Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 02-13-2005, 13:09   #16
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I presume you want the basics. If I may let me suggest going to a library and/or a book store. If there is a "Radio theory for Idiots" in print that would be a good start.

I have an AAS in Radio Engineering Technology but I became an expert on vacuum tubes just in time for them to be tyrashed for solid state devices.

IIRC the SWC did and may still offer SF Communications Extension courses. These courses are great and you also end up with a great personal reference library.

I completed every course they had by disciplining myself to complete one lesson per night.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 13:30   #17
lrd
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
I presume you want the basics. If I may let me suggest going to a library and/or a book store. If there is a "Radio theory for Idiots" in print that would be a good start.
That is exactly what I need. I should have looked for it first. Thank you, QRQ.
Quote:
I have an AAS in Radio Engineering Technology but I became an expert on vacuum tubes just in time for them to be tyrashed for solid state devices.

IIRC the SWC did and may still offer SF Communications Extension courses. These courses are great and you also end up with a great personal reference library.

I completed every course they had by disciplining myself to complete one lesson per night.
Can you tell me why the carrier frequency shifts according to audio signal variations, instead of the audio shifting according to the carrier frequency?
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 14:26   #18
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Can you tell me why the carrier frequency shifts according to audio signal variations, instead of the audio shifting according to the carrier frequency?
Are you trying to overload this old man's brain? The answer is right there. Without going into the mechanics, the carrier is a constant and it is modulated by the audio signal. The detector in the FM receiver converts variations in frequency to audio signals. Since noise (interference) rides on the peaks of the carrier wave, it is simpler to eliminate since you only need to shave off the peaks. In AM signals this "limiting" would result in the loss of intelligence.

Obviously somewhere along the line someone has limited my AM brain waves.

misery is optional.

Old 02-13-2005, 14:52   #19
lrd
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
Are you trying to overload this old man's brain? The answer is right there. Without going into the mechanics, the carrier is a constant and it is modulated by the audio signal. The detector in the FM receiver converts variations in frequency to audio signals. Since noise (interference) rides on the peaks of the carrier wave, it is simpler to eliminate since you only need to shave off the peaks. In AM signals this "limiting" would result in the loss of intelligence.

Obviously somewhere along the line someone has limited my AM brain waves.
Are you sure you weren't an English major? lol I knew I was asking for it by using the term "carrier."

What prevents the audio wave from being the constant?
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 15:18   #20
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd
Are you sure you weren't an English major? lol I knew I was asking for it by using the term "carrier."

What prevents the audio wave from being the constant?
HEHEHE!! Then it wouldn't have any info. Audio is sent from the mic. , to the modulator stage and then added to the constant carrier wave.

misery is optional.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:22   #21
NormC27
Asset

Cool Commo Primer?

On understanding antenna theory and propagation go to Amazon Books, Books a Million or Barnes & Nobles and buy the ARRL Antenna Handbook. AARL - Amateur Radio Relay League (Civilian Hams) or Google ARRL and go to their web site. Starts at fundementals of electricity thru theory and propagation and antenna construction. This should keep you going for the next 12 months. Enjoy
Old 03-24-2008, 12:29   #22
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

For a lighter introduction:

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14...s/14182_61.htm

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:33   #23
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Wow! Did I really say all of the above? Anyway, "Civilian HAMs" are by far the most common.

misery is optional.

Old 03-24-2008, 13:24   #24
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

If you can find someone with an extra copy of this, it will give you a good start on the old school way of doing business.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna.jpg (75.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-24-2008, 13:27   #25
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
If you can find someone with an extra copy of this, it will give you a good start on the old school way of doing business.
Old school has a way of coming back around and being the latest and greatest...look at 70's fashion

Sadly that book along with the old ECAC TTP went the way of the dodo when they pried the 99-van out of our hands.

James Madison
Old 03-24-2008, 13:32   #26
Guy
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up LMAO!

Quote:
They would have to put that in PowerPoint, add a keyboard w/ monitor, at least 2Gs of memory and serve non-fat tea at the same time.

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 13:35   #27
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Sadly that book along with the old ECAC TTP went the way of the dodo when they pried the 99-van out of our hands.

It still had a basic function for me in the late 80s and I had my "Echos" add to it for clandestine urban ops for antennas to support our mission. It is going to be very interesting when the chicoms take out all the satellites or enough of them to limit the band width and folks will have to learn how to send instructions and information without power point slides and other bandwidth eating media just to get the msg across. Do I sense new versions of SAVSERSUP and CSS in the future
Old 03-24-2008, 19:05   #28
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It still had a basic function for me in the late 80s and I had my "Echos" add to it for clandestine urban ops for antennas to support our mission. It is going to be very interesting when the chicoms take out all the satellites or enough of them to limit the band width and folks will have to learn how to send instructions and information without power point slides and other bandwidth eating media just to get the msg across. Do I sense new versions of SAVSERSUP and CSS in the future
Sometimes the way forward isn't neccesarily forward ....... See ya in the window

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 03-24-2008 at 19:15. Reason: rephrasing
Old 03-24-2008, 19:38   #29
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I had a copy of that pub. A friend of mine from 10th gave it to me. Used it for a long time and I passed it on to an Echo on my team in 7th. Wish I had a copy of that and a bunch more that I gave up before retirement. I could use them now in my DOJ Job down south here.

Col Jack you should sit down and scan all those hidden books you have into PDF files and have them available for QP's. Old school is Good and will never go away.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:12   #30
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Col Jack you should sit down and scan all those hidden books you have into PDF files and have them available for QP's. Old school is Good and will never go away.
Interesting that you should mention that. I have been shifting through a lot of material that I have accumulated over the years and now that most of my physical abilities are in an ever decreasing spiral I was considering a way to capture what I can before the brain housing group catches up with aging process. Not sure why I would want to do this but I guess as the days go by I find that the memories of folks, places, and events are becoming a substitute for actions that are becoming more limiting. Guess it is all about not wanting to let go of things that really mattered and bring back, even momentarily, those times, folks and places that defined who we were. Hell, I don't want to become a confused Hillary and remember things that never happened