Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 01-30-2009, 19:59   #1
stickey
Guerrilla

SIGDET Questions if You Don't Mind.

I have the great opportunity to serve in the signal detachment for one of battalions as the SIGDET commander. I have a few questions. I have thought about posting this for some time but as my role and duty shifts in the next couple of months, I thought I would go ahead a pose the questions. I have asked my command to some extent these same questions, but thought that I would pose them to you as well to get a different perspective or approach on how to serve the unit the best way possible (and not look like a retard as the fng). I also mentioned this to TR and he recommended posting here. I know that some of you may not have served directly in a SIGDET, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My questions are:

What do you expect from the SIGDET commander?

What do you expect the SIGDET CO to know, not necessarily leadership, but technically (JNN, JISSC, SATCOM, etc…)?

What role(s) will I have during a typical deployment? Fobbit, part-time fobbit, 50/50 outside the wire?

What is the typical relationship between the SIGDET CO and the senior NCO of the detachment?

That’s all for right now, but I am sure that I might have some follow up questions to any answers/suggestions provided.

Thanks.

Stickey
Old 02-07-2009, 23:33   #2
d1eg01
Asset

heres the thing

I served in the SIGDET before going to the course. SO here is the deal for you as a SIGDET cdr.

You are the ultimate FOBBIT.

We expect you to never interface with the team sergeants.

We expect you to have a working relationship with all of your b team sr. commo sergeants.

You job IS leadership! You are a commander. You have in your command people who need to know their job. Make sure they accomplish the task but stay out of the way. Make sure your snr NCO in the sigdet gets those fobbits under your command out of their office chairs and into the gym. They have a tendency to become a grayish color after sitting indoors for 6 months. Still, remember that the senior NCO of the SIGDET has experience that you don't have. Think of him as a PLT SGT and you are a new dumb ass PL.

Hope that helped.
d1eg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 15:47   #3
Conrad Y
Quiet Professional

I was the SIGDET Daddy for two years and one year playing two hats also as the SIGO (SIGDET Commander) too during another stint in staff.

I think it is clear that the SIGDET NCO handles the kids and the tasks at hand along with the upcomming events on the training schedule and the SIGO will ensure that he (the SIGDET NCO) has everything at his disposal to do this and then just relax. Your SIGDET daddy can make you look pretty good by just simply having a good relationship with him during your stay.

Avoid confrontations, avoid contradicting him unless you are 100% sure you are keeping the system from a meltdown and stay out of his (and the other NCO's way) while keeping the O-chain from bumping into your territory.

I got along just fine with my SIGOs and we helped each other out. Remember that the SIGDET NCO is SF qualified and has been around awhile.

If you are worried about what to know about the systems I would say that you probably have a good amount of technical knowledge already and the rest you can learn from the boys. Just don't come with too much ego. No one in the SIGDET expects you to know everything, so don't sweat it.

If you get there and after awhile you think you got the worst NCO in the world for some reason, go talk to the First Sergeant (or SGM depending on the unit)and have him figure out how to fix it. Easy as that.

Another thing is that you are going to be taxed-out to do every trashy detail the Chain wants of you like preparing for the annual ball, DFAC inspector and crap like that to occupy your time away from your boys while they train. Try to get as much time during the training as you can because you may not get second chances.

You will have a lot of stress placed on you during deployments by circumstances and the Chain of command. I would suggest you try to play firewall between the SIGDET NCO (and his Junior NCOs) and the stress of the deployment so they can work efficiently and make you look good. If I were you I would learn all I can during deployments while not standing over peoples shoulders making them nervous. Some of the kids are very young and can be intimidated by their impatient SIGO watching them splice wires for the Group Commander's STU in his tent.

As a matter of fact that is how I can best advise you on your role in one word "Firewall".

I hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2009, 13:25   #4
stickey
Guerrilla

Thanks.

Thank you both for your comments. The exact type of guidance i was looking for. Appreciate your time and responses.

Stickey
Old 09-22-2011, 19:17   #5
stickey
Guerrilla

some points on a two year follow up....

-how true was the advice given.

-did everything possible to get out of Fobbit-mode, along with getting the guys out, on the road and doing stints at the FBs/COPs. Success.

-avoided doopy BSC/SOTF details through productive alternatives

-a good number of the guys maintained physical fitness and very interested in attending selection now, which doesnt reflect anything i did, but the greater leadership and command climate that makes them want to stick around.

- interfaced not with TS, but TLs with success when afforded the opportunity. The O to O relationship was a great eye-opener with mini-mentorships.

-One challenge were leaders that had no conceptual idea how technology works. Most of what we can provide or establish couldn't be done within the 10 minutes they thought it should take.

-Another was the complete refusal for some folks to use the workorder system. We did fine, but could've eased the stress. ( Understand, there are some things that require immediate attention and those are the exceptions).

-Another frustration was getting beat up by GNCC, SOCOM, J6 for folks not adhering to the user agreements by trying to plug in their personal devices (computers, thumbdrives, etc...).

Some frustration with the majority of 18Es lack of interest in learning the trade, many were capable, but understandably they would rather kick doors. There were several that were top-notch and simply impressive. There are certain expectations that an 18E possesses within the MOS....there are cheat sheets too for crying out loud!!!

Never understood, rather, never saw the need to network with others (CJSOTF, 112th, etc...). That lesson was learned quickly by a good S6 by pausing and revisiting situations and tasks that were successful only due to the assistance or support of others.

Overall, the past two years were very successful, productive and a the best two years of my career. Had a great group of guys in the detachment and leadership throughout the BN. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The positives certainly outweigh the negatives.

There are some things i would have done different. Personal critiques abound, but like i mentioned, i think we do/did exceptionally well and credit much of that to our seasoned NCOs.

Last edited by stickey; 09-22-2011 at 19:20.
stickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 19:25   #6
albeham
Quiet Professional

Grasshopper you learned good..

Been that NCOIC that had a O that wanted to play and fucked it up. He once asked me if he should stay. I told him no, this was not for him. About two years later he called me and told me that what I told him was was the best thing anyone have ever told him, now he is happy being a MP.

Yes some 18E want to kick door..Some like me become EE's for I too had, wanted to listen to the Seniors and learned my trade..shooting was just the exciting part of it...

AL
Old 09-22-2011, 21:29   #7
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickey View Post
some points on a two year follow up....

-Some frustration with the majority of 18Es lack of interest in learning the trade, many were capable, but understandably they would rather kick doors. There were several that were top-notch and simply impressive. There are certain expectations that an 18E possesses within the MOS....there are cheat sheets too for crying out loud!!!
Understand that with the exception of the Freaks of nature such as albeham, myself and a select few....who were focused on being an Echo as a goal.... for most others, it's "needs of the Force" so they take on the role directed in order be able to enter the Regiment. That will most likely never change.

I never met a Weapons guy who wished he was a Comm guy

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:23   #8
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
I never met a Weapons guy who wished he was a Comm guy [/COLOR]
Too funny, and so very true. I however have met many a 18B, regardless of rank, who started most sentances towards an 18E with, "So what the hells going on, what's the plan?"
Old 09-23-2011, 16:29   #9
Don
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Too funny, and so very true. I however have met many a 18B, regardless of rank, who started most sentances towards an 18E with, "So what the hells going on, what's the plan?"
I wish I had seen that. Us commo guys have a little inside joke about being the "field goal kicker".
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 20:12   #10
stickey
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
... for most others, it's "needs of the Force" so they take on the role directed in order be able to enter the Regiment. That will most likely never change.

I never met a Weapons guy who wished he was a Comm guy

No, i understand and can't say i would say "18E? You want me to be what? ummm, no thanks" and go elsewhere. Didn't mean to sound unaware or without empathy.
Old 09-24-2011, 20:47   #11
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Didn't mean to sound unaware or without empathy.
It was more of a tongue-in-cheek confirmation of your observations.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
-Another frustration was getting beat up by GNCC, SOCOM, J6 for folks not adhering to the user agreements by trying to plug in their personal devices (computers, thumbdrives, etc...).
Nice candid review. This area here is not unique to any particular discipline. If nothing else it illustrates key need to have your leadership chain on board as to IA. If they are, then when you engage in a few public hangings (via keystrokes to darken their area and let them be at parade rest in front of the Sr MC for example to explain why) word will get around.

We have a highly transient tng population here and have incoming unit CO's sign the mother of all UA's, attesting yea verily they have insured their Soldiers are trained & they (and their bars or oak leaves) will bear responsibility for transgressions. Again, after the hanging, the word gets around. But it works only because the COL and 2-star are on-board already. Just a thought perhaps for another similar opportunity should it come along.

Glad you had a great experience.
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 17:41   #13
stickey
Guerrilla

I didnt know this forum still existed! I googled a name and org. affiliation and PS.com came up as one of the results.

Ill add another follow up.... i eventually graduated to BN S6 at a Group, then TSOC planner, then SOJTF DIR, another TSOC Planner, JOG J6 and retired. Time flies!!!
Old 02-05-2024, 20:20   #14
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
I didnt know this forum still existed! I googled a name and org. affiliation and PS.com came up as one of the results.

Ill add another follow up.... i eventually graduated to BN S6 at a Group, then TSOC planner, then SOJTF DIR, another TSOC Planner, JOG J6 and retired. Time flies!!!
Well done, lol. Time went by at Mach 2, eh?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:52   #15
Box
Quiet Professional

We should organize a "necropost monday" - once a week (on monday of course - or it wouldn't be necropost monday) - and resurrect a post that hasn't been active for at least two presidents.

Totally not mocking Stickey - even though Stickey posted to this forum in 2009...
...then necroposted in 2011
...then necroposted in 2024

I'm just syaing that necro posting can be really cool.
I've done it.
Posted when my daughter was born - then necro posted 18 years later when she graduated high school - and will probabl neco post when she gets married - probably again if she ever gives me grand kids...
...then again when the grand kids start school
...and so on

But yeah, I agree, dealing with the GNCC at the SOCOM J6 was a real pain in the dick.

Alright - that does it for me - see you cats again in a few years.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote