Old 02-12-2009, 00:52   #1
DeMo180a
Quiet Professional

Location: High ground somewhere in the GREAT Pacific Northwest
Solar Panels?

Hey guys,
What is your take on solar panels? I'm not a big fan of them. I think they take too long to charge anything; although it does fit a niche in the rechargeable PACE plan I guess. Is anyone here in love with solar panels?

There just seems to be all sorts of guys that want BHI to sell their solar panels and I just don't see a use for them on todays battlefield. Shoot, you can take my zinc air battery outside the wire and power your MBITR for 7-10 days - what do I need a solar panel for?
That's my take anyway - what do you think?
DeMo
ken@bhigear.com
DeMo180a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:20   #2
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Solar power is sort of a quirky thing. It seems the people that are into it are what might be considered rabid supporters.

Whether or not you should even consider a PV solution should be based upon the mission and the area of operation. Without sufficient time for placement or without sufficient levels of sunlight it is just more junk you have to carry. That being said, some of the flexible panel systems are relatively lightweight, but are less efficient than a rigid-panel system.

PV cells used with communications equipement would have an application for long-term, static locations. You might even be able to argue the point for some sort of vehicle, roof-mounted system. Both of these applications would be best if paired with a battery bank for energy storage. The PV system would be for gap filler or backup power if ther is a commercial or generator failure. If you were interested in tying it all in together then you power all the systems off of the batter bank and use the commercial, generator and PV sources to keep the batteries charged. This would provide you with conditioned power...

Equipment duty-cycle would also play a role. Once-upon-a-time you didn't have to keep the radio on 24/7...things have changed with the demand for SA at the higher levels.

It is a niche, but in a DA world I don't foresee a good reason for them unless your logistics and infrastructure can't provide you with expendable batteries or AC power in camp.

FID/UW...yeah...there is some good applications...but as always the stinkin' batteries are the weak link.

My nickles worth...

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 02-12-2009 at 06:26.
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:37   #3
albeham
Quiet Professional

I use them when out camping and have a radio with me, which is all the time.

when on the team I carried them at times, but that was for UW stuff, or like what I do is keep GEL Cells topped off and floating with a charge for my Ham station at home.

A hand crank gen is better for a faster charge, but I am getting old and fat and lazy, did I say fat, so I use the panels when I out in a camp for a week or better. Weekend stuff no, I can carry the extra batteries support, hell as long as I can strap it to my back, and get help standing up...

I agree with my fellow Marylander, I feel it always goes back to power management.

AL
Old 02-12-2009, 10:16   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Working with our local counterparts we use Solar Panels. The locals can not support the battery expense to support their Opns with us. We made the decision to go with Rechargeable battery's that weigh more but do better in this environment. They Use chargers in the base and when they are in the field they use the panels on their ruck's to top off and maintain the battery's.

They work better than the had crank's as they keep breaking the hand cranks. Also their bases have limited power so when needed they charge them when the power is off.

We also use Solar Panels to maintain their Repeaters battery's and also to run their radio rooms at night. All radio rooms are set up on AC and DC since the power is always questionable. Their Telephone links on towers are also charged with Solar Power.

This is how we do business in South America out in the field.
Just my 2 cents....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 15:19   #5
Rocky515
Asset

Under the old UW doctrine of burst BTB a few times a week, maybe they had a place. However, back then, solar panels and rechargeable batteries, were even less efficient than today.

Today, with the requirement of constant, real-time commo, I don't see much use for them for tactical radios.

However, recently I have used, (non-tactical of course, I'm retired), a solar system for my cell phone. It is called a SOLIO, from Better Energy Systems, Ltd. This is a battery / power supply that can be charged by plugging it in the wall or by its built-in solar panels. It's small, about 4.5" x 2.5", and light weight. It also seems to hold its charge for a long time.

It will charge a cell phone or other low-power device pretty good. The best thing is you can leave out all day, then charge your phone at night. The bad thing is it takes all day (at least) to charge up. I live in Phoenix, and even here it can take a long time to charge.

The one I have is a couple years old, so the technology may have improved by now.

For what it's worth, I'd maybe put it in the "E" part of a PACE plan; maybe ia a bug-out or E&R bag.
Rocky515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 20:18   #6
DeMo180a
Quiet Professional

Location: High ground somewhere in the GREAT Pacific Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Working with our local counterparts we use Solar Panels. The locals can not support the battery expense to support their Opns with us. We made the decision to go with Rechargeable battery's that weigh more but do better in this environment. They Use chargers in the base and when they are in the field they use the panels on their ruck's to top off and maintain the battery's.

They work better than the had crank's as they keep breaking the hand cranks. Also their bases have limited power so when needed they charge them when the power is off.

We also use Solar Panels to maintain their Repeaters battery's and also to run their radio rooms at night. All radio rooms are set up on AC and DC since the power is always questionable. Their Telephone links on towers are also charged with Solar Power.

This is how we do business in South America out in the field.
Just my 2 cents....
Great input bro. I appreciate the Indig point of view. I hadn't thought of that. you know at this AFCEA show I am just leaving they head some really inovative ideas, like a tent with built in panels on the roof so you can power the gear inside - I thought that was good thinking. They also have the ability to hook a bunch of 60W panels together through a power station, and they the panel comes in a Pelican style case with a volt meter built in so as you rotate the panels you can see where you're getting the most sunshine. They've come a long way since I last used them - like 10 years ago.

I think it warrants further investigation; being from the "sunshine state" of Washington I rarely see the sun
Anyone else have an experience in solar that they find beneficial? They also have like a tarp - kind of like an umbella that goes over an exsisting single story building that works like the tent solar panels, but only provides shade - if that makes sense??
DeMo
DeMo180a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:06   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMo180a View Post
Great input bro. I appreciate the Indig point of view. I hadn't thought of that. you know at this AFCEA show I am just leaving they head some really inovative ideas, like a tent with built in panels on the roof so you can power the gear inside - I thought that was good thinking. They also have the ability to hook a bunch of 60W panels together through a power station, and they the panel comes in a Pelican style case with a volt meter built in so as you rotate the panels you can see where you're getting the most sunshine. They've come a long way since I last used them - like 10 years ago.

I think it warrants further investigation; being from the "sunshine state" of Washington I rarely see the sun
Anyone else have an experience in solar that they find beneficial? They also have like a tarp - kind of like an umbella that goes over an exsisting single story building that works like the tent solar panels, but only provides shade - if that makes sense??
DeMo
Power in the field is a precious thing. DA Opns this is not the thing. UW in a DoD Opn this is an option. In a Base camp/Fire Base Opn This is a GOOD Thing as you do not have to run the generators all the time and as we all know they break....

Working with your counterparts these come in great. First thing you have to remember they are only as good as what you teach and give them. Think outside the box and make them capable when you are gone. We all know they only use our gear because we finance the Log trail and when we are gone they can not afford or have the Log system to keep up the Battery replenishment.

From now on we plan our base camps with battery/Solar power for Commo so at the least they can talk. If I was in the sand box's I would also be planning Solar support for my camp and have panels in the Vehicles to recharge some critical battery's if we are extended on an Opn. We all know we have gone out on a patrol for 3 days and returned after 7-10 days. The usual reason for returning was Log related.
Just my 2 cents
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 13:58   #8
knightwarrior
Asset

This is a solar panel that was part of the Thomson TRC 300 to charge the ALI 103 battery. This battery doens't have an internal charger so you need a normal charger (220-110 V AC or 10-30 V DC), the hand generator or this solar panel to recharge them.

The ALI 107 battery have an internal charger so you can connect them to any 10 to 30 V DC to recharge them.

This radio use 14,4 V.

This solar panel was used in the Falkland/Malvinas 1982 War by Gendarmeria Argentina (Grupo Alacran).

You can carry two batteries and why using one, the other is with the solar panel.
This solar panel allows you to have the radio in the receive mode while charging the battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDB Thomson GES 101 a.jpg (71.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg PDB Thomson GES 101 b.jpg (78.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg PDB Thomson GES 101 c.jpg (41.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg PDB Thomson TRC-300-4 a.jpg (86.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg ARG-DNG-générateur d'énergie solaire GES 101 - 1982.jpg (59.9 KB, 79 views)

"The bayonet has always been the weapon of the brave and the chief tool of victory" - Napoleon Bonaparte
knightwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 18:46   #9
StRaTeGy_
SF Candidate

I used to use Solar panels a lot at Combat Outposts and Joint Security Stations and especially at the field when we had no power. We built A-frames and portables lean to, set all the panels around it, and just turn them around while the sun changes. And they work pretty well. Or we just put them around the fire and it still works fine.
Old 01-17-2011, 18:57   #10
Penn
Area Commander

Without going crazy...we converted outside dinning to solar powered lamps vs candle and direct power; the cost saving an immediate 50%.
Presently we are researching total solar for the restaurant, we will convert regardless, but are seeking the best platform; with an energy cost of 3K per month any solution to low cost is a major consideration.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 20:51   #11
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

If I remember right, KAF has Solar Lights around the "broadwalk".

While is 10th we used solar panel to charge batteries. Not the SKU hard panels that every ODA has. These were a pelican case with some Burton 6 foot panels and other ones that rolled out. Along with connectors for just about everything from 5590 batteries to Cell Phones.

I think with current Cell Batteries and Solar Panels could be used in UW option.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 14:13   #12
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Quote:
we converted outside dinning to solar powered lamps vs candle and direct power; the cost saving an immediate 50%.
Presently we are researching total solar for the restaurant, we will convert regardless, but are seeking the best platform; with an energy cost of 3K per month any solution to low cost is a major consideration.
I looked into getting solar panels on the roof of my house and get myself off the grid. The investment was considerable (the solar system plus reinforcing my roof to support the system as I live in the city), but would have paid itself off after 7 or 8 years. I plan on moving before that so it was a no-go. Also, remember that the cells do lose their ability to work - approximately 1% per year.

jaYson
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:59   #13
greyfox
Asset

I am resurrecting this thread for an unusual request.

Currently I'm working on a solar powered/augmented AC unit as part of a proof of concept with my University with funding from a local utility company.

With the right equipment and hardware, this project has the potential to be expanded into all kinds of applications; cooling your car while in the parking lot/K9 unit vehicles, apartments, or the FOB, etc.

I was wondering, if not in violation of OPSEC, if you all had pictures of solar panels/arrays/systems that were used in the field to power your various electronics.

At this point, we're going to be fabricating small scale units for our operational testing, it would beneficial to our cause in terms of product development if there was a need for this product that has not been satiated, and one that would support the war fighter in remote areas.
greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:28   #14
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Have any of you used the Power Film rollables specifically? We would like to offer the rollable pv,s w/multi chargers, just don't know if there would be enough interest? and if they would be effective enough?

Have been looking at these for awhile....
http://nsrdec.natick.army.mil/media/.../FlexPhoto.PDF

Edit: The rollable systems http://dodfuelcell.cecer.army.mil/rd.../6a_Tucker.pdf Toward the bottom of the page.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 02-09-2011 at 15:06.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:29   #15
35NCO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox View Post
I am resurrecting this thread for an unusual request.

Currently I'm working on a solar powered/augmented AC unit as part of a proof of concept with my University with funding from a local utility company.

With the right equipment and hardware, this project has the potential to be expanded into all kinds of applications; cooling your car while in the parking lot/K9 unit vehicles, apartments, or the FOB, etc.

I was wondering, if not in violation of OPSEC, if you all had pictures of solar panels/arrays/systems that were used in the field to power your various electronics.

At this point, we're going to be fabricating small scale units for our operational testing, it would beneficial to our cause in terms of product development if there was a need for this product that has not been satiated, and one that would support the war fighter in remote areas.
If you are working on this project with your University and are interested in the way the military uses such applications, I would highly suggest Janes. Janes has searchable online databases on anything and everything the military uses. Along with the specs and contracted manufacturers. I could tell you that I have used "XX" brand once or twice and it looked like this...but that really is not beneficial to what you are trying to do. If you seriously want to be competitive with the big names in coming up with a new product and application, you are going to have to do some deep analysis of what is already used. Then weigh if the product is really better or not.

Once all that is said and done the field testing begins for the boots on the ground, then based off that feedback you will learn if you have a winner. See if your university will fund a Janes account. That or take an online class at AMU, it gives you free access to the database. Good luck with your project.
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote