Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 04-20-2011, 22:03   #1
upchuck
SF Candidate

Harris Knighthawk

This is a interesting piece of equipment. Wonder what the uplink requirement is for it.

http://army3g.com/details.php

Quote:
Harris Corporation Introduces Tactical 3G Cellular Network-in-a-Box for Warfighters
MELBOURNE, Fla., April 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

Highlights

Provides warfighters with 3G cellular service capabilities in remote and rugged locations
Super-fast connectivity enables warfighters to become on-the-move sensors
Small size, weight and power (SWaP) for mobile or fixed deployments

Harris Corporation (NYSE: HRS), an international communications and information technology company, has introduced KnightHawk™ 3G - a ruggedized, highly mobile tactical base station that enables warfighters on the move to maintain 3G cellular services in locations with limited or no cellular connectivity.

Jointly developed by Harris and Battleground Telecommunications Systems (BTS™), KnightHawk 3G is a customizable cellular Network In a Box (NIB) compatible with commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) equipment, including smartphones and tablets. Each KnightHawk 3G is installed with BTS Praefectus™ Mission Management Software, which automates configuration and management of the cellular network, and enables each KnightHawk to operate autonomously or as a scalable network with hundreds of nodes for increased range. This compatibility allows users in the battlefield to leverage existing applications, thereby enabling them to track a team's location, automatically translate foreign languages, and conduct remote training using existing advanced programs.

KnightHawk 3G features UMTS High Speed Packet Access, providing extremely fast connectivity of 14.4 mbps for downloads and up to 5.76 mbps for uploads. It also offers the benefits of small size, weight and power (SWaP), making it ideal for mobile, multi-mission requirements in challenging environments.

"KnightHawk 3G is a landmark system that gives the U.S. military immediate access to millions of low-cost commercial devices already on the market while maintaining compatibility with future standards," said Dan Pearson, executive vice president and chief operating officer for Harris. "Our unique solution blends the principle of interoperability with capabilities that use the current cellular tower model and enables the military to deploy it on a variety of platforms while on the move."

"KnightHawk 3G allows the warfighter to train, fight and communicate more effectively by bringing cutting-edge 3G/4G commercial technology, such as the Droid, iPhone®, iPad®, and other advanced devices to the battlefield," said Sean Lane, BTS chief executive officer. "From an intelligence perspective, KnightHawk 3G enables every warfighter to become a sensor with the ability to report audio, video, and other data to commanders in real time."

Last edited by upchuck; 04-20-2011 at 22:14.
upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Warfighters? Geezus Christ. I thought we were operators.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 13:19   #3
albeham
Quiet Professional

Oh goody..Now I can have a crack berry... Did you hear me now?
Old 04-21-2011, 14:24   #4
upchuck
SF Candidate

In related news:

Army Picks Android to Power Its First Smartphone
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011...st-smartphone/

Angry Bird Artillery?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:18   #5
no-hertz
Quiet Professional

I have been thinking about this device since this post went up the other day.

Asides from the "cool" factor(I want one for sure), trying to weigh pro's and con's.

Cell phones and other smaller CDMA devices have become incredibly advanced, and offer a computing platform that is small, powerful, easily charged, etc. Android seems better suited since it is open and anyone can make and sideload APK's.

Ability to buy COTS phones, and use specifically developed packages of applications is pretty cool, developing a robust "sensor" network, or giving individuals a very small PDA with a robust set of applications for reporting, recording or distributing information in near real time. With streaming video, possibly in real time.

But actual application is what gets me. Are we talking about setting these up in combat area's, denied area's, etc.

Far spread application in places like Iraq or Afghanistan does not seem to pose much of an advantage to me, we already have two way radio's and repeater systems. red/green terminals everywhere. HMMWV's, MRAP,s FBCB2, etc.

Denied area's seems maybe a little useful, except powering it and maintaining it incognito. Having a COTS Cell Phone could provide some cover over a two way radio, military radio, etc.

I have looked into their security system, which does not seem to exist yet, PraefectaSIM, and their is little info available. Is this going to meet the NSA level, where you can pass information easily and openly?

I am not a CDMA expert, but I don't think this will be a very secure system. Obviously the threat of data and voice streams being plucked out of the air and decoded poses a security threat if you use this operationally. And if not operationally, why at all.

"hey, where you at?"
"the gym man"
"oh, cool"

Also was wondering if it you bridge it to a local phone and internet system, or is it designed as a closed system? Interference with local systems in the same range?
no-hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 14:17   #6
upchuck
SF Candidate

It looks like might be one answer for the data link for the M/HCE (Mobile /Handheld Computing Environment) now in development. Float one of these in a blimp and you would have an entire AO covered. From the article it looks like the M/HCE will be using the 117G for data.

As I understand it CDMA is inherently much more secure than it's GSM counterpart. You should also have no issue employing a private key system to further secure the system. Without that NSA certification all of that means nothing. I am sure Harris is working hard on that aspect of the system.

(Further reading on CDMA security http://www.scribd.com/doc/22599374/S...-GSM-GPRS-CDMA )

The possibilities of having a connected smart device in the field is amazing. It could easily replace 20+lb of gear. Not to mention the cost savings of replacing all that gear with one device.

Biometrics
Fire Support
Live feeds from various support equipment
BFT down to the individual
Falcon View

Nett Warrior is complete crap. I think somebody in the Army asked the common sense question: "Why do we need 20lb of gear for all this when I have something in my pocket that can do all of that and more with under 1lb of weight?"
Old 04-22-2011, 14:24   #7
69harley
Guerrilla

But when a bad guy shoots down the blimp the entire comms architecture that was riding on this thing goes down.

Sometimes our own commo good idea fairies are our own worst enemy.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 14:44   #8
upchuck
SF Candidate

Weather is the most likely event to bring these blimps down. I don't think this will replace the 152, it will just allow you real-time network access in the field. If it doesn't work you still need to have a plan to complete the mission.
Old 04-22-2011, 14:48   #9
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I nominate this for Quote of the week.

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 15:24   #10
no-hertz
Quiet Professional

As these things can only carry approximately 50 streams per unit if I read their information properly, you are going to need a pretty big blimp (or lots of them) to in turn be able to saturate the AO with devices.

And the weather does frequently take the blimp down, at least looking at it from my side of camp. More likely another tower smashed with antenna's.

Remember that the majority of your COTS Devices for this, AKA "cell phones" have a relatively low ERP value with small internal antennas, you are going to need tall towers, and frequent placement just like the cellular network anywhere else.
no-hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 15:51   #11
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Now they tell me,I had all the guys convinced at the VFW I was an operator,got to change it to a Warfighter..........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 16:37   #12
upchuck
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-hertz View Post
As these things can only carry approximately 50 streams per unit if I read their information properly, you are going to need a pretty big blimp (or lots of them) to in turn be able to saturate the AO with devices.

And the weather does frequently take the blimp down, at least looking at it from my side of camp. More likely another tower smashed with antenna's.

Remember that the majority of your COTS Devices for this, AKA "cell phones" have a relatively low ERP value with small internal antennas, you are going to need tall towers, and frequent placement just like the cellular network anywhere else.
I think it is a start, and another tool never hurts. It would be interesting to see what they could do with the 700Mhz LTE technology. You have better building penetration and can be located much further from the cell site vs the 2100 Mhz that this system is using. Not to mention data rates over 100Mbps and "acceptable" performance beyond 20miles with LOS.
Old 04-22-2011, 17:16   #13
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-hertz View Post
... giving individuals a very small PDA with a robust set of applications for reporting, recording or distributing information in near real time...
More reporting...how wonderful. Instead of a FRAGO we can do a full CONOP when the situation changes on the ground.

I know what you meant though...

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 19:21   #14
upchuck
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
More reporting...how wonderful. Instead of a FRAGO we can do a full CONOP when the situation changes on the ground.

I know what you meant though...
"sorry, but we need that request for CAS in powerpoint format with a complete story board"