Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 11-25-2008, 22:32   #1
DeMo180a
Quiet Professional

Location: High ground somewhere in the GREAT Pacific Northwest
Exclamation Alien Antenna?

Hey guys,

I need some help. I had a long meeting with the inventor of this antenna which he claims can send/receive full duplex commo on several frequency ranges at the same time. Yup. I know it sounds like alien technology, and I have some test data from a chamber at NASA but it just seems too good to be true.

He insists this antenna passively tunes to any radio you plug it into, and it
can handle as much power as you want to pump through it (only limited by the
size of the transmission cable). The antenna can tune to freqs which go from 2Mhz to 5.8 Ghz with the same antenna.

It will supposedly freq hops - no problem - and based on the data I saw it averages a minimum 6dbi - true gain.

Needless to say, I don’t believe him but can’t prove him wrong. Is there anyone that has access to a chamber in SOF so I can get feedback from operators and not rock scientist! My expectations are low, but if this antenna can do ½ of what he claims it does it will revolutionize LOS comms. One antenna for all my radios, with a better dB gain than the antennas we commonly use AND its the size of a
Paperback book. No more antennas getting caught on brush, tree limbs, door frames, rotor blades, etc. One more thing, I guess because the way that its constructed it can take substantial damage and still transmit ‘cause its a fractional antenna.

Anyway, can someone help me out in vetting these claims .

Thanks all-
DeMo
DeMo180a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:55   #2
Griv
Quiet Professional

Question

Is there any literature on the web about this antenna?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:37   #3
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

I found this digging around.

DeMo, was the term Hexagonal and Pentagonal Fractal Multiband Antennas used?

Off the top I am thinking that in spite of the capabilites of the antenna you would still need to have a radio that was capable of discriminating between all the signals that are out there in that wide of a band. I have sat through some briefs on emerging MIMO technology, but the systems were operating on distinct bands that provided sufficient frequency separation in order to limit interference. The number of antennas was reduced, but there were still multiple systems being operated.

The short article has some diagrams associated (follow the link at the bottom)but no reference to scale. There is a Tech paper that I just pulled up...it required registering on the NASA Tech Briefs site.

Hexagonal and Pentagonal Fractal Multiband Antennas
John F. Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Friday, July 01 2005

These antennas could be suitable for multifunctional wireless-communication products.

Multiband dipole antennas based on hexagonal and pentagonal fractals have been analyzed by computational simulations and functionally demonstrated in experiments on prototypes. These antennas are capable of multiband or wideband operation because they are subdivided into progressively smaller substructures that resonate at progressively higher frequencies by virtue of their smaller dimensions.

The novelty of the present antennas lies in their specific hexagonal and pentagonal fractal configurations and the resonant frequencies associated with them. These antennas are potentially applicable to a variety of multiband and wide-band commercial wireless-communication products operating at different frequencies, including personal digital assistants, cellular telephones, pagers, satellite radios, Global Positioning System receivers, and products that combine two or more of the aforementioned functions. Perhaps the best-known prior multiband antenna based on fractal geometry is the Sierpinski triangle antenna (also known as the Sierpinski gasket), shown in the top part of the figure. In this antenna, the scale length at each iteration of the fractal is half the scale length of the preceding iteration, yielding successive resonant frequencies related by a ratio of about 2. The middle and bottom parts of the figure depict the first three iterations of the hexagonal and pentagonal fractals along with typical dipole-antenna configuration based on the second iteration. Successive resonant frequencies of the hexagonal fractal antenna have been found to be related by a ratio of about 3, and those of the pentagonal fractal antenna by a ratio of about 2.59.

This work was done by Philip W. Tang of Kennedy Space Center and Parveen Wahid of the University of Central Florida. For further information, access the Technical Support Package (TSP) free on-line at www.techbriefs.com/tsp under the Electronics/ Computers category. KSC-12393/482

http://www.techbriefs.com/component/.../122?task=view

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 11-26-2008 at 05:43.
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:39   #4
Electron
Guerrilla

Multiplexer

If you were to plug more than one radio into a single antenna, wouldn't you would still need a multiplexer?
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:44   #5
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
If you were to plug more than one radio into a single antenna, wouldn't you would still need a multiplexer?
I would see a multiplexer significant if all signals were being processed and distributed to a single end point. I believe what is being proposed is the transmission of distinct signals to disparate systems and locations.
The signal path is not the same and it isn't a composite signal.

Not sure if I am expressing myself clearly.....

James Madison
Old 11-26-2008, 06:50   #6
albeham
Quiet Professional

Do you have the white paper on this antenna with a picture of it?
albeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:36   #7
greg700
Asset

Can't speak for what would have to be done equipment-wise in order to handle multiple sets transmitting on different frequencies simultaneously without burning out any other radio plugged into the same antenna, but any antenna should be able to transmit multiple frequencies simultaneously. The antenna will transmit the two signals combined. It's just a matter of how resonant each freq. is for the given antenna. All the receiving radio is going to do is deconvolve the signal using a fourier transform...which they already do....in order to isolate the frequency they are looking for. As far as a listening radio is concerned, it doesn't matter where the *extra* frequencies that are being transmitted come from...might as well be the FM station down the street because the radio is still going to filter them out.

I don't see how you could receive on the same antenna that is actively transmitting without burning out your receiver though.

Last edited by greg700; 11-26-2008 at 12:40.
greg700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 20:56   #8
brushingham.d
Asset

would like to help

I work in the force mod shop over at and I think after the holidays I may be able to get this into a test down in Tampa, it would take a few calls but I think it could work out, if this does do half of what it say's it will do then it would be something that every commo guy should have even if he is not tx on multiple freq's at the same time at least he won't have to change out ant. If you would like to push this to testing just drop me a line and I will give you my contact info
brushingham.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 00:27   #9
DeMo180a
Quiet Professional

Test Chamber

I would definately be interested in getting this antenna chambered.
I did my first field testing of it using an Motorola XTS 5000 (http://www.motorola.com/business/US-...008406b00aRCRD) radio and the bottom line results were that LOS comms using the standard antenna I could reach out .9 miles consistantly with 5X comms. When I switched out the antenna to the Alien Antenna I was able to reach out to 1.6 miles. So that was in increase of .7 miles!!!
Not too shabby at all for just swapping out an antenna, eh?
Send me an email or feel free to call me at 877-772-8383 and we'll talk about making arrangements if you can do it, okay?
Thanks so much for your help!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:58   #10
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMo180a View Post
I would definately be interested in getting this antenna chambered.
I did my first field testing of it using an Motorola XTS 5000 (http://www.motorola.com/business/US-...008406b00aRCRD) radio and the bottom line results were that LOS comms using the standard antenna I could reach out .9 miles consistantly with 5X comms. When I switched out the antenna to the Alien Antenna I was able to reach out to 1.6 miles. So that was in increase of .7 miles!!!
Not too shabby at all for just swapping out an antenna, eh?
Send me an email or feel free to call me at 877-772-8383 and we'll talk about making arrangements if you can do it, okay?
Thanks so much for your help!
Hey DeMo, VHF or UHF?

Shoot me a PM if you develop any opinions on building penetration as you play around with it.

R10

James Madison
Old 12-05-2008, 07:15   #11
albeham
Quiet Professional

Yep keep us in the loop about this antenna. I know a little about antennas, but like you its good to really test the hell out of it to see what it really can do. Paper can lie.

AL
Old 12-06-2008, 01:24   #12
DeMo180a
Quiet Professional

Conservative Outlook

Guys,
I will definately keep you in the loop. Bottom line is BHI isn't gonna sell junk. Never had, never will. I hope to do some more field testing next week with old 18E buddy of mine. He said we'll be able to test out an MBITR, a 117 and we are even gonna try and bounce a satellite (what the heck - that's why they call it field testing right).
Anyways, I'm pessimistic but hopeful that it can do 1/2 of what it should be able to do. Just the stupid XTS 5000 test shows that it's got something under the hood.

Ret10Echo: You know, I don't even know if it was VHF or UHF. BHI HQs sent me the radios with the freq's already loaded, so I just picked Channel 2. I'll try and find out for you though, okay?

I'll let you know what happens next week (fingers crossed).
Have a great weekend all -
DeMo
Old 02-12-2009, 00:57   #13
DeMo180a
Quiet Professional

Still waiting....

Hey guys,
Just wanted to give you another update on the antenna. I'm still trying to coordinate with the R&D unit to test the Alien Antenna. It's just a matter of scheduling, so it's only a matter of time until I get feedback. He's doing me a favor so I am on their schedule; we will get it tested though and I'll let you know if it's "Money" or if it's "Back to the drawing board" when he does have an opportunity to test it, okay?
Thanks for your patience!
DeMo
ken@bhigear.com
Old 02-12-2009, 08:40   #14
albeham
Quiet Professional

Cool... I await for your AAR..

Old 02-19-2009, 23:47   #15
DeMo180a
Quiet Professional

Ready for release!

Hey guys,
I've got good news guys, the 5 watt version of the alien atenna is ready for testing!

What are the benefits of this antenna over a normal antenna?
- It is about the size of two credit cards stacked on top of each other and sprayed with a truck bed liner.
- So no more antenna sticking over your shoulder or catching on gear.
- No more rotor strikes or catching your antenna on door frames.
- No more antenna sticking you in the back as you ride in your vehicle!
- No more being identified as the commo guy by snipers. (my favorite)

Again, this particular antenna is only to be used with handheld radio's like the Falcon III, EFJohnson handhelds, or Motorola XTS5000, 2500 or the THALES MBITR. This is the antenna that brought me a 80% increase in distance by just replacing the standard antenna on a Motorola XTS5000.

I've only got a limited amount of antenna's to test, so please be understanding if you have to wait for someone else to test them and return them before I can get them out to the next group of guys. 1st SFG(A) is first in the hopper for testing during a traning exercise (if I can get them here in time).

The cost hasn't been determined yet, but it will be comparable to most high end whip antenna's currently on the market.

Please give me a call or you can email me if you are interested in trying them out! (see below for contact info). Oh ya, if you haven't considered our zinc air batteries check out my other posting on the lighter smaller batteries now available to the force!

DeMo
ken@bhigear.com
www.bhigear.com