BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

New SATCOM Bird

http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com/2010/0...next-week.html

BMT
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Nice. Where do they put the 2Lt's to crank the generator?
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 13:55   #3
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Nice. Where do they put the 2Lt's to crank the generator?

That's bigger than the old comms vans, duece-and-a-half included!

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:27   #4
Fatum Me Ducat
Quiet Professional

"AEHF will provide tactical and strategic support to a wide variety of Army, Navy, Marine and Air Force users," said Col. Michael Sarchet, commander of the Protected Satellite Communications Group at the Space and Missile Systems Center.

"System uplinks and crosslinks will operate in the extremely high frequency (EHF) range and downlinks in the super high frequency (SHF) range."

Unless i'm missing something, these new birds seem like they're going to be more for strategic/organizational usage (ie. for pieces of equipment that allow you to pull pages) as opposed to uhf voice/data tacsat??? I'm not really seeing the tactical/boots on the ground purpose if these birds only end up operating in these bands. However, if this is indeed the case, at least it will free up some of the milstar bird segments/bandwidth allowing for more dedicated tacsat channels... Nothing like sharing a single channel with an entire joa
... at least with the new throughput, maybe, just maybe there might be less bitching about how slow red side is
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true."
Fatum Me Ducat is offline   Reply With Quote