Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 01-31-2006, 19:31   #16
rossl
Asset

Almost since I can remember there were those who saw no need for 18Es to learn IMC. We fought hard to keep it (between 88 - 94) and sometime in the early 90s they decided to drop the skill from 15 wpm to 10 wpm. When they did this I knew that the end was near!

I really have mixed feelings about dropping IMC from the course. Of course, with today's technology there probably isn't any need to use IMC. But, I've always felt that someone who was in SF to start with should strive to be the best in whichever field they are in. For me, an 18E should have a working knowledge of ALL types of communication systems, from telephones, radios, (Yes, IMC), computers, etc. (Like the "G" chief I had in phase III at the SFQC. He took my mike and key away and told me I still had to make comms. He wanted us to learn to improvise).

The problem with this is how fast today's technology advances. For example, when I was in the 12th SFG we still used the AN/GRC-109 radio with the wind-up key burst device. (Of course, neither the 12th SFG nor the GRC-109 are in the system these days!). Later, once I returned to active duty and 10th SFGA it was the PRC-70 and DMDG. Since I've been retired for 11 years I have no idea what is being used today, but I'll bet it is "high tech."

At least I have a ham license and can work the morse bands on 80 and 40 meters.
rossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 16:40   #17
mustang
Asset

18E course shortrened

Its interesting to hear what you fellows are saying about the 18E course. I went through the old 05B course at Bragg in1963, IMC was our bread and butter back then. Its hard to believe they they are doing away with it, but then with all the new tech advances I guess it was bound to happen. Take care gents.
choose the harder right over the easier wrong, lift others up rather than tear them down, keep in shape, fight off the arthritis, and keep the old scar tissue elastic. Col. Jerry Sage-"Dagger" of the OSS.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 16:01   #18
deanwells
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWire
The Truth is with all the stuff we have available its very hard as an Echo to keep up with the Advances. I mean Im deployed Oconus right now and listening to a radio stream out of San Diego (Home) and communicating with my wife, and on here. My Comms are on another system indepndent of this one.

If there is one thing I can say as an Echo that I would pass on is that you have got to be the most important guy on the team. Not to say the Deltas cant do shit, or anything else, but as an Echo it is still a 24/7 job. After Missions, when everyone else bags out, guess who has to send in the AAR? Yup......You need to keep your shit wired tight........and if your the only Echo, keep it wired tighter, beause someones gonna screw your shit up cause they wanna play solitaire or something else with your systems!!!!!!!!!!! No Touchy there Bravo who needed the class on how to use his thumb drive last week, No Touch!!!!!!!!
Yeah you're not kidding. I was just blessed with the oppurtunity to pick up two echos to help me out. I was on my own for a little bit and the work just kept coming.
As for the course getting shortened, that started in early 05. Does it hurt the commo on the teams? Maybe? If there is a senior present, than he will bring the new guy up to speed. If not, than the new guy needs to crack the manuals and be friends with C&E, because those are the guys who will save your rear when you are down range without a clue. It helps to have a super commo dude on the B team because he has answers for those not so easy questions.
Networking is the priority in the rear and down range depending on the leadership....Study up...you will need it.

DW
Old 06-12-2007, 19:42   #19
Griv
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWire
and proceeded to emplace a 535' half wave Rhombic antenna.

Have to remember that one!
Griv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:46   #20
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwells
If there is a senior present, than he will bring the new guy up to speed. If not, than the new guy needs to crack the manuals and be friends with C&E, because those are the guys who will save your rear when you are down range without a clue. It helps to have a super commo dude on the B team because he has answers for those not so easy questions.
Networking is the priority in the rear and down range depending on the leadership....Study up...you will need it.
DW
It's been a couple days but do the Echos hit the Gulag (Sig Det) still or are they going straight to the team?
(I realize that manning issues will drive the train on that)

Personal relationships developed and rapport building with the base station guys and CE folks definitely grease the skids down the line.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:15   #21
Amato
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo
It's been a couple days but do the Echos hit the Gulag (Sig Det) still or are they going straight to the team?
(I realize that manning issues will drive the train on that)

Personal relationships developed and rapport building with the base station guys and CE folks definitely grease the skids down the line.
Both I think. Our instructors keep telling us we could get sent to SigDet right out or straight to a team
Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 18:10   #22
FearMonkey
Quiet Professional

<----- New 18E in SIGDET.
Old 06-14-2007, 18:12   #23
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMonkey
<----- 18E in SIGDET.
Better than being an 18E at the SOAF...or an 18D for that matter...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 22:00   #24
skipjack
Auxiliary

It depends on many factors at the time you in process. I went straight to a team and have been the Senior (only) Echo now for almost 7 months. Some guys I came to group with went to SigDet, some went to C&E and other, like me, went to teams. Kind of luck of the draw, kind of...

-skipjack
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 23:16   #25
deanwells
Quiet Professional

BOP Time

Yes some guys will do time in the BOP. It's not that bad really. Bop time is what you make of it anyways so implied task is...... I was thankful for my time because I came to the tm ahead of the commo power curve instead of behind. It gave me more time to focus on the rest of the section's jobs and learn more about them. You never know when you might have to cover down on 2 sections
Old 06-18-2007, 05:19   #26
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwells
Yes some guys will do time in the BOP. It's not that bad really. Bop time is what you make of it anyways so implied task is...... I was thankful for my time because I came to the tm ahead of the commo power curve instead of behind. It gave me more time to focus on the rest of the section's jobs and learn more about them. You never know when you might have to cover down on 2 sections
I agree that BOP time has some great value to it. I came out of the Signal Corp, but did 9 months at Bn C&E. I think it was a great transition, although at the time I was not very happy about the whole thing.
Some of the guys in SigDet are extremely good at what they do and why not get a few more tricks for the kit-bag.

James Madison
Old 06-18-2007, 17:52   #27
deanwells
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Some of the guys in SigDet are extremely good at what they do and why not get a few more tricks for the kit-bag.
Yep it's a great way to learn about some off the systems you will see that is not part of the intial learning stages. Also you get to see the other side of the coin so you understand the meaning of troubleshooting first..take heads later.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:37   #28
Amato
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I agree that BOP time has some great value to it. I came out of the Signal Corp, but did 9 months at Bn C&E. I think it was a great transition, although at the time I was not very happy about the whole thing.
Im coming from Signal Corp(31U/25U) also, but I have absolutely no problems with SigDet. Last thing I want to do is show up to a team and be surprised with something I have never seen before and start a bad rep from there.
Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 21:23   #29
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amato
Im coming from Signal Corp(31U/25U) also, but I have absolutely no problems with SigDet. Last thing I want to do is show up to a team and be surprised with something I have never seen before and start a bad rep from there.

Be a sponge.

James Madison
Old 06-09-2009, 14:36   #30
RedGun
Asset

I'm a 25S30 (SATCOM) with a bit of networkinig experience (Cisco) and Promina. I'm on assignment to 7th Group, reporting near the end of November. After doing a little research I'd really like to get into a SIG DET in one of the SF battallions rather than the support Battallion. Does anyone know who I can contact to try and work this? I'd like to support the teams as close as I can.
RedGun is offline   Reply With Quote