Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 10-15-2014, 20:58   #16
Lan
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Aahhh, the ol' Congress is all f'ed up! Except for MY congressman.

News flash! They are all f'ed up, even mine. Fire the whole lot.

We should fire them all, but how do we replace them with honest people who have the best interest of their constituents in mind?

Until that question is answered, I will continue voting for the guy who makes sure the things I am passionate about are protected. If our district's conservatives allow themselves to get ethered up on the change the moderate Republican challenger promises us, we'll get screwed at the local level like we did nationally in 08.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:04   #17
Marlboro
Asset

You guys are crazy. You don't even seem to understand that every individual that has the title -- "Quiet Professional" on here is a political goldmine. This is what I dislike about a lot of folks, they don't see the best way to change the system, is be the system.

Don't like the education system? Run for school board.

Don't like allocation of resources in your town? Run for mayor/city council/alderman.

Come on guys, you've spent your entire career watching you & your buddies 6, and thinking on the fly. What you take for granted, MOST of the folks running pay a team for.

I'm so tired of having half the armed services committee having never served, and a congress that doesn't want to give pay raises to the troops.

I'm just saying...

Marlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:34   #18
Pete
Quiet Professional

And the political office.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro View Post
....This is what I dislike about a lot of folks, they don't see the best way to change the system, is be the system. ......
And the political office you hold is .......
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:02   #19
Marlboro
Asset

I normally keep people from achieving political office.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:42   #20
Pete
Quiet Professional

So

Quote:
I normally keep people from achieving political office.
So you're not doing what you're chastising us for not doing?

Is your 20 year plan to become some Senator's Dog Robber or a political consultant?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 15:17   #21
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
If you want to be a conservative, vote your principles in the primaries. Hold your nose and vote party line in the general elections...
Completed. It left me with a warm fuzzy feeling

Edit: If it helps, I voted early at county election office, it could not have been easier.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 10-21-2014 at 23:17.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 22:00   #22
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
You guys are crazy. You don't even seem to understand that every individual that has the title -- "Quiet Professional" on here is a political goldmine. This is what I dislike about a lot of folks, they don't see the best way to change the system, is be the system.

Don't like the education system? Run for school board.

Don't like allocation of resources in your town? Run for mayor/city council/alderman.

Come on guys, you've spent your entire career watching you & your buddies 6, and thinking on the fly. What you take for granted, MOST of the folks running pay a team for.

I'm so tired of having half the armed services committee having never served, and a congress that doesn't want to give pay raises to the troops.

I'm just saying...

BINGO! Thank you.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 22:08   #23
MR2
Quiet Professional

What I've learned about political TV ads is:

Only 5% are effective enough to significantly change votes enough to make a difference.
Or they help boost name recognition (early in the campaign).

All the others just:

Give political fodder to the opposition.
Infuse money into the local economy.
Steal money from more effective political activity.

Edit: TV is also great for a last minute smear - but usually doesn't change any votes.
Radio is most effective in getting out last minute smears/corrections.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil

Last edited by MR2; 10-21-2014 at 23:27.
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:33   #24
Sdiver
Area Commander

Nope ... no voter fraud here in Colorado ... nothing to see here .... move along ...

http://coloradopeakpolitics.com/2014...g-voter-fraud/

Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 16:03   #25
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
It was ironic that when I registered yesterday, I had to come up with several forms of ID, proof of a residence address and indicate where I was last registered to vote...but to vote all you need is a ballot that is mailed out to everyone registered. So if you get, find, steal a ballot you get one vote per ballot no matter who you are I got raised eye brows when I asked about the ballots going to assisted living and nursing facilities...imagine. So they do a good job on the front end but only a signature authentication for the vote/ballot. Try verifying signatures on an envelope to each vote on an anonymous ballot...another case of disappearing evidence?

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:55   #26
Badger52
Area Commander

Other than the contest for governor and a state assembly race the rather 'quiet' race going on is an effort to unseat an 18-yr tick from the Washington DC dog. Rep. Ron Kind is being challenged by retired Cobra & AH-64 driver Tony Kurtz. Kind has been in long enough that his large funding from pharmaceutical companies and insurance & health-care conglomerates is well documented. General take from alot of folks is that "he's a nice guy" but is a poster boy for term limits, saying one thing during home visit town-halls and voting his party line when he gets back to the District Cesspool out east. Shocking.

Locally we're still using Sharpies for an optical scanner (manual labor required) and not those pesky "mis-calibrated" touch-screens.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 18:26   #27
Marlboro
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
What I've learned about political TV ads is:

Only 5% are effective enough to significantly change votes enough to make a difference.
Or they help boost name recognition (early in the campaign).

All the others just:

Give political fodder to the opposition.
Infuse money into the local economy.
Steal money from more effective political activity.

Edit: TV is also great for a last minute smear - but usually doesn't change any votes.
Radio is most effective in getting out last minute smears/corrections.
Fascinating take.. Multiple studies claim: "Negativity is remembered, positive messages are forgotten." In modern politics, the segmentation of the population now means almost every message is A/B tested for your specific area. They'll run one ad on broadcast, another on cable. The prevailing theory these days is -- "if you're defending yourself, you're not moving forward." This political hypothesis means: if you're down in the polls, run a bonzai attack of negativity.

Currently, the thievery isn't as much on broadcast, as it is digital. They've turned online generated content into a goldmine for consultants. Recently, you may have seen a few articles about Harris Media out of Texas, and Ruffini at Engage, in DC. These guys charge a arm and a leg to produce mailers, graphics, websites, digital ad buys (Facebook, and rarely twitter). They currently have a battle going on with field, and Tv ad buyers. Radio, is almost long forgotten on the political trail. The original of the segmentation, and the forerunner of everything in politics today has made a dramatic reemergence into the political realm. Thank you MR2 for pointing out radio, it's so much cheaper than Tv, people often don't push it.
Old 10-23-2014, 19:08   #28
Lighthouse
Auxiliary

You guys really feel libertarian votes are wasted votes?
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 19:20   #29
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Absolutely.

Unless the contest is between the Libertarian and one other candidate, you are splitting the conservative vote and handing the election to the liberal.

If there is a Lib running against a single opponent, then I vote Lib every time.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 19:28   #30
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Statistically? Or as a personal moral palliative?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote