Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 02-26-2009, 10:59   #16
JJ2K1
Asset

I was an airborne 31U/25U when I had enlisted into the Army, then stationed at Bragg. It exposed me to the radio/tactical side of the Army that I had no background in. Being a signal guy in the regular Army allowed me to learn what Army life was all about, and it shaped me into a stellar soldier which prepped me for greater challenges, something that 18Xs don't but should get to experience. I did the best I could at my job which turned me into one of the best signal guys in the battalion.

I never had an experience or exposure to the infantry way of life in the Army so that was all new to me. It was very surprising to see seasoned infantrymen and Rangers from around the Army not being able to cut it through selection and the rest of the Q, which caused a lot of confusion for me. I remember thinking what was I doing right or wrong that was still keeping me here, or what were they doing causing them to quit or be dropped. I was still young at the time, 20 years old, and I didn't know what I was capable of accomplishing or my personal level of strength of will. However during the Q, my commo background helped out tremendously and allowed me to focus and learn other things that I did not know of before or that I was weaker on, while the rest of the guys had to learn everything for the first time.

In my experience, I think having a commo background prior to the 18E course is a lot more valuable than having the infantry background only. If you are really high speed then being a Ranger tabbed 25U is the perfect path for becoming an 18E.
JJ2K1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:11   #17
Amato
Quiet Professional

I kind of disagree. I started off as a 31U/25U in the 82nd(later becoming an echo). I think being bred to do 7-8 early on benefits an 18E more. I had more trouble learning 7-8 then it seemed the 11B's had picking up commo(some knuckle heads aside).
“There’s only SF, there’s no SF equivalents. That’s idiocy. SEALs are not SF. MARSOC are not SF and SF are not SEALs. ... Those people who are throwing that [term] around certainly don’t understand what they’re talking about.”
Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 00:17   #18
SFSalRet08
Quiet Professional

Infantry + Communications = Good 18E

If I can add my .02. I started out my military career as an 11B straight into the Rangers. Did me a lot of good there learning the infantry (Ranger) way. Lots of tactical expertise there, a vast wealth of knowledge. I left there and went straight in to the LRSC community. Meshing Infantry and Communications into one. Served in several different LRSC units before trying out for SF. I believe with my Infantry background and knowledge of radios from being in LRSC units made me a well rounded individual and made SFAS and the Q easy for me. So my advice is if you can get some time in the Infantry and get your hands on some radios do that first. As many of the PS’s have already said (here, and many other threats) get some real Army time under your belt then try out for SF and bring something else to the table besides your youth.

Again just my .02.
SFSalRet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:45   #19
Green Light
Quiet Professional

I would have to agree. I started out as an 05B2S/18E and changed PMOS to 12B3S/18C. I had a teenaged comms background which made sense (originally wanted to be a medic).

My MOS basics were OK, but infantry background was somewhat lacking. If you want to be a well rounded SF guy you're going to need both sides. As a young guy, think about Ranger School. It's probably the best junior leadership/tactics school there is. Or you can go on a 6 month trip to the jungle and learn it the hard way.

BTW: Gotta say that my two best team sergeants were a medic and a commo man. 18Bs don't have the corner on the leadership quotient. Some of the best patrols I've ever been on were led by medics. The most jacked up patrol I've ever been on (except for a couple led by captains ) was led by an 18B. Depends on the guy, not the MOS.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:35   #20
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Depends on the guy, not the MOS.
And that's a fact, Jack!

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:27   #21
SFSalRet08
Quiet Professional

Soft skilled

Not to get off subject, but I just don’t understand why they always class the Echo’s and Delta’s as the soft skilled MOS’s. As a few PS’s have stated in other threats, SF guys were SF first and MOS secondary. On my last team one Bravo was prior cook and the other was an MP. Are one Charlie had been a mortar man, while I and my senior were both from Ranger Battalion and both had been to Ranger School. We both had leadership experience, and were both over looked when it came to teaching any combat related classes to our students down range. As I had stated in my last post being of different MOS related makes for a well rounded candidate. Now our Bravo when it came time for the team parties, cooked one hell of a steak and burger. YUM!
SFSalRet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:57   #22
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSalRet08 View Post
Not to get off subject, but I just don’t understand why they always class the Echo’s and Delta’s as the soft skilled MOS’s.
Cuz the Echo’s and Delta’s stuff isn't 'sposed to go "BOOM".
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:03   #23
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Ever seen a Lithium battery "Vent"

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:04   #24
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Ever seen a Lithium battery "Vent"
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 23:11   #25
Draco771
BANNED USER

I've been going over a lot of the information regarding this thread, and many others. For the current moment in time, I'm Med DQ from the Army, (at least according to several diff Recruiters) let alone the other branches. (For now)

Background info:
So I've enrolled into a local CC, and I'll be taking Electronics Technology, and Secondary Major towards Certificate of Computer Information Systems-Network Technician.

By the end of this school year if I keep following the pipeline outlined, by end of Summer Quarter (2011) I should have obtained, and take the ComptTIA Network+ test. I'll also be able to challenge the CCENT, and LCIP-1, CompTIA Server+, MCDBA, MCSA, and CompTIA A+.

By end of the two year program, I'll have CCNA, CCSP, CompTIA Security+, CETa, and a few other certs because of the course of instruction. Per a Recruiters recommendations, he stated me following this pipeline, will allow me to ACASP into 25B, and 25U. 25B I'd be fast tracked to the last three weeks, and 25U I'd have AIT completely waived. (According to the Recruiter)

Also, he had stated by doing ACASP, my med DQ would be automatically waived because of being "overqualified for the MOS" (saving the Army $$$) same Recruiter even stated I could even go straight from civilian side into a Network Technician Warrant Officer. Whether or not this is true, I'll find out once I'm finished with schooling.

Question:
I've been reading a great deal about what MOSs go into what, and how much "better" it is to be in something different than the SF MOS related to the career field. Is this a good summary?

If so, provided I'm able to finish my school pipeline, and all is good to go, other than 18E, (reading this thread in particular regarding 25U feeding into 18E) what other MOS would be good? If what I've been told is correct, 25U is the MOS AIT I can have waived and automatically awarded once finished. (so most likely it'll be the MOS I'll be Enlisting as, way I was told it works, is I submit my school transcripts, and copies of my certifications, then I get a BCT date, BAC date, and RASP if Option 40 is open or I take Option 4. With 25U AIT completely bypassed, which is why this relates to 25U going SF)

I've read for quite some time now, (going on years) on how SF Commanders want Soldiers to be well rounded, and universal, but yet I've read several threads/posts over the past few years on how there aren't enough 18Es. And how SF Teams do a great deal of cross training. I understand this is a rephrase to the question, but where else would one with 25U Creds be good in an ODA?

And if so, how often do QPs outside of 18E perform both their duties, and the duties of an 18E? How would this benefit an ODA?
Draco771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 23:58   #26
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Draco,

I wondered where you wuz!

Last time you checked in, as I recall, you were in Job Corps. Whatever happened there, if you don't mind me asking?

Your post was a LONG set-up for what will be a short answer. My time in SF is not current, but as I recall, it isn't the former MOS you bring with you, it is your abilities and attitude.

Good luck. It sounds like it will be a verrrrry long, and winding, road.
Old 08-04-2010, 00:06   #27
Draco771
BANNED USER

Thank you ZonieDiver, that actually cleared up quite a bit.

Just the fact of getting into SOF, let alone SF, (or Rangers, first thing I'll be looking into is Option 40, mainly because of the "no quit" attitude they put into you from day one, that, and Signal Guys in 75th seem quite high speed lol)

I graduated as Head Crew Chief of Nursing. State Registered Nursing Assistant, and Certified Home Health Aide. but now working Logistics (unloading the trucks, and maintain distribution of supplies/materials across the complex I work) part-time while attending school this fall for an ATA in Electronics Technology, with secondary set in Computer Information Systems-Network Technician.

Back at Job Corps I had an opportunity to apply for RSM Manager for the regular side of the REC, but it would have ment a longer commitment, (one I had initially finished, and was ready to move on)

When I get a "break" I'll be looking into an NREMT-B course on top of my regular studies. Even if it's just something to have on hand. (Better to have, and not need it, then need it, and not have it. Ya know?) All I have to do is attend 40 more hours of schooling, and I can already challenge the NREMT-B exam. (JC training for ya, they go above and beyond what's needed, but then, it's kinda bad, because when JC students go into the Civ Workforce, we end up with elitist attitudes vs the three week wonders, whether or not that's good, is still up to debate)

So now I'm just keeping myself situated, and saving money.

And I understand the road is going to be long. But if it's what I need to do in order to Enlist, it's what I'll do. (I've already waited two years, another two wont really make much of a difference to me)

Last edited by Draco771; 08-04-2010 at 00:10.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:17   #28
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Med DQs are not overcome by additional training and skills, last time I checked.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:08   #29
Draco771
BANNED USER

Way it was put to me, was that if I ACASP, likelyhood of getting a waiver for using an inhaler for pneumonia at age 17, would be increased exponentially.

I'll find out if it's valid or not when the schooling is completed.