Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 07-31-2013, 09:15   #1
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Are costs and vulnerabilities making military leaders nervous about satellite communi

Encouraging military planners to take a second look at long-haul communications alternatives to SATCOM, such as high-frequency (HF) radio and tropospheric scatter (troposcatter ) communications.

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/blo...lMAEJuly312013
Old 07-31-2013, 10:01   #2
glebo
Quiet Professional

Well, I know the good 'ol 18E course is still pumping out HF We're teaching the PRC-137 and the PRC 150 HF radios.

Also, some of the instructors are teaching Amature Radio Classes (Ham) after hours to get the students that are interested a Ham license..

I think to date they're up around 100-120. Usually get about 8-10 interested folks per class..
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50   #3
albeham
Quiet Professional

This debate has be going on for some time now.

SATCOM is not the cure for everything. Too many moving parts. HF is simple.
You , the other station and the COMMO GODS!!!

Being a betting man... my money is on HF and the future of it... It seems that every 11 years HF is a kick up the chain as being what we need.

(HF is also not the cure all)

DE KA1FFO K
Old 08-05-2013, 10:00   #4
Hartley
Quiet Professional

Gee, glebo - I wuz 40 years too soon. I caught crappe in Phase 2 for pointing out that one of the 109 crystals we were issued for the first short range exercise was in the middle of the 80M novice band, which explained all the low-speed CW QRM. The instructor claimed they'd "checked it a month ago and it was clear" and didn't like it when I laughed at 'em.

Glad to hear it's changed..

Hartley
W1OQ
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:56   #5
69harley
Guerrilla

Speaking of HF, the good people at Harris have been working on a new type of HF, well sort of. They are calling it Wide-Band HF. It works similar in concept to Mil Std ALE, but once two radios 'link', the modems take over and expand the bandwidth as far as the circuit will allow. Typical messages will consist of many packets, each packet may be sent with varying bandwidths. Neat stuff. Their is a demo for SOCOM this week on Bragg. For those that kow him, Steve Kaiser from Harris is in town right now. Might want ot come up on the net with Steve and have a look at the new radio.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:20   #6
albeham
Quiet Professional

Why does the name Steve Kaiser sound so , like I know the man?

AL

QRV ?
Old 08-05-2013, 14:31   #7
69harley
Guerrilla

Kaiser retired out of 5th SFG(A) in the mid '90s as a 180A (or whatever SF WOs were back then). Old as dirt, was a Senior Commo Sgt in 'Vietnam, stands maybe 5' tall, high energy, really good dude. Worked at Gordon for the last seven years or so, recently moved to the Carson area.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote