Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 11-23-2014, 14:50   #16
ic2d
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
I agree CA has a pretty good system
Now there's something you don't hear every day.
ic2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 16:35   #17
joshua20
SF Candidate

US will soon be mexico, and we will be border hopping into Canada
Old 11-23-2014, 16:47   #18
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua20 View Post
US will soon be mexico, and we will be border hopping into Canada
¿Y porque?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 18:07   #19
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Ypu have to show id and be on a registerd list to vote. Better than many other states. It is one thing they do right there.
I don't recall ever having to show ID to vote. The the CA Secretary of State's (cached) website:

Quote:
Will I need to bring identification?

In most cases, California voters are not required to show identification at their polling place. However, it is a good idea to bring identification with you when you vote for the first time. A poll worker may ask to see your identification if you mailed your voter registration application and did not include your driver license number, California identification number, or the last four digits of your Social Security number.

A copy of a recent utility bill, the sample ballot booklet you received from your county elections office, or another document sent to you by a government agency are examples of acceptable forms of identification. Other examples include your passport, driver license, official California identification card, or student identification card.

For more information on identification to use when you vote for the first time check the complete list or call the Secretary of State's toll-free voter hotline at (800) 345-VOTE (8683).
The link is to the cached site because their site is down at the moment: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 19:42   #20
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I don't recall ever having to show ID to vote. Pat
I was required to show a picture ID to vote here in Sacramento County 3 weeks ago and so was everyone else I saw come in to vote while I was in the polling place.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 19:51   #21
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I was required to show a picture ID to vote here in Sacramento County 3 weeks ago and so was everyone else I saw come in to vote while I was in the polling place.

Richard
I lived in L.A. county. Whole different game there. I asked once if I needed ID and was told, "No." Then they asked which party and I said, "Reptilian". They just glared at me. TSA agents I reckon.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 11-24-2014, 08:46   #22
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I lived in L.A. county. Whole different game there. I asked once if I needed ID and was told, "No." Then they asked which party and I said, "Reptilian". They just glared at me. TSA agents I reckon.

Pat
Hmmm ...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brain.jpg (14.4 KB, 44 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:36   #23
craigepo
Quiet Professional

You might not believe this, but even Saturday Night Live is having fun at the President's expense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUDSeb2zHQ0

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:30   #24
NF_NYC
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
You might not believe this, but even Saturday Night Live is having fun at the President's expense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUDSeb2zHQ0
Yeah, that was a good one. SNL's usually left-leaning on politics but they'll bash Obama once if they've got a good idea. Here's a hard-to-find skit from 10/2009, his first year:

http://vimeo.com/6966475

SNL is too PC now so it's rare that we get anything great.
NF_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 13:44   #25
KingRichards
Asset

Good afternoon guys, I just wanted to drop in and lend my two cents.

To start, I would just like to state and make clear that I do not have the benefit of years to give me perspective on this issue, but it concerns me and interests me none the less.

So lets take the fact that our president is ignoring his oath of office and refusing to uphold established law and thereby breaking the law himself, and set it aside. Do you not think that there is a problem with our immigration system as it is? What I mean by that is the simple fact that it costs more money to complete the process to immigrate than most middle class families have in cash after taxes/bills at the end of the year (roughly $10,000 if you don't have to repeat steps in the process) and we expect people in rural Latin America to abide by this process and emigrate to the U.S. legally? Now, as I have said before, I don't have any real perspective to base a solution on (hell I don't even live near the border), but I'm curious as to what you guys would suggest as a solution to this problem, god knows our dysfunctional government can't find one.

Richards
KingRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 14:03   #26
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichards View Post
What I mean by that is the simple fact that it costs more money to complete the process to immigrate than most middle class families have in cash after taxes/bills at the end of the year
Richards
Please cite your source for this statement.

Simple answer to your very complicated question:

1) Close the borders. Seal them. Every other country in the world that wants to close their border does, why can't we if we are the best? It's because what they call countries, we call states. What they call a union we call a country. Let the states that border the exterior of the country close their own external borders while leaving the internal ones open. Take the power from the federal government and give it to the states. Let the feds help fund it if needed, but let the states decide how to police their own borders.

2) anyone found here that is here illegally gets deported, no exceptions. The only trial should be the determination of whether they are here illegally. Forget the feel good crap, they are here in violation of the law. Send them back as we find them.

3) Divert all of the resources (money and people) currently being used to help illegals to one of two places. One, securing the border, two expediting the legal immigration process.

I used to believe in a pathway to citizenship (after securing the border). I now realize the pathway already exists. It's the immigration system.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 14:26   #27
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Good afternoon guys, I just wanted to drop in and lend my two cents.

To start, I would just like to state and make clear that I do not have the benefit of years to give me perspective on this issue, but it concerns me and interests me none the less.

So lets take the fact that our president is ignoring his oath of office and refusing to uphold established law and thereby breaking the law himself, and set it aside. Do you not think that there is a problem with our immigration system as it is? What I mean by that is the simple fact that it costs more money to complete the process to immigrate than most middle class families have in cash after taxes/bills at the end of the year (roughly $10,000 if you don't have to repeat steps in the process) and we expect people in rural Latin America to abide by this process and emigrate to the U.S. legally? Now, as I have said before, I don't have any real perspective to base a solution on (hell I don't even live near the border), but I'm curious as to what you guys would suggest as a solution to this problem, god knows our dysfunctional government can't find one.

Richards
People from Central and South America, and all around the globe, apply and receive permission to legally immigrate to the United States every day.

Most of those eventually go through the process to become U.S. citizens.

If you need more immigrants, you loosen the requirements for the ones you want. Too many, and you raise standards and accept fewer applicants.

Should you need ten million farm workers, you allow more to immigrate on short term visas, unless you expect a long-term requirement. Then you create long-term solutions for legal immigration. Overpopulation, excessive crime, unemployment, poverty, or political expediency should not be excuses for violating our international borders.

Those who break the law, overstay or otherwise violate their visa conditions are incarcerated or deported with severe limitations on their ability to return.

Nation states erect security devices and control measures to control their borders, and thus, secure their borders for a number of purposes, to include immigration. This is accepted in law and in international norms. Given the events of 9/11 through today, and the status of the conspirators who have attacked us, this should be a priority.

That is the way it works in most civilized countries in the world.

Why is it wrong?

There is not, as of yet, a North American state with free movement across the current international borders.

Nor should there be.

Secure our borders. Enforce the law (the ones passed according to the U.S. Constitution, not the ones the POTUS unilaterally creates). Defend our sovereignty. Reform legal immigration and pass new laws to codify it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 14:48   #28
PSM
Area Commander

Obama supports Mexican racism.

In Mexico, racism hides in plain view

By Ruben Navarrette Jr., CNN Contributor
updated 11:01 AM EST, Tue November 20, 2012:

Quote:
The enduring taboo subject [in Mexico] is skin color, whether an individual's complexion betrays an allegiance to the Spanish who conquered the Aztec empire in 1521 or the Aztecs who were conquered. It's no exaggeration to say that, in this country and especially in [Mexico City], the best, highest-paying, most important jobs often seem to go to those who, in addition to having the best education and the strongest connections, have the lightest skin.

On television, in politics and in academia, you see light-skinned people. On construction sites, in police forces and in restaurant kitchens, you're more likely to find those who are dark-skinned. In the priciest neighborhoods, the homeowners have light skin, and the housekeepers are dark. Everyone knows this, and yet no one talks about it, at least not in elite circles.

Nor do Mexicans seem all that eager to discuss the larger dynamic that race feeds into: the fact that this is, and has always been, a country of deep divisions. In the 100 years since the Mexican Revolution, one part of Mexico has often been at war with another: urban vs. rural, rich vs. poor and, yes, dark-skinned vs. light-skinned.

It's one reason that institutions such as the economy, the political system and the social structure haven't matured as quickly as they should have, given Mexico's advantages.

This country of 120 million people has ports, highways, airports and skyscrapers. It takes in billions of dollars every year in revenues from oil and natural gas, and billions more from tourism and remittances from Mexican migrants living abroad. Mexico's economy is growing faster than the U.S. economy, and investments are flowing in from Asia and Europe. It's consistently within the top three of trading partners for the United States. But what good is all that when only a small number of the population can live up to their full potential? Prejudice kills progress.

The hour is late. It's time for Mexico to confront the color line and free itself of its past. Or it won't have much of a future.

Full commentary: http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/20/opinio...mexico-racism/
Obama is helping Mexico rid itself of it's dark-skinned population. How loud would he howl if it was, say, Canada.?

Pat

Old 11-24-2014, 15:43   #29
MR2
Quiet Professional

With regard to deportations. All those found to be here illegally shall be sentenced to 90 days labor for the first violation, 180 days for the second, 360 for the third and so on. Sentence will be served manually cleaning fish at a new Prudo Bay, AK cannery (situated so they can see Russia). Those with minors will serve the children's sentences. Those that have violated any other laws, will be adjudicated and serve sentences cleaning fish concurrently.

Facilities will be gulag cold or Arizona tent city hot as further disincentives.

Incentive to self-deport, disincentive to return.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 17:05   #30
ic2d
Asset

Quote:
I'm curious as to what you guys would suggest as a solution to this problem, god knows our dysfunctional government can't find one.
And yet that is the job for which they campaigned. I expect my leaders to solve problems, not change the rules at their leisure.

A close friend of mine married a girl from Brazil. I don't recall the time nor expense required for her permanent residency application, except to say that they were not trivial. But the really sad part is that it took well over a year for her parents' visas to be approved so that they could come visit their grandson.

Turns out, all they had to do was walk across the border unannounced and be welcomed with open arms. Why does the discussion always revolve around making life easier for those who have already broken the law? Why are our leaders not instead discussing ways to ease the burden of LEGAL immigration? Perhaps they are and I am simply mis-/uninformed...I doubt it.

(KingRichards - my questions are largely rhetorical and are not directed at you personally; I merely used your comment as a baseline for my response.)
ic2d is offline   Reply With Quote