Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-06-2007, 20:49   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

New Army Combat Shirt

LINK

Crye rip off and the logo is gay, but it should be better under the vests. Any bets as to whether the CSMs will let the troops wear it without BA on?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 21:12   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

If they look like the model, I would.

Never had a troop like that before.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 21:23   #3
abc_123
Quiet Professional

you can't wear that shirt without the body armor as long as it's got that gay logo in front (or w/o a little modification with a sharpie marker)
Old 05-06-2007, 21:48   #4
jatx
Area Commander

They should come up with an ACU vest that stows easily and can be put on quickly once your gear is grounded. That would satisfy the requirement for name tapes and rank patches.

I like what appears to be a reduction in the square footage of velcro on the sleeves. That stuff just ends up looking like shag carpet after you've been in the field anyway.

Not so sure that I like the Al Gore-esque mock turtleneck. A simple crew neck would have been better.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT

Last edited by jatx; 05-06-2007 at 21:52.
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 22:48   #5
groundup
Auxiliary

Maybe it is just the picture, but the pockets seem a lot smaller than the ACU top. Also, am I reading this correctly that there is going to be another set of clothing including pants? They are calling them Army Combat Pants and Army Combat Shirt. So when I go to my supply Sergeant and say I need new pants, I am going to get one or the other? Oh boy, seems like another logistical nightmare that could be averted with a simple name change. Is this supposed to replace my nomex uniform?
groundup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:44   #6
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Any bets as to whether the CSMs will let the troops wear it without BA on?
I am sure you can gauge my current CSM's position without me even going there.
As a side....
Why is the center silohuetted with the foliage green? Fashion sense???
I also think the logo is rather gay....but like how the primary model really sticks it out there for us to see
This is a GREAT set up too. When the Army changes it's logo and slogan in another couple of years (for another 2 Billion dollars)....they get to rebid the entire contract .
Joe's are going to be beside themselves with all the friggin uniform "choices" they are going to have to keep up with. For the rest of us-it will just be one more thing we have to buy...

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:05   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

Ah, the poor SGMs and CSMs

Quote:
LINK

.... Any bets as to whether the CSMs will let the troops wear it without BA on?
Ah, the poor SGMs and CSMs. The Army has once again changed uniforms but this time they've come out with something between a T-shirt and Uniform jacket, although it leans to a jacket.

If you were in your T-shirt you used to be working/detail or off duty relaxing. Now? Who knows. Look for local reg's to come out baning it's wear without DCUs. Imagin, with hundreds walking around the PX, all the higherups who will fail to get their salutes?

How many months ago and we were talking about the change in the dress uniforms to Blues?

Whats wrong with just a few combat uniforms for different utility (pilots/grunts), made in a few different camo patterns and when you come out with a better material, change it?

Pete
Who liked the old gray sweats, cheap and long lasting.

edit: First Post of the Day - only one eye open and not enough coffee yet.

Last edited by Pete; 05-07-2007 at 04:32.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:11   #8
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Pete
Who liked the old gray sweats, cheap and long lasting.
AMEN TO THAT!!!

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:36   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx
They should come up with an ACU vest that stows easily and can be put on quickly once your gear is grounded. That would satisfy the requirement for name tapes and rank patches.

I like what appears to be a reduction in the square footage of velcro on the sleeves. That stuff just ends up looking like shag carpet after you've been in the field anyway.

Not so sure that I like the Al Gore-esque mock turtleneck. A simple crew neck would have been better.
They can steal the vest from the same place they stole the shirt.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:49   #10
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
They can steal the vest from the same place they stole the shirt.
LOL, maybe they'll steal a new pattern while they're at it...

Think this shirt will drive CSM's crazy? Wait until someone wears the black fleece over it.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
Old 05-07-2007, 07:58   #11
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

The design reminds me of those baseball shirt/concert t-shirts that were popular in the late seventies. Can I get mine with a Krokus logo on front and tour dates on the back?

Seriously, I thought the ACU was a combat uniform. What is that now? The Army's casual spring line? I guess if it's a better, flame resistant fabric then maybe the ForcePro benefits outweight the irritation at having one more uniform item for the SMGs of the world to micromanage.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:06   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Time for our regular mention of how great it was having the OG 107 jungles for all field environments (less than $15 per set, DXable), and khakis for Class Bs.

The ACU is a disaster, and matches very little, other than as jammies on floral patterened sofas. The Multi-cam is a much better pattern for almost all environments, and is a more practical uniform as well.

Just my .02.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:26   #13
Sionnach
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Time for our regular mention of how great it was having the OG 107 jungles for all field environments (less than $15 per set, DXable), and khakis for Class Bs.

The ACU is a disaster, and matches very little, other than as jammies on floral patterened sofas. The Multi-cam is a much better pattern for almost all environments, and is a more practical uniform as well.

Just my .02.

TR
I like the principle of the shirt, but I'm not real fond of the execution. What the hell is the logo for? I don't wear designer logos on my regular clothes, so I sure as hell don't want a logo on my combat uniform. It is modeled very nicely

The pocket has a zipper on the side instead of the normal velcro top-opening flap. I'm sure this makes it easier to access in armor, but opening a zipper when your hands are frozen can be an exercise in frustration. Add a pair of gloves, and the pocket could be useless.

The ACU pattern stands out like a neon light in the Georgia woods. The only place I think it would work in the US is the OK panhandle and Southwest Kansas... it would fit right in with the greyish sagebrush and buffalo grass.

As an aside, is there any place that still sells the sateen OG 107 jungles, all I can find are OD BDU's?
Sionnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15   #14
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionnach
I'm sure this makes it easier to access in armor, but opening a zipper when your hands are frozen can be an exercise in frustration. Add a pair of gloves, and the pocket could be useless.
I think the new shirt is only intended for warm weather wear, when the ACU coat is too hot under armor. In cold weather, I expect we'll still wear the regular ACU coat, since you can place layers underneath it. This new one looks too form-fitting to make layering effective.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:29   #15
Sionnach
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx
I think the new shirt is only intended for warm weather wear, when the ACU coat is too hot under armor. In cold weather, I expect we'll still wear the regular ACU coat, since you can place layers underneath it. This new one looks too form-fitting to make layering effective.
Thanks for the heads-up, jatx. I've never worn the ACU or the new body armor, so I didn't know what I didn't know.
Sionnach is offline   Reply With Quote