Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-09-2014, 22:19   #1
JamesIkanov
Asset

Question Impact Device Flash hiders?

Hello there! I am currently in the long and budget constraining process of assembling an AR-15 from parts. To make a long story short, I found a particular flash hider that I think looks quite appealing and like it will get its job done. However, it claims to also have the multiple purposes of being used with specific ammo types to "break padlock shanks and fencing", as well as being very sharp and easily made even sharper. I don't so much doubt the first claim, so much as I am curious of any experiences some of you may have had with "impact device" flash hiders, or in other words, something you mount on the end of your barrel in lieu of a bayonet. This particular one would fall into what I believe is called a shark tooth style flash hider, as opposed to a blunter weapon, it is supposed to be sharp enough to inflict stabbing wounds.

Since it was asked for:

http://shadowopsweaponry.com/product...re-cutter.aspx

I make no comment on the name of the website, only that the product looks cool.

Last edited by JamesIkanov; 05-09-2014 at 23:09.
JamesIkanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 22:31   #2
wishbone
Quiet Professional

The name of this component or a link would be helpful.
When the war drums rolled and the dark clouds gathered. Through the smoke as it rose from the burning huts. A brotherly band of hard dangerous men who held the fire in our hands and the storm in our souls
-Chas Lotter
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 23:23   #3
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Three things, 1) I don't see the need for any sharp pointy impact device on the end of my rifle you can easily muzzle punch somebody with a factory bird cage just as well as anything else. 2) If your close enough to muzzle punch a person you are also close enough for them to grab your weapon. And 3) if you have to muzzle punch someone why not just got to hard empty hands or less then lethal tools?

That looks like some jack wagon end of the world zombie BS to me.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:44   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

IMHO, the primary purpose of the flash suppressor is to suppress flash, and to an equal degree, protect the crown of the muzzle. All of the standard issued flash suppressors do that just fine.

If you need a pointy stabbing weapon, maybe you should just use a bayonet and be done with it.

I suspect that a solid poke from a standard birdcage is going to get someone's attention, particularly over a hard or bony part of the body. If not, you always have the trigger to pull.

Unless you are doing a lot of breaching, or have a need to collect a DNA sample, the curent fad of scary looking muzzle devices is largely a waste of money. The military has hundreds of billions of dollars in their budget. Do you regularly see this crap on any of their weapons?

Now, assuming that you have effectively stuck someone other than yourself with this neat device, how are you going to look in court with pics of your poor victim with a metric ton of stitches, and your rifle with said device as Exhibit A? If you make it through the criminal trial, the civil liability could bankrupt you.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote