Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18B

Old 06-06-2007, 01:52   #1
KSC
SF Candidate

Unwritten artillery rocket spec

Lately, my unit has been trying to identify POO sites for the rocket attacks that have been occasionally occuring in my AO. Through crater analysis we've determined the direction and have ruled out the possibility of mortars. So to my question, can anyone give me a guesstimation as to the max range of a 107mm rocket fired without a tube? I can't find any specs as to the range or characteristics of a rocket fired without the tube, I'm willing bet there was no militry testing done in this fashion. Also, there is a tool I've seen several times which is placed against the side of a mortar tube or rocket to measure it's quadrant, or angle- like a gunners quadrant as they are called in the artillery world. The one I am reffering to gives you a reading, and doesn't have a micrometer and bubbles. Anyone know what this is called?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:42   #2
7624U
Quiet Professional

Im thinking What your discribing sounds like a Katyusha rocket they have a range between 5-20Km depending on the size. Iraq had lots of them and they are a favorite of Hezbollah also.

How many are hitting or fired at a time ?
If it one or two most likely they have the frame of the launcher hid and they drive up with a few in the back of a pickup truck. launch and leave.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:23   #3
KSC
SF Candidate

Yes, we're almost positive that they are 107mm Katyusha rockets, since that's the only type of rocket artillery we've descovered in the area. I was wondering whether or not the range would be effected by not being luanched from a tube. Since they've originated from remote areas and AWTs and SWTs have been unable to find any type of luanch platform in the area shortly after the attacks, I've been playing with the idea that they've been fired from a few wadis and had probably been propped up on rocks or the sides of steep hills or banks. I was wondering how the range might be effected since I know the spin stabilized 107mm rockets are fired from a tube and not a rail or track like the fin stabilized katyushas.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:28   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I have seen mobile launchers and improvised launchers which were basically troughs of two boards nailed together at 90 degrees to form a V shape.

Have you a counterbattery radar unit available in your AO to help pinpoint the launch sites? You can do it from the crater, but the radar is much more accurate, particularly for ranging.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:37   #5
jwt5
Guerrilla

PM inbound
Old 06-06-2007, 08:24   #6
Snaquebite
Area Commander

These are Qassam rockets but you can see how simple the launcher rails can be.

qassam-launch.jpg

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:19   #7
KSC
SF Candidate

you would think getting the firefinder up would be a priorty, but they didn't have anything for us when a 107 did a lawn dart. It was a dud and was said to make a helicopter/pulsating sound on the way in. I don't think an artillery round would tumble near it's max range like a rifle round, unless maybe it was fired at very high velocity and a lower trajectory. Then again, that's why I'm not an expert. That might or might not have had something to do with it not detonating. Too bad those RKG-3s don't misfire...

Last edited by KSC; 06-06-2007 at 12:41.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:36   #8
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

KSC,

PM sent

V/R,
Old 06-08-2008, 12:49   #9
zauber1
Auxiliary

Firefinder vs Rockets

Firefinder will be pretty ineffective against incoming rockets. The trajectory is too flat and even though the radar observes the incoming round, its software filters out the round and classifies it as not conforming to the profile of a mortar or artillery projectile. It then discards the round and never reports it to the operator.

In Lebanon, there were difficulties to register and adjust the 16 inch rounds from the battleship USS New Jersey. The software essentially said that something that big can't fly or if it is flying, it ain't a projectile.

Is that helpful?
Old 06-08-2008, 21:13   #10
jwt5
Guerrilla

The OP is over a year old.. I'm guessing the poster is either back from his trip or getting ready to return....
Old 07-08-2008, 22:39   #11
45K40
Asset

KSC,

The tool you seek is called an inclinometer. Comes in analog (hanging pointer) or digital. I have the digital type and it measures angle in mils or degrees (see Google for Lucas AngleStar). Sears Craftsman and other big tool companies make analog types (used to measure driveshaft angle).

45K40
Old 04-08-2009, 06:59   #12
TFM
Guerrilla

Tech Question

Does anyone know the minimum distance that at 107mm katyusha rocket can be fired at? Is the detonation requirement based on so many turns of the rocket, or the impact at the nose, or a combination of both. I would appreciate the expertise.

Thanks,
TFM

Last edited by TFM; 04-08-2009 at 07:03.
TFM is offline   Reply With Quote