240v generic charger off of eBay.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07 digital camera. Uses SDHC cards and I got an 8 gig card for it. Never run out of space!

Thumb drives are fine for unclass NIPR stuff but you can only use gov't drives that are issued to you for SIPR stuff. That's the rule within MNSTC-I. MNF-I, MNC-I and CJSOTF might have different rules but from what I have seen, no personal thumb drives for SIPR.
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:50   #38
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Also,

I brought four Outdoor Research Hydrolite Dry Sacks™ stuff bags. Highly recommended.

To keeps bugs away I brought Outdoor Research Bug Bivy™. Good stuff!

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/bug_bivy.html
De Oppresso Liber
Old 02-27-2008, 18:48   #39
PepperDog
Asset

Question

Good stuff all around. I know it hasn't been all that long since the last post in this thread and I was hoping for a little renewed interest. I'm leaving for Afghanistan in the near future for a year tour on one of the civilian contracts (try not to hold it against me).

I would have never thought about alot of the creature comforts mentioned and now I have a shopping list as long as my arm. It's been about 10 years since I deployed anywhere and I (almost) feel that I'm wholly unprepared for the trip as far as the little things are concerened.

I'm just prodding to see if anyone has any other ideas or just advice in general. I'm an open book and I've been poking around the site for awhile picking up great info. Hope I'm not bein' a pain or otherwise over stepping my bounds.
PepperDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41   #40
Cold Steel
Asset

PepperDog,

If you are heading to Afghanistan I suggest that you pick up a Gator Neck to cover your nose and mouth if you plan to be on the road. You will be hitting dust season soon (for the next 10 months) and it gets pretty bad.
it plucks the tiger’s eyes out with its claws.
To stop the stone the shepherd might throw down
to crush its head, the viper bites, and lives.’” --from Saadi’s Gulistan
Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:44   #41
PepperDog
Asset

Good tip, I appreciate it. Sounds like I'll be on the road quite a bit...
Old 02-28-2008, 13:48   #42
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

PepperDog,

It gets really cold in A-Stan in the winter and they get lots of snow. A bit different than Iraq. Our 06 was stranded for week in A-Stan due to snow at the end of Jan this year. Bring long underwear; we got issued two sets of thin long johns; very usefull. Think Wisconsin winters!

Good luck on your tour!
De Oppresso Liber
Old 02-28-2008, 14:08   #43
PepperDog
Asset

Man, you guys are awesome. Thanks, I'll keep updating the list. My first paycheck'll be gone before I get feet on the ground!
Old 03-05-2008, 16:45   #44
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

PepperDog,

I assume you will be going through Ft. Benning CRC.

As a contractor you will be allowed two duffebags and a carry-on. That's it.

Also, you HAVE to be in the Contractor Verification System. If not they will not let you deploy. My CRC roommate was turned back becaues his company had failed to get him into CVS.

https://www.infantry.army.mil/CRC/

The bedding here sucks. You will need an extra set of sheets and a good pillow. My wife just sent me a matrass pad. I should have gotten one sooner. Some of the matrasses I've seen here look like they were bought second-hand from a Bangkok whore house. The pillows are like burlap bags of gravel. It's hit or miss at the PX, mostly misses. Shop at Target/Wal-Mart and get what you like and ship them to yourself.

Since you are limited to two duffel bags, I'd pack a couple of boxes of stuff you want to bring but can live without for a couple of weeks and mail it to your APO address. If you don't know exactly where you will be living, have your family mail them to you when you get in country.

Will you have a weapon?
De Oppresso Liber
Old 03-05-2008, 17:03   #45
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Afghanistan gets freezing cold in the winter so prepare for that. I'd bring some really good boots with removable snow spikes if case you have to walk around. I remember dismounting and falling on my ass while trying to pull security due to all the black ice.

It's' also very muddy when it rains, dusty when it's dry and hot in the summer.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote