Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 12-11-2014, 06:01   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Hundreds expected to participate in Fayetteville Unity March on Saturday

Hundreds expected to participate in Fayetteville Unity March on Saturday

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...eba995e5e.html

"A Fayetteville man is urging community residents and leaders to come together to demonstrate unity.

About 200 people are expected to march in a peaceful protest Saturday in Fayetteville. The march is aimed to show solidarity and bring together the community, said Swan Davis, an activist who organized the march.

"We just want to show solidarity and recognition of recent national events," Davis said. "We want to build a relationship with our police. We're definitely trying to bridge the gap and be a better community."...."

Got no problem with the march and have no problem with all of you who want to go.

But the march starts at 1:30PM and does the Skibo, Morganton, Mcpherson triangle around the Mall. Traffic sucks on a good day, it's close to Christmas and tons of folks will be headed there for shopping.

If you have to go to the Mall, go early and stay till it's over.

Just driving during that time period? By-pass the Mall area.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 17:10   #2
Sigaba
Area Commander

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
If you have to go to the Mall, go early and stay till it's over.

Just driving during that time period? By-pass the Mall area.
With respect, I recommend that if you intend to go to the mall, plan to leave by eleven or to arrive after seven. Park in a space that will minimize the time it will take you to get out of the lot as opposed to a space closer to your destination inside the mall itself. Ideally, you want to pre-plan a departure route that requires more right turns than left turns, and avoids pedestrian walk ways, main access roads, and parking bays that have ADA spaces. If possible, back in to the parking space. The imagery on Google Maps, if accurate, show angled parking spaces in most areas. Do what you can to avoid them.

Extending one's length of stay at the mall in order to wait out the demonstration may actually make matters worse for both drivers and parkers.

Last edited by Sigaba; 12-11-2014 at 17:14.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 17:26   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

The parking lot

The parking lot at the Mall hasn't been full since they shot fireworks from the back side in the 1980's.

They've even taken up some of the spots with a new mini mall thingy beside/attached to one of the L legs.

The problem is traffic out on the three roads. There is a state law that you're not supposed to enter an intersection unless you can clear it. It's great sport for many around here to get bumper to bumper and slide into an intersection and block it. So the folks with a cross traffic light gets to sit through a few light cycles while traffic behind them backs up - so they do the same thing when they get moving.

And if you stop on the white line because traffic is stopped just ahead of you, the next lane will fill up and then folks will cut in front of you and fill the intersection anyway.

Best thing would be to treat the protest like a funeral procession. Keep them in the left lane and use squad cars to clear/hold side traffic as they move along. The County Deputies got all that down to a science - but they only do it for funerals.
Old 12-11-2014, 18:07   #4
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
The problem is traffic out on the three roads. There is a state law that you're not supposed to enter an intersection unless you can clear it. It's great sport for many around here to get bumper to bumper and slide into an intersection and block it. So the folks with a cross traffic light gets to sit through a few light cycles while traffic behind them backs up - so they do the same thing when they get moving.
Sounds like Lee Jernigan and the traffic services division need to issue a RFP for a traffic study that would be produced by an independent institution. I would bet dollars to donuts that he and his team already have a lot of good ideas to address this issue but sometimes an independent study can help long voiced solutions a wider audience.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 18:24   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Given the character of the "usual suspects" I seriously doubt they'll complete the planned route. It'll probably disintegrate into chaos before it's half over and serve no purpose beyond exacerbating current hostilities.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 21:39   #6
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

I personal feel the business show have these protesters asserted and the cities should be charging them with protesting with out permits or not on a "public forums." Cities don't stop these they only turn into the ones like in Ferguson or California.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 22:15   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

I recommend folks go to the mall in Raleigh in the morning and stay all day. The mall in Fayettenam sucks ass anyway so why not get out of town and save yourself a headache.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:40   #8
stfesta
Quiet Professional

The march is aimed to show solidarity and bring together the community, said Swan Davis, an activist who organized the march.

Here's a great idea to show solidarity with Police Officers......obey the fucking law.

Don't try to beat up a police officer, don't burn down your town when said police officer defends himself.

I have never had an issue with the police. Could it be because I am a middle age white male? I bet it has something more to do with the fact that, I obey the fucking law.

Yes, stay away from that nasty ass mall. I try to avoid it no matter what the season.

Just my $0.02
sf
Old 12-14-2014, 06:50   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

Good size crowd

It appears they had a good size crowd for around here.

You have to watch the video clip as they were pretty strung out and thin on the ground.

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...b6f3023d0.html

Traffic signals trip pretty fast around the Mall so maybe someone might have been delayed one turn on the lights.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:31   #10
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Did not look like any other march. the makeup of the crowd was very one sided...
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 13:58   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I guess I am someone who doesn't get it.

I have teenage children. I have taught them to respect the law, and comply with instructions from officers. Wrongs can be redressed later. In court, if necessary. My son was stopped while walking through our neighborhood with a friend. He did as instructed, did not challenge the officer, and in three minutes, was on his way. I guess I should be upset that he was stopped for "walking while white."

Obey the LEO and save yourself the consequences. Is your show of bravado, disrespect or hate really worth your life?

White people breaking the law were killed by the cops this week too. No problems there, I guess.

Black people killed by the hundreds by other black people. No big deal, no public outcry. Were their lives less meaningful, or is the cause of death more acceptable?

White people were killed by black people recently in racially-based violent crimes. No issue there. Black privilege?

If you want to peacefully march and protest, that is your right as an American.

I can pretty much guarantee that a lot less people are killed in the vicinity of Cross Creek than a few blocks away in Bonnie Doone. Why not protest there and disrupt crime?

What is the real issue here?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote